coming home-works well

Reaction score
So I am trying out my new TX with its gimbal wheel finally working properly, having a great time. Towards the end of the pack I decided to go visit the guineas and chickens near their pens. I live in a small farm if anyone is wondering. Thinking I had 2-3 minutes left, I am having a blast filming and pissing them off more than likely. Next thing I look at the vision app and it says I need to come home right now!! As I am deciding how to come home, it says too late, coming home, and straight up it goes to 50 meters. I still flipped the S1 switch to fail safe but it was already on its way. It came down and landed within 5-6 feet from home point. A pretty thing to behold even though I was very anxious since it was doing its own thing and with only 16% of the battery juice left. Technology is a great thing, specially when it works as advertised, lol. :mrgreen:

Lol yes but I was already shook up, figured it was better to let it do its thing. It is a beautiful morning here, no wind, so if it was going to work, today was the day. I have tried this before in an open field and done it on purpose with lots of juice left, and it has always worked fine. The difference today was that the low battery triggered it, totally surprised me. Also it is the new TX as well, and although it should work as advertised, well you know how that can go. :)

Great! did you have to do all the SW and FW upgrading or did have the updates already installed?

The TX already had the latest firmware. I updated the assistant and IMU and firmware to the phantom. Everything worked very well, except for the gimbal, which was very jerky to begin with. Finally a couple of very astute gents here discovered we had all been calibrating incorrectly on the RC assistant. Once that was done the Gimbal performs better than I ever expected to. You can now move it slowly, or as fast as you wish with the wheel. It is worth every bit the $100.00 I paid for it.

I try the rth during most of my flights, leaving the battery go down to the limit. Must admit I haven't flown since the latest update which I've set the rth height to 35metres

promocop said:
Do tell Mine is here Monday What IS the proper method?
Lol, loaded question. here is what I did, some of this came from this thread right here on the p2v+ forum "http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29063" . I bound the new TX and receiver, and then calibrated the sticks using the phantom assistant software. I had already upgraded the firmware, the new assistant software as well as the IMU update. It is recommended NOT to initially use the RC assistant, which by the way, you should delete and download a new version from DJI. It appears to be the very same version, but that what the guys are doing. Some were trying to update the new TX from the rc assistance, and in actuality were rendering it useless by downgrading the firmware on it. The new TX comes with the latest firmware, so all you have to do is go ahead and calibrate the sticks, and what DJI doesn't tell you and actually warns on the RC Assistant software not to do, which is to calibrate the wheel on the same page. My entire update was easy, no issues except for the Gimbal being jerky due to lack of calibration. Go to the link I gave you and go the the last two pages to learn all you need

OK,read that, but what does..."...which is to calibrate the wheel on the same page..." mean? What page? Confusing... do you mean NOT to calibrate the wheel on the RC SW but to calibrate the thumb wheel when on the PT2 SW? Thanks

promocop said:
OK,read that, but what does..."...which is to calibrate the wheel on the same page..." mean? What page? Confusing... do you mean NOT to calibrate the wheel on the RC SW but to calibrate the thumb wheel when on the PT2 SW? Thanks
Sorry for the confusion. By page I mean on the same screen on the RC assistant, and yes you must calibrate the X1 as well. I will explain hopefully better. DJI tells you as well at the bottom of the same screen on the RC assistant that the U1 and X2 need not be calibrated, and that the X1 channel,"gimbal", should be calibrated on Phantom assistant. That is what I had been doing multiple times, and every time I calibrated X1 on the P2 assistant, it was a jerky proposition with the needle bouncing every which way with the resulting jerky gimbal in flight. Another member on the link I posted earlier finally came up with the solution which was to calibrate X1 on the RC assistant, and then do so again on P2 assistant. After calibrating the sticks on RC assistant, do dot hit finish, but run the wheel to its stops in both directions. Watch the needle on X1 move to the stops, then hit finish. once I did that, the X1 calibration on P2 assistant went very smooth. I knew right then the gimbal was going to be ok, and it was.

This is from Mopar Bob, so you may thank him. This clarified it nicely, and got me going

Re: I can't get my gimbal wheel on my new controller to work

Postby Mopar Bob » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:03 am
Problem Solved: Let me Explain. I received my new RC yesterday and proceeded to follow the instructions on setting it up that are in this forum in many places. I ended up with a totally screwed up tilt mechanism just like it has been described in this post. I then proceeded to pull the pieces together that others say they had success with. This is what I did and now everything works perfectly. Even the gimbal tilt speed works as hoped. That is, the more you rotate it the faster the tilt happens. So you can now not only control the tilt from the RC but you can control the speed at which it tilts. This is great **** and worth the $100 for the new RC. Anyway, here is a recap:

1. Un-install the current version of the RC Assistant and then re-install it from the DJI website. I don't know why, but this is key to getting it to work. My guess is that DJI made some additional changes to the 1.1 version with out telling anyone. That said, it seems like a critical step.

2. Bind the new RC to the Phantom. Follow the steps in the Phantom Manual version 1.6. Its simple and I think different from what others have displayed on YouTube.

3. Turn on the RC and plug it into the PC. Open up the recently installed RC Assistant and do the calibration on the sticks as noted in the Assistant but DO NOT press FINISH yet. Now the next step is critical. Even though the RC Assistant says not to do the calibration on the X1 (the Tilt Control Wheel), you have to do it. Select the X1 wheel and rotate it several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Now press Finish.

4. Disconnect the RC from the PC and turn off the RC Assistant.

5. Turn on the Phantom, and then connect to PC. Start up the Phantom Assistant. It should be the latest version 3.6.

6. Make sure you select the correct RC option. In our case it should be the "Upgrade" version.

7. Repeat the calibration process for the left/right sticks and press Finish.

8.Then select the Calibration START button under the X1 control, rotate the tilt wheel several times in both directions then let it come to rest in the neutral position. Then press Finish.

9. Power down the Phantom, shutdown the Assistant. disconnect the PC from the Phantom.

10, Restart the Phantom and it should be golden.

I hope I didn't leave anything out, but these are the steps that worked for me. On another note (bitching time). I have developed computer software for over 35 years. One thing you never ever do, is release any changes to the software without identifying it as a new release number. Even when the software is in the various stages of testing. Yet, it appears DJI has done this in the past and continues to do so now. They ought to fire the stupid *** that is managing their software program......end of rant.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl