Clip-on landing gear for P2V?

Reaction score
I'm planning to take my Phantom backpacking, and cannot carry an extra bag/case. I'd like to pack it in my 80L backpack, with the rest of my stuff. I'm thinking about removing the camera (takes 30 seconds to attach), but the landing gear is tricky to remove and attach. I've seen a bunch of retractable landing gears, but none of them would survive inside a backpack without additional casing.

Are there any clip-on or easily removable landing gears? I'm sure I'm not the first with doesn't want to carry a 20 cm thick case around all the time.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Great question, I have no idea what the answer is. BUT I do want to know what you come up with and I have a question.
Do you have a solar, or some other "off the grid", charger?

Thanks

Might wanna give this some extra thought ... you said the camera and gimbal are easily removable (takes 30 seconds to attach) .

Those wires and connectors on top of the gimbal housing aren't made for repetitive function.

They we're designed with the idea that they would stay in place and maybe be removed a small number of times for repair or service.

Not saying "don't do this" ... but if you start fumbling around with those connections thinking they are made for this type of purpose... it ain't gonna last very long.

As far as I e seen your the first for clip on landing gear.
Never saw it. i also agree you keep messing with those connectors and your asking for trouble.

Actually, I have a P2V, not Plus, so the connectors might be different. (Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, apparently).
The connectors for the P2V are actually fairly simple, just a plain 3 pin connector and something that looks like a 3.5mm audio jack. Attaching the rubber balls can be frustrating, but it probably gets better with practice.
I'm pretty shy about messing with wires (I was really nervous about opening up the RC to get to the USB), but after crashing the thing twice, and having to look for the pieces in a rice field, put it all back together, attaching the wires is not a huge thing anymore.

Regarding an off the grid charger, I've had a power inverter like this http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK®-Outle..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1427624433&sr=1-1 for the long drives in Africa, but didn't really use it, coz I was never without electricity for more than 2 days. I had 2 spare batteries (both of which have swollen like hell because of the heat, so they're gone) so that wasn't much of an issue. There's a used P2V+ on my local auction site, for around 800$ with 5 bats, I might put a bid in just for those. So overall, not too worried about power at this point; sorry IflyinWY, can't help much.

Reactions: IflyinWY
I'm planning to take my Phantom backpacking, and cannot carry an extra bag/case. I'd like to pack it in my 80L backpack, with the rest of my stuff. I'm thinking about removing the camera (takes 30 seconds to attach), but the landing gear is tricky to remove and attach. I've seen a bunch of retractable landing gears, but none of them would survive inside a backpack without additional casing.

Are there any clip-on or easily removable landing gears? I'm sure I'm not the first with doesn't want to carry a 20 cm thick case around all the time.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I used an existing camera back pack and got the local upholster guy to stitch 4 Velcro straps in the position of the Phantom arms, that way the shell top is against my backpack, (Legs stick outwards) I set up a velcro strip to wrap around just the camera gimbal and legs to hold in place whilst walking, I sometime remove the propellors if walking a distance.
In addition he created a pocket above so that the controller could sit in,(Deep enough to under the levers) again 2 velcro straps stitched in place to hold the handles at the top of controller to stop falling out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl