Compass Calibration Issues

Reaction score
Hi Guys - came across an issue with calibration today, which some of you may have already experienced. I followed all the usual procedures for calibration, left the PH2+ blinking green for about two minutes on the ground and then accidently knocked the PH2+ on its side. That's when I got the dreaded red /green blink. Didn't dare fly today. Any clues on the reason?

Reaction score
Green/red could just mean not enough sats. If knock on its, side it will lose heaps of sats. What did your smartphone/device say? Any warnings pop up?

To play it safe, plug into PC and check for errors popping up.
If you have a bump, you will have to redo an adv calibration. Do it when phantom is cold and on levelled surface.

Reaction score
Green/red could just mean not enough sats. If knock on its, side it will lose heaps of sats. What did your smartphone/device say? Any warnings pop up?

To play it safe, plug into PC and check for errors popping up.
If you have a bump, you will have to redo an adv calibration. Do it when phantom is cold and on levelled surface.
Thanks Mako. I had 9 sats, but you're right; tip it on it's side and maybe lose a few. But surely the PH2+ is not that sensitive. I've used "Navionics" app as the main GPS chartplotter on my launch for about 3 years now, on occassions hand held so it moves around a lot, never had a problem as experienced today. However I will take your advice and plug into the PC to check for errors.

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Tilting on it's side will definitely cause loss of Sats.
Did you return it to the upright position and wait for re-acquisition?

Initially it sounds you were a bit too impatient here.

Also, this is not a compass calibration issue.

Reaction score
Tilting on it's side will definitely cause loss of Sats.
Did you return it to the upright position and wait for re-acquisition?

Initially it sounds you were a bit too impatient here.

Also, this is not a compass calibration issue.
Comforting to know that it's not that serious issue - I think? I did let the PH2+ settle for a while after righting but it's interesting to realise how quickly the the PH2+ lost its GPS signal. Maybe that explains why there's a sudden loss of control in unexpected blustery conditions; i.e. pitch and roll?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwmulcahey