cold temps

As long as the batteries are started above 55F and due to plastic becoming more brittle at those temps use caution and don't cause high G-forces on the props and arms, wear gloves...... It should be ok. I've flown in 21F and other than not being able to feel my fingers I still have a functioning Phantom.

Reactions: mrvnvrgs
I have flown extensively in cold weather (between 0 and 32 F) and had no real problems. Though a year ago, when I was a newbie, I flew in very cold fog and ended up with iced props. I think I’m lucky it didn’t fall out of the sky.

Just now I flew a very short flight from my back porch in -20 F weather. I had video feed problems from the beginning but I can’t be sure if that was from the extreme cold or from WiFi interference. I doubt that I will fly in this kind of cold again but I wanted to be able to say that I did. [emoji846]
48876a02979a1e9519e56328854316e7.jpg

I’m still a newbie and afraid to lose my drone it’s -20^f here now

Only had mine a week, but it hasn’t been above freezing here since then. Coldest I flew in was about 10 F. Only issue I noticed was a fair amount of altitude drift. Most of that was in the 1st minute, but still some afterwards.

I’ve been flying in 0 F to +8 F this week. Start with full warm battery and have it parked by the time it gets near 50%. Battery drops off really fast after 50% and is not linear. This will give you 10-15 minutes which is the limit of my fingers and IPad before things seem to slow down. Get out and enjoy. No Fear No Gain.

I couldn’t take it any longer and had to try it.

I have Polaris ranger with a cab and heat I set inside with heat on and roll down window and it flies fine,hands stay warm and I can fly out 1.5 miles and back with 55% batteries left at 0 to 20’f. It’s a lot of fun

To sshepard, Just took out my P4PR after putting in upgrade and I'm having issues with my video. Start taking videos and after less than a minute or so the video stops. Is this possibly due to the cold. Its in the teens here in New York.

Just got back from running through 2 batteries in 24 degrees F. Never buy a new P4P on New Years day. The temp is going up to 30 today and I am stuck recharging. Too funny.

I put the drone in the truck and took a warm up between batteries. I bumped my critical battery and low battery up to 40 percent and 25 percent respectively. Had a solid 1.5 (flashing number 2 light) on both when I finished. They seem to be recharging fine.

As an old guy with some history of working in the cold, I know to watch for condensation while rewarming my equipment. Anybody got any special tricks for bringing them in from the cold?

v/r rch

Last edited:
Flew my P4 after the horrible performance of the videos from my P4P. After flying the P4 didn't encounter any video problems with the p4. So I'm starting to think its the latest firmware update that's causing the problem.

Flew the P4 with no video problems.I pointing more and more to the firm ware upgrade.

Flew P4 with no video or distance problems. I think it's pointing more and more to the firmware upgrade on my P4P.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl