Commercial use of a Phantom in UK

Reaction score
Has anybody ever been given permission by CAA to fly a Phantom commercially?

If so, tell us more!

Thanks

I think list is standing at several hundred. It is expensive and a failrly lengthy process when you add up all the bits. I would post more but I am rushing out. I am sure others will chip in.

Reactions: ShawUK
I think list is standing at several hundred. It is expensive and a failrly lengthy process when you add up all the bits. I would post more but I am rushing out. I am sure others will chip in.
More than I imagined then.

I wonder if many have made even using just a phantom alone

http://www.eurousc.com/services/pilot-qualifications/

I think the total cost for the basic qualification that allows you to legally operate commercially is approx. 1500 quid. Once qualified, there is also a requirement for annual renewal (the same as a PPL).

http://www.eurousc.com/media/1059/ftc-int-issue-32-web1.pdf
+ PL insurance, backup aircraft, all the safety equipment and more. If you want a 2nd aircraft certified (BNUC-S) then that's more money although purely for the CAA it's done by weight class.

My recent quotes are £700-£800

That's rediculous. It must be the must be one of the most highly 'taxed' profession

That's rediculous. It must be the must be one of the most highly 'taxed' profession

The insurance is on the high side, but it does kind of reflect the risks involved.

With a fixed wing UAV you at least have the ability to glide away from people or property in the event of a motor failure - unless you're unlucky enough to suffer a mid air breakup.

With a hex / octo / decacopter, you're probably going to go down hard - in the case of a quad, it's a certainty. And anyone underneath you will end up suing if they're injured.

I mean the costs of being able to fly a phantom and take a photo is free.
If you want to sell that photo, you're in the 1000s. You don't need additional training if you are already flying to all the current regs.
I can understand if you are flying a massive UAV but a little consumer friendly phantom? Really? It's a tax, that's all it is.
What is so important that they need to teach you that costs £1500 of their time Opposed to doing the exact same flight(s) and not selling the photo?

Reactions: Trumple
I've done the BNUC-S and they have little interest at how well you can fly or if you've been flying heli's for 28 years! Its all about teaching you how to share the airspace with manned aircraft and they apply many manned aircraft rules to uav aircraft. everyone on the course had not flown RC aircraft before! If in your operations manual you say you fly in gps mode you do not need to be able to fly in any other mode which I don't agree with.

Has anybody ever been given permission by CAA to fly a Phantom commercially?

If so, tell us more!

Thanks

Yes you will need to take a course. The CAA have more approved training centres other than EuroUSC, and the BNUC qualification is just a trade mark name to EUROUSC so do not think that is what you need, the end certification is the RPC (Remote Pilot Certification) I done my course through RUSTA they are good and cheaper, and think more of the student than getting bums on seats plus I found them more helpful. You will need commercial insurance, I would recommend Coverdrone I found that they were the cheapest it will cost you about £500 per year for £2 mill cover and you need this in place before you do your practical flight test. When you have passed your flight test you will have to pay another £112 to the CAA for you PFAW (Permission For Aerial Work) which is what its all about

Reactions: ShawUK
I now have my Permission For Aerial Work PFAW from the CAA which you have to get to be able to fly commercially the Permissions will cost you £112 but first you have to do your theory, ops manual and Practical test from an approved training Center which is about £1500 and I would suggest going through RUSTA very good do not go through Euro USC, you will also need commercial insurance which will cost another £500 plus. So it all adds up, if you do any commercial work without any of the above you can get done badly from the CAA it's not worth it

I now have my Permission For Aerial Work PFAW from the CAA which you have to get to be able to fly commercially the Permissions will cost you £112 but first you have to do your theory, ops manual and Practical test from an approved training Center which is about £1500 and I would suggest going through RUSTA very good do not go through Euro USC, you will also need commercial insurance which will cost another £500 plus. So it all adds up, if you do any commercial work without any of the above you can get done badly from the CAA it's not worth it

Why Shouldn't I use EuroUSC ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31