Commercial flying & Part 107, etc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and had some specific questions regarding commercial uas flight. I have seen several other posts on this and have read through them, but I am still confused.

I just bought a phantom 3 pro, with intentions of starting a small business doing real estate, roof inspection, etc. As I understand it, I need to register my drone (done); take the general test at a testing center, and apply for my uas license. Is this correct? How many actual tests are required?

What are the best free resources for learning what's on the tests and not a bunch of extraneous information?

Thanks!

You have two tracks of possible 107 license options - one option for people that are already licensed pilots, and one track for those that are not.

An Appeals Court upheld a plaintiff who said the government cannot compel him to register his "hobby RC models", however that appeal does not appear to cover commercial drone ops like you will be doing with your equipment.

It's only 5 bucks, you turn in your drone serial number, they issue you a "drone N-number" so to speak. Apply that number to the drone. Carry your drone registration and drone pilot license with you when you work. In case law enforcement decides to harass you for any reason, they back way off when you produce your license, and show your "N-number" on the bottom of the drone.

Also more unsolicited advice...if at all possible, insure that the surrounding neighbors know that "a licensed" drone operator will be "inspecting the roof next door", at a certain date / time.

Saves a lot of paranoid people from running out of their house and chasing you down.

Have Fun !

p.s Do not spend ANY MONEY for third party 107 educational systems or classes. There are some out there charging you $25 bucks to register your drone, and a $25 yearly fee !

The test is very easy, and you don't need someone else teaching you anything regarding FAA 107 regs. They are all in plain english, easy to understand, and you can take as many practice tests you need to prior to taking the "real" test.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Becoming a Pilot

Fly for Work/Business

Reactions: Nickster
The test isn't just about the regs. About a third of it is regarding sectional charts and having to use several that are presented, atmospheric conditions, flight characteristics, safety procedures, airport traffic patterns, etc. -- which has nothing to do with the regs. You are guaranteed NOT to pass if you don't know these other items. Don't be lulled into thinking it is easy. Even "common sense" questions are sometimes worded in a way that are designed to trip you up and start you second guessing. I think many who have taken the test will agree.

Thanks everyone. I have already gotten my number and marked my drone with it. I've done a little studying the material, and the air traffic patterns, flight maps, etc stuff did seem a bit difficult and if I may say - silly for a small drone operator to learn. But it is what it is.

I just passed my test... studied for a solid 3 weeks...the administrator said I was taking the most updated version...I only recognized about 20% of the test...it was not easy...and they try very hard to make it confusing. Make sure you know how to read METAR's and be sure you know the difference from each class of air space...and how to read maps. I even got some refreshing from a pilot the day before....only to pass with an 85%

Good luck....get it soon...it will only get harder

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Make sure your registration is indeed for Commercial/Business and not just for hobby.

I can almost guarantee if you have no familiarity with Aviation and such you'll fail the test. It's very much not common sense and will trip you up.

Also I want to stress... Aviation isn't about just "passing a test" but rather learning how and why things work and how to do so safely.

Thanks everyone. I have already gotten my number and marked my drone with it. I've done a little studying the material, and the air traffic patterns, flight maps, etc stuff did seem a bit difficult and if I may say - silly for a small drone operator to learn. But it is what it is.
Remember, the test is for any/all UAS pilots, not just small drone operators. The FAA doesn't make (nor do we want them to IMO) any distinction between a small quadcopter and a large fixed wing unmanned aircraft up to 55 lbs. we all fly under the Sam Part 107 rules.

Reactions: BigAl07
I just passed my test... studied for a solid 3 weeks...the administrator said I was taking the most updated version...I only recognized about 20% of the test...it was not easy...and they try very hard to make it confusing. Make sure you know how to read METAR's and be sure you know the difference from each class of air space...and how to read maps. I even got some refreshing from a pilot the day before....only to pass with an 85%

Good luck....get it soon...it will only get harder

Where is the best free place to study the maps, METARS, and airspace stuff?

Google is your friend...search "explain TAF and METAR" it will break down each segment and explain how to read it. A good practice test and source of SOME good info for free is with....3DR.com...but that will only scratch the surface

Google is your friend...search "explain TAF and METAR" it will break down each segment and explain how to read it. A good practice test and source of SOME good info for free is with....3DR.com...but that will only scratch the surface
You're absolutely right. Google has no shortage of available information. The problem is, there's simply so much of it, it's a bit overwhelming. I'd love to find a somewhat concise resource of exactly what I need to know, if such a thing exists. I did find a good study guide from the FAA site, which is probably really all I need. These acronyms are killing me lol!

try this How to Read an Aviation Routine Weather Report (METAR)
You need ...dates...times...from and till when....abbreviations of weather....knots...type of clouds....pretty much everything. When you keep seeing them, they will get more familiar. At first it looks like the DOS window on your old PC!! Youll get it. The hard part is with the maps and the curve balls they throw at you

Reactions: SkyFrog
First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Make sure your registration is indeed for Commercial/Business and not just for hobby.

I can almost guarantee if you have no familiarity with Aviation and such you'll fail the test. It's very much not common sense and will trip you up.

Also I want to stress... Aviation isn't about just "passing a test" but rather learning how and why things work and how to do so safely.

Welcome to the forum. Totally agree with Al and @Erebus for what to do. I studied free online courses, chatted with Al and a bunch of others who currently had pilot licenses, and did plenty of practice tests to learn what all that material, especially sectionals, performance, weather, and briefing abbreviations, meant. I use all of these before every flight now. I am constantly checking TFRs and NOTAMs and filing them as necessary. I got mine more because I wanted to make sure I operated safely and knew what was needed to operate safely.

Reactions: SkyFrog and BigAl07
I passed my 107 on Jun 24 , still haven't received my license just a temp with no license number. Called them today they said I'm still about 1-2 months out till I receive it. They state severely back logged . When I expressed I need it to get my business up and going they pretty said " yea and " they need a much more efficient system for licenses and waivers.

I passed my 107 on Jun 24 , still haven't received my license just a temp with no license number. Called them today they said I'm still about 1-2 months out till I receive it. They state severely back logged . When I expressed I need it to get my business up and going they pretty said " yea and " they need a much more efficient system for licenses and waivers.

You are allowed to exercise all rights and privileges of a 107 pilot license if you have the temporary card in your
pocket. All they are going to do is stamp out a piece of plastic the size of a credit card and add a certificate number.

Once you have the temp license, you are good to go.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic