Compass Calibration - When & Why To Do It

Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or the status indicator prompt you to do so.
About 99% of the time when the app advises of a compass error, recalibrating would not be a good thing to do.
Most of the time the compass error is not because of any fault in the compass but the Phantom has been placed on or close to steel - usually reinforced concrete and simply moving to a location away from the steel is all that is required.

About 99% of the time when the app advises of a compass error, recalibrating would not be a good thing to do.
Most of the time the compass error is not because of any fault in the compass but the Phantom has been placed on or close to steel - usually reinforced concrete and simply moving to a location away from the steel is all that is required.
Agreed! If the stored compass numbers worked last time you flew, and you turn it on and get a compass error, then the next thing to do is move to a new location and try it again. The only way the stored compass calibration numbers can be changed is by doing a compass calibration.
There is far too much guessing going on, as to what to do and when to do it. A little common sense and logic can go a long ways, when in that situation.

That was from the manual, and I only calibrate on drift, and when more than 100 miles from last calibration. The manual is broken imo.
Page 51.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/en/Phantom_4_User_Manual_en_v1.2_160328.pdf
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 9.45.30 PM.png

The manual really falls short in a lot of areas, compass being one of them.

Using the map above, I have calibrated my compass once, in January 2016, in zone 11. I've never had to recalibrate as it flies perfect. Recently I went to zone 13 on the map. Didn't calibrate and the drone still flew perfectly straight.

All of the above to say. Only calibrate if you believe it needs it.
Yes, I inly re-calibrate when the app says that I need to. I live in Ca, USA and went to Utah, 700 miles away and did not calibrate and everything was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20