Compass error help

Reaction score
OK for my last six flights I keep getting a compass air at start up I've done the compass dance about 20 times doesn't seem to want to take says safe to fly atti so I take off after about one minute of flight everything back to green and working perfect and I flown six full batteries with no issues with over 15,000 feet in range now it does not do it every time but almost everything is updated can't figure out the issue anyone and ideasI am still flying version 1.1.9 as I have not updated further due to other issues being brought up I am however flying the latest pilot app have done I am you calibration and multiple compass calibrations

The usual thing is steel in the launch location - like a manhole cover or concrete with reinforcing.
You haven't said where you are launching from or if this happens in a variety of steel-free locations.

The usual thing is steel in the launch location - like a manhole cover or concrete with reinforcing.
You haven't said where you are launching from or if this happens in a variety of steel-free locations.
No I have tried in open grass area , off the boat ,beach and in back of hotel away from building been flying phantoms for a few years now never encountered this if I just ignore it take off it flies OK but it's an Atti mode after about a minute of flight it seems to come out of it and then it's fine the GPS situation is fine I have between 12 and 18 satellites locked just have constant compass air at the beginning

The other possibility is a big ring on your finger when you do the dance, cell phone, huge Mr 'T' chain on your neck, surgical titanium implant, you get the picture. I am left handed and my dive watch caused a compass error, had to remove it. The fact that it goes away after you take off indicates it is a local interference.

Just had a hip replaced to go along with knee replacement. No wonder having compass calibration issues.

Here is how I calibrate both P3 and P2, best because you can watch the lights change easily

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is that a metal fence right behind you in that video lol.I cal my p3p anywhere and it just works
My experience anyway

I do it that way also but I don't wear a giant watch on my right wrist and grab the compass leg. It's a good idea to do at arms length to keep it away from body that may have metals. I once changed the way I did the dance and kept the Phantom close to my body. Calibration failed. I had a magnetic chuck in my pocket. I redid calibration at arms length and all was ok. Magnetic chuck still in pocket. I only need to flip my S1 switch 5 times to enter calibration mode. I also don't abuse the switch like I'm speed shifting. Gps to atti is all you need when flipping S1. I also don't push the rear of the quad up while it's facing me so it will try to
fly into my face or my camera.

I do it that way also but I don't wear a giant watch on my right wrist and grab the compass leg. It's a good idea to do at arms length to keep it away from body that may have metals. I once changed the way I did the dance and kept the Phantom close to my body. Calibration failed. I had a magnetic chuck in my pocket. I redid calibration at arms length and all was ok. Magnetic chuck still in pocket. I only need to flip my S1 switch 5 times to enter calibration mode. I also don't abuse the switch like I'm speed shifting. Gps to atti is all you need when flipping S1. I also don't push the rear of the quad up while it's facing me so it will try to
fly into my face or my camera.
But that is on a P2, the compass on the P3 is MUCH more sensitive than the P2's compass.

I take off from a cardboard box elevated about a foot and half above the concrete. Took care of my problem.

The other possibility is a big ring on your finger when you do the dance, cell phone, huge Mr 'T' chain on your neck, surgical titanium implant, you get the picture. I am left handed and my dive watch caused a compass error, had to remove it. The fact that it goes away after you take off indicates it is a local interference.
Titanium is non-magnetic. How would it affect a magnetic compass?

I carry 2 shoelaces with me in my bag, before i turn my quad on i put the laces on each side and give it a few turns then let go when ive set the compass menu to start. Set it on its side and do it sideways only i tie it to the legs that way. Takes a second and im not making a giant circle rotating my entire body vs a tiny one.

I carry 2 shoelaces with me in my bag, before i turn my quad on i put the laces on each side and give it a few turns then let go when ive set the compass menu to start. Set it on its side and do it sideways only i tie it to the legs that way. Takes a second and im not making a giant circle rotating my entire body vs a tiny one.
Have no idea what you are talking about. If this thread just turns stupid,,,,, Im outta here

Is that a metal fence right behind you in that video lol.I cal my p3p anywhere and it just works
My experience anyway
A compass error headed in your direction, because anywhere will eventually lead to nowhere.o_O

The point being that things that will not throw a compass affect a P2 will a P3
Ok, I get that part but why did you say it based on the posts made? I would think one should be even more careful on calibrating the P3. Not trying to be a smart *** here....just trying to understand what you meant. Unfortunately after your post it seems some just want to annoy people.

Very sensitive the P3 compass, Something i suspect and hope that will be calmed down a bit with the next version of the craft. While it shares the same compass feature as the inspire and for good reason, i am curious to see if its big brothers compass is as highly strung.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.