Compass Error Intermittently Popping up?

Reaction score
Hi there,

Had a major problem with my drone not responding and flying back to me...

Here is the original post:

http://www.phantompilots.com/index.php?threads/Weird-behaviour-shortly-after-takeoff....92522

Sent it to DJI, they claimed nothing wrong with it, however they still carried out £100 worth of work and I'm happy with that, it's like a new drone!

They did the test flight, all okay...problem is I get intermittent errors when flying.

I calibrate compass before each flight, I've done a IMU calibration.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Make sure the compass plug is fully inserted into the board on one end and into the compass on the other. Make sure the cable is sound and not crimped - especially the little tiny colored wires on each end.

Make sure the compass plug is fully inserted into the board on one end and into the compass on the other. Make sure the cable is sound and not crimped - especially the little tiny colored wires on each end.
This has just come back from DJI, I assume they would check this? This is the error report, I think its a little more complicated, what do you think?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 22.22.37.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 22.22.37.png
    375.7 KB · Views: 382
Hi there,

Had a major problem with my drone not responding and flying back to me...

Here is the original post:

http://www.phantompilots.com/index.php?threads/Weird-behaviour-shortly-after-takeoff....92522

Sent it to DJI, they claimed nothing wrong with it, however they still carried out £100 worth of work and I'm happy with that, it's like a new drone!

They did the test flight, all okay...problem is I get intermittent errors when flying.

I calibrate compass before each flight, I've done a IMU calibration.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
I remember your other thread. Yours I think was one of the early reports of compass and rapid mode change issues. @alokbhargava suspected a FW issue then, and several others are also thinking that now, or an app issue.

If you've been watching the forum since then, you may have seen that we have recently been getting many people posting new threads asking about suddenly getting compass errors, having compass calibration issues, or rapidly switching between ATTI and GPS modes during flight. Since compass issues are so serious, we'd like to be able to find something common in all of these sudden reports.

Last edited:
I remember your other thread. Yours I think was one of the early reports of compass and rapid mode change issues. @alokbhargava suspected a FW issue then, and several others are also thinking that now, or an app issue.

If you've been watching the forum since then, you may have seen that we have recently been getting many people posting new threads asking about suddenly getting compass errors, having compass calibration issues, or rapidly switching between ATTI and GPS modes during flight.

I've not been watching the forum lately.

It's slightly reassuring that it's not just me with the problem.

I must admit it flys pretty much perfectly apart from the occasional compass Error. Hopefully DJI are working on a fix.

I'll have a browse of the other topics and get a sense of what's been going on.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Oso
I've not been watching the forum lately.

It's slightly reassuring that it's not just me with the problem.

I must admit it flys pretty much perfectly apart from the occasional compass Error. Hopefully DJI are working on a fix.

I'll have a browse of the other topics and get a sense of what's been going on.

Thanks!

Here's a good start if you did want to check out some of the others.
Since it's a compass issue, as always be very cautious.
These are filtered to be only since October 1.

http://www.phantompilots.com/search...ors&o=relevance&c[date]=1475305200&c[node]=81

Last edited:
Reactions: nixonO4
Compass errors.
I am a new P3A pilot and had 2 compass errors during flights. I had been calibrating the compass every flight whilst too near to my home with rebar and concrete, wifi etc. It seems it´s best to calibrate the compass in a field, well away from those things and only calibrate compass once unless you move 100 miles+ from your location. Choosing a good better location for calibration should work.

Compass errors.
I am a new P3A pilot and had 2 compass errors during flights. I had been calibrating the compass every flight whilst too near to my home with rebar and concrete, wifi etc. It seems it´s best to calibrate the compass in a field, well away from those things and only calibrate compass once unless you move 100 miles+ from your location. Choosing a good better location for calibration should work.

Cheers,

I'll try this, however I usually always calibrate in good locations.

I'll do a full calibration, IMU and all that. See where I get to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT