compass error while out on water

Reaction score
yesterday i had my p4 out taking great video of our sit down hydrfoiling day. Towards the end of my 2nd battery I was bringing it in and as it approached the boat it stopped responding directly to the sticks. It then began really bizarre behavior, including spinning maniacally and darting up and down with no stick involvement. While I applied stick controls it responded oddly but I was able to get it in although we were scared a bit as it was erratic.

Now- here is my admission, I missed some beeping/warning on screen, I watch the bird when coming in close for a hand grab, not the screen. The beeping, in hindsight, was a compass error.

In healthy drones/airdata, there is no real sign of the compass error however in the data provided back on screen.

While out on the water, twice I flew under some power lines that spanned across the lake, where we were going. Would the power lines have introduced anything to cause the compass to go wonky?

Here is a link to the airdata:
Here is a link to a quick edit, 3 clips to show anyone what sit down hydrofoiling is, then a clip of the behavior of the drone as it came down and was spinning.:

Yes, I feel lucky to have avoided a water crash.

Any help would be appreciated,

Steve

I missed some beeping/warning on screen, I watch the bird when coming in close for a hand grab, not the screen. The beeping, in hindsight, was a compass error.
There is no compass error in this flight. The beeping was the low battery warning. You did have a "Not Enough Force/ESC" error momentarily, but that was at the very end of the flight and most likely due to "hand catching" the aircraft. From this data, it "appears" as though you were commanding the spin. If not, then you have an RC issue. The aircraft was responding to your commanded yaw otherwise.

Capture.PNG

thanks for the quick response, I did however catch a glimpse of a compass error message (I am pretty sure), as I mentioned I was watching the bird as I brought it in. If RC issue, any way to diagnose that or recalibrate the sticks maybe to take care of it?

If RC issue, any way to diagnose that or recalibrate the sticks maybe to take care of it?
You can try calibrating the sticks. Adding in the throttle signal as below, your stick apparently were not centered. Primarily the left stick. You can see the yaw commands along with the throttle.

Capture2.PNG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20