Cold Weather Flying and Condensation

Reaction score
Re CONDENSATION - my DSLR training was to always bring a plastic bag outside in the cold when shooting and then before heading inside, place the camera and lens in the bag and tie it off, then bring that inside to warm up. The theory being, like eyeglasses, the camera and electronics will hit the warm and more humid air and fog (condense) up. However, if in a bag, the condensation will collect on the bag and not on the camera. Once at room temperature, then it’s safe to get it out of the bag. I “try” to do this with my drone or at least put it back in the cold travel box before coming inside. Has anyone else done this?

Re CONDENSATION - my DSLR training was to always bring a plastic bag outside in the cold when shooting and then before heading inside, place the camera and lens in the bag and tie it off, then bring that inside to warm up. The theory being, like eyeglasses, the camera and electronics will hit the warm and more humid air and fog (condense) up. However, if in a bag, the condensation will collect on the bag and not on the camera. Once at room temperature, then it’s safe to get it out of the bag. I “try” to do this with my drone or at least put it back in the cold travel box before coming inside. Has anyone else done this?
I put the drone in the bag and the batteries in my pockets trying to keep them above 15 centigrade. Once in the field I plug in first battery and go. In conditions 0 - minus 15 centigrade this has worked well with no problems to speak of, but the colder it is the higher the probability of issues so below 5 below, I never go under 40 percent battery and always start at 100 percent. Start slow, low and close to ensure everything is in good condition.

No specific acclimatization has been necessary, but you might get some condensation on the lens when going directly from warm to cold climate.

I am not sure it matters but I do leave everything in the bag when going inside, save for removal of memorycard. I have however recharged batteries directly from cold with no issues so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20