Compass Error/Replacement

Reaction score
Yesterday evening flying I found my radar giving me unusual references for example showing the bird behind me when it was clearly in front. Initially thought it could be due to using windsurfers and echo (misguided!).

This morning, sitting stationary I noticed that the compass was pointing the opposite way. I calibrated, several times, in several locations. It is still showing between 90-45 degrees off. But I'm not getting any compass abnormality errors either...

To make things worse, this reading is not consistent. Sitting in the middle of the lawn the compass rotates whilst stationary....Here's a quick film of the issue.

I've flown multiple times successfully at this location. Middle of nowhere.

Can anyone suggest a course of action? I can't be bothered with the fuss of warranty claim for a $15 compass replacement.

In your judgement is this what I need to do?

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but is the compass on your tablet calibrated?

What tablet and phone is this happening on?
I believe this is a device issue and has nothing to do with the quad.
Mine has done this. As far as it sitting and the red indicator moving, this stopped one I started flying.
As far as it being behind when the bird is in the front, etc, I run a compass app called 360. Run it, calibrate it. I then leave it running in the background and launch the Go app.
This fixed my radar discrepancies on an Nvidia K1, which runs on Android.
JMO

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
What tablet and phone is this happening on?
I believe this is a device issue and has nothing to do with the quad.
Mine has done this. As far as it sitting and the red indicator moving, this stopped one I started flying.
As far as it being behind when the bird is in the front, etc, I run a compass app called 360. Run it, calibrate it. I then leave it running in the background and launch the Go app.
This fixed my radar discrepancies on an Nvidia K1, which runs on Android.
JMO

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Occurring on Samsung Galaxy Tab s 8.4 and a new Nexus 6p. Both Android.

I also flew it into a hover to see if it corrected, it didn't. I also did a figure 8, spun it 360 and it ended up exactly the same. Nevertheless, I'll give what you suggested a go.

I always thought the compass indication would be from the AC, not the tabet/phone. How does it determine where it's facing - surely it must be from the AC itself, in which case I can't see how sorting the compass on the phone will help!

I always thought the compass indication would be from the AC, not the tabet/phone. How does it determine where it's facing - surely it must be from the AC itself, in which case I can't see how sorting the compass on the phone will help!
Radar display issues like you describe are due to the compass in your tablet and not the Phantom.
The Phantom knows exactly which way it's pointing but an out of calibration tablet, doesn't know how to display this properly.

Wouldn't he be better looking at the arrow on the map view, that shows the direction the phantom is facing relative to the ground and is derived from information from the on board compass.
As already stated the radar view relies on information from the tablet/phone as well as the aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl