Colorado Springs

I recently moved just South of Denver from FL, been here about a month and haven't had a chance to take my P3S out anywhere. Signs are posted at Garden of the Gods, no remote controlled aircraft allowed. Hoping to find a good spot to fly soon.

Bill
Hello Bill, I have flown in the off-leash area of The Red Rock Canyon open space. It has been a while since I've flown there. I would confirm if it is still legal before attempting to do so.
Cheers,
Shawn

Hello Bill, I have flown in the off-leash area of The Red Rock Canyon open space. It has been a while since I've flown there. I would confirm if it is still legal before attempting to do so.
Cheers,
Shawn

More info? I am heading up to that area later this month and like to possibly fly some for good footage. Also what about Mt. Evans can you fly when up top? Is it worth it?

Brian

Fourman,

There are "no drone" signs at Red Rock Canyon Open Space, though I haven't been to the off-leash area to know if there are signs there too, or in other areas since it extends so far back toward the foothills.

Looking at maps I was thinking of going to the parking area for the Section 16 trailhead to see if it's possible to fly along the border of the park without bothering anyone. It might afford some good views of the park and rock formations, though more distant.

If you can fly within the park, please let us know.

DK
Rocky Mountain Phantom

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fourman,

There are "no drone" signs at Red Rock Canyon Open Space, though I haven't been to the off-leash area to know if there are signs there too, or in other areas since it extends so far back toward the foothills.

Looking at maps I was thinking of going to the parking area for the Section 16 trailhead to see if it's possible to fly along the border of the park without bothering anyone. It might afford some good views of the park and rock formations, though more distant.

DK
Rocky Mountain Phantom

ah okay. I head up later this week. I do plan to drive up Mt. Evans and do a flight around there at 14k feet....we will see how that goes...I just hope the wind is not too strong.

4Man

4Man,

I'm not sure about Mt. Evans, but if you plan on going anywhere past the entrance to the toll road going to the top of Pikes Peak, the whole area is a "no drone" zone (signs are posted). That includes the summit of Pikes Peak.

I'm curious to learn if it's the same for Mt. Evans and the area around it. Enjoy your trip.

DK

Sent from my LG V10 using TapaTalk for Android.

4Man,

I'm not sure about Mt. Evans, but if you plan on going anywhere past the entrance to the toll road going to the top of Pikes Peak, the whole area is a "no drone" zone (signs are posted). That includes the summit of Pikes Peak.

I'm curious to learn if it's the same for Mt. Evans and the area around it. Enjoy your trip.

DK

It is a National Forest so from what I have seen on-line should be okay if I launch from a safe area.....I think the real issue will be wind.

Yeah, no doubt, even if I could fly at the summit of Pikes Peak I think the wind would be a constant threat.

Definitely would like to hear how it goes at Mt. Evans. Pikes Peak and a lot of the area around it is also National Forest land, but just like the National Park Service they can and do ban drones in some areas. For what it's worth I've flown west of Rampart Reservoir on NFS land (Rampart Range Rd) and have great shots of Pikes Peak and Rampart Reservoir without any hassles (or crowds).

Good luck!

Hello,
Colorado Springs Flyer here... Ive taken a couple of trips to Divide and I've flown Pulpit Rock. I´ve been having a harder time finding places to fly around town. At the moment, I only have 2 batteries, so I don´t want to drive too far. Any suggestions?
Also, if anyone is down to meet up to fly, let me know.
I have a P3A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fourman,

DK
Rocky Mountain Phantom

Did you ever give this a shot?

Hello,
I live in Colorado Springs, any luck finding cool places to fly?

I found this spot using the "No Fly" maps from the FAA and third parties.

38.795898,-104.876644

It a great spot on a graded dirt road (Gold Camp Rd) above the mouth of North Cheyenne Canyon with awesome line of sight south, east and west up the canyon. There are other spots along that road too, including right after the first tunnel farther up the canyon.

At that spot is a pull-off for parking and several spots with good line of sight. You could conceivably fly over a hillside saddle to get shots of Seven Falls without breaking 400 ft vertical height above launch.

I found it by looking at roads in the area in Google Earth at different angles to see the topography more clearly.

Sent from my LG V-10 using the PhantomPilots app for Android.

Did you ever give this a shot?

Not yet, it would require some hiking to get good line of sight (which is important to me, personally).

There is a good spot in Pike National Forest east of Woodland Park on a hilltop with open meadows where you can get great aerial views of Pikes Peak, Rampart Reservoir and the surrounding forest. It's on Loy Creek/Schubarth Rd (also graded dirt) just south of "Yurts ville Colorado" (as it appears on Google Maps).

I've also flown at Ute Valley Park and want to fly at Spruce Mountain Open Space.

It might be possible to fly north from the road near the Will Roger's Shrine of the Sun as well, but I haven't been up there yet.

Good luck!

Not yet, it would require some hiking to get good line of sight (which is important to me, personally).

There is a good spot in Pike National Forest east of Woodland Park on a hilltop with open meadows where you can get great aerial views of Pikes Peak, Rampart Reservoir and the surrounding forest. It's on Loy Creek/Schubarth Rd (also graded dirt) just south of "Yurts ville Colorado" (as it appears on Google Maps).

I've also flown at Ute Valley Park and want to fly at Spruce Mountain Open Space.

It might be possible to fly north from the road near the Will Roger's Shrine of the Sun as well, but I haven't been up there yet.

Good luck!

Thanks! I can't wait to check this out!! I may have to dedicate a day to this..

Here's one reason why I recommend this spot... Sorry for the length, I haven't taken time to edit the better parts. From 2:00 mins to about 5:30 mins is the best part, IMHO.

I found this spot using the "No Fly" maps from the FAA and third parties.

38.795898,-104.876644

It a great spot on a graded dirt road (Gold Camp Rd) above the mouth of North Cheyenne Canyon with awesome line of sight south, east and west up the canyon. There are other spots along that road too, including right after the first tunnel farther up the canyon.

At that spot is a pull-off for parking and several spots with good line of sight. You could conceivably fly over a hillside saddle to get shots of Seven Falls without breaking 400 ft vertical height above launch.

I found it by looking at roads in the area in Google Earth at different angles to see the topography more clearly.

And here's why I recommend the spot mentioned above for great shots of North Cheyenne Canyon and vicinity...

Here's one reason why I recommend this spot... Sorry for the length, I haven't taken time to edit the better parts. From 2:00 mins to about 5:30 mins is the best part, IMHO.

So this is pike national forest? Legal to fly? Is that spot you are at easy to find?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw nothing to suggest it was not legal. You'll fly over a patchwork of National Forest, Academy and private land heading toward Rampart Reservoir.

If you're not comfortable there, this spot I believe is on National Forest land and closer to Rampart.

38.973975,-104.990199

It also has great views of Pikes Peak, but there are large areas from a previous fire that make it harder to get healthy forest in your shots. The line of sight south toward Pikes Peak is good, but not so much in other directions.

I saw nothing to suggest it was not legal. You'll fly over a patchwork of National Forest, Academy and private land heading toward Rampart Reservoir.

If you're not comfortable there, this spot I believe is on National Forest land and closer to Rampart.

38.973975,-104.990199

It also has great views of Pikes Peak, but there are large areas from a previous fire that make it harder to get healthy forest in your shots. The line of sight south toward Pikes Peak is good, but not so much in other directions.

Dropped a pin on it, thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20