Compass won't calibrate

vhc

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got the Phantom 3 in the mail.
Unfortunately I am unable to get the compass to calibrate at all.
I have the latest firmware, tried calibrating the compass out in an open field as well as indoors.
It keeps saying Compass Abnormal / Compass Error and when I try to calibrate on the facing the camera down part I get magnetic interference error. The horizontal facing calibration gives a green light.

Anyone have a clue what can be causing this?
I tried IMU calibration as well, but it would not help.

When I look at the sensors screen I see a big time interference in the compass line. Mod of a number bouncing around 350 rapidly.

Any help is appreciated before I try shipping it back to DJI.

Greetings
VHC

I assume your controller, cell phone, tablet, etc is nowhere near you when calibrating? Metal objects like car, big belt buckle, keys, etc?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I tried calibrating it in a wide open meadow but it still wouldn't let me calibrate, would a simple belt interfere with it while i try to calibrate it above my head by holding it up? Also, if someone could tell me what their compass sensor reads in the DJI Pilot App on a properly functioning compass I can see if there is a big difference or something maybe?
I read the other post about someone needing many attempts to calibrate, I am going at about 20 attempts right now :(

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I tried calibrating it in a wide open meadow but it still wouldn't let me calibrate, would a simple belt interfere with it while i try to calibrate it above my head by holding it up? Also, if someone could tell me what their compass sensor reads in the DJI Pilot App on a properly functioning compass I can see if there is a big difference or something maybe?
I read the other post about someone needing many attempts to calibrate, I am going at about 20 attempts right now :(
I dunno. But metal anything is bad news while doing the compass dance. Compass range should be 1400-1600 I believe. And try a different location than your house and the field.

I'll try a different location. Compass dance sounds like a charming ritual hehe.
I called DJI and they said the compass is most likely defect hardware-wise. Though I called a store and they said they sold 170 in the last week and 3 came back for compass which they found out were later customer errors in calibration. hmmm :)

Are you doing the compass calibration correctly?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi Kman,

Thanks for your response.
Yes exactly like in that video (I watched it prior).
It's really weird!

Hello,

I recently got the Phantom 3 in the mail.
Unfortunately I am unable to get the compass to calibrate at all.
I have the latest firmware, tried calibrating the compass out in an open field as well as indoors.
It keeps saying Compass Abnormal / Compass Error and when I try to calibrate on the facing the camera down part I get magnetic interference error. The horizontal facing calibration gives a green light.

Anyone have a clue what can be causing this?
I tried IMU calibration as well, but it would not help.

When I look at the sensors screen I see a big time interference in the compass line. Mod of a number bouncing around 350 rapidly.

Any help is appreciated before I try shipping it back to DJI.

Greetings
VHC

You're not alone! Mine has developed this problem after about 10 successful flights. My symptoms are a little different than yours though. Mine takes about 5 tries to calibrate then as soon as I lift off it throws a compass error and hovers in circles. Yes, I tried different areas, didn't have any metal or phone on me, and I did an IMU calibration. My P2V+ V1 has no problem getting calibrated and staying calibrated in the same takeoff spot. There's no way the compass should be that sensitive, especially since my P2V+ has had the same compass calibration for months and has yet to have a problem. It holds itself steadier than my P3P.

I'm going to give it some more tries today but I can already tell this is not normal. I may have to swap it for another one, I'll keep you posted. Hope yours either starts working or you can swap yours too!

Hey Yeeaaboi,

Thanks for your response.
I actually had a phone conversation with the tech support of DJI Europe.
They told me it should not be that sensitive at all, wallets belt buckets and stuff shouldn't matter.
Most likely we got unlucky and it's a faulty compass, told me to return it to the store and get another.

Bad luck is what I suspect, I called a shop they sold 170 in a few days (crazy!) and none of them had any issues like this.

Greetings

I just got a msg from my supplier btw that in 2 days there'll be a new firmware update and that it should fix a bunch of the compass issues.

I just got a msg from my supplier btw that in 2 days there'll be a new firmware update and that it should fix a bunch of the compass issues.
That's good to hear. I have a 30 day exchange period so if this update doesn't fix it, I'll just get a new one. Mine also started saying "IMU Warming Up" on almost every startup now and it takes a full minute to even start searching for satellites. I'm not complaining about a minute of time but it never said that the first 10 flights...

That's good to hear. I have a 30 day exchange period so if this update doesn't fix it, I'll just get a new one. Mine also started saying "IMU Warming Up" on almost every startup now and it takes a full minute to even start searching for satellites. I'm not complaining about a minute of time but it never said that the first 10 flights...
This thread answered my own question concerning the IMU warmup period.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/imu-calibration.41866/

If the op is still having issues make sure your not wearing any rings or watches.

I'll try to do IMU calibration now that it's been off all night and then try to calibrate the compass in my underwear.. lol :)

p.s. I wasnt wearing any rings or watches at the previous attempts :) thanks for the input though!

updating to the new firmware that was released today unfortunately did not fix the issue.
I'm sending it back.

How often do you need to calibrate the compass? I imagine more the better but my question is because I live in a high-rise condo and I'd like to start launching from the tennis court but its located on top of the parking garage. Could I in theory go 1 mile away to a park and calibrate and then come back and launch from above my parking garage? Thanks.

How often do you need to calibrate the compass? I imagine more the better but my question is because I live in a high-rise condo and I'd like to start launching from the tennis court but its located on top of the parking garage. Could I in theory go 1 mile away to a park and calibrate and then come back and launch from above my parking garage? Thanks.
I wouldn't trust that-- of course the parking garage has a lot of rebar and steel in the concrete-- but try it on the top floor where you can see sky, the P3 will let you know if the calibration was successful. I don't believe you can override that calibration command and I don't think it will let you launch without calibrating it. Mine has asked for calibration every time I have taken it out.

Yes. Calibration should be done if you travel 20+ miles from your last calibration.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31