Cleaning the P3 2312 motor?

Reaction score
A few grains of sand got into one of my P3P motors and it now has an audible scratching sound when I turn it. I tried taking the motor apart but it seems to be impossible with these new motors. I have tried compressed air and that really hasn't helped. I found a few threads on other forums that suggest cleaning brushless motors with water. What do you guys think?

A few grains of sand got into one of my P3P motors and it now has an audible scratching sound when I turn it. I tried taking the motor apart but it seems to be impossible with these new motors. I have tried compressed air and that really hasn't helped. I found a few threads on other forums that suggest cleaning brushless motors with water. What do you guys think?
No water please! This video shows how to clean them with putty.
It is possible to do this without removing the top, just be careful to not pull on the motor leads.

No water please! This video shows how to clean them with putty.
It is possible to do this without removing the top, just be careful to not pull on the motor leads.
That video is the reason I took the shell off of my phantom to get at the motor. The phantomhelp.com page needs to revised because that video does not help P3 users. Unfortunately, the motor in that video is not a 2312 motor. The 2312 motors do not come apart. I have searched through the forums and no one has been able to disassemble the 2312 motor.
Any reason why I shouldn't use water? It shouldn't have any negative effect.

Are these motors expensive or something? Aren't they like 30 bucks is all? I'd just get a new one and not worry about it... but if it's a hobby.. have at it!

Are these motors expensive or something? Aren't they like 30 bucks is all? I'd just get a new one and not worry about it... but if it's a hobby.. have at it!
Cheaper, I already ordered one. Nevertheless its a pita that they made it so we cant disassemble these motors. It is such a waste because the motor is perfectly good. Now I have to desolder the old motor and solder in a new one.

Cheaper, I already ordered one. Nevertheless its a pita that they made it so we cant disassemble these motors. It is such a waste because the motor is perfectly good. Now I have to desolder the old motor and solder in a new one.
You can use bullet connectors makes it nice if you ever have to pull the motor and you do not have to mess around with the esc's

3.5mm is what I used on my P1 & P2 .
Good Luck

Did you try electric motor spray and blast the crap out of it? I have managed to clean out some pretty clogged up mini quad motors that way. Most hobby stores have it for rc cars.

Did you try electric motor spray and blast the crap out of it? I have managed to clean out some pretty clogged up mini quad motors that way. Most hobby stores have it for rc cars.
I have sprayed it for about 5 minutes total with compressed air while spinning it.

I think the motor cleaner will add some advantage over the compressed air as it is a fluid that may "wash" out the sand. In the end a new motor is prob the best bet.

Quick note on the bullet connector, I would wrap them with some tape after the mate to avoid having them come loose in flight. It's more of an issue on the minis when you are constantly replacing cheap motors due to crashes. The spring force on the bullet connectors will reduce with each mate/debate cycle.

I got the sand out of mine with compressed air. If it won't come out I would recommend just getting a new motor (worth protecting your investment in the drone) and being very careful about getting sand in the motors in the future.

Dji is just banking money with all these crashes, losses and in your case motor damage.

Quick note on the bullet connector, I would wrap them with some tape after the mate to avoid having them come loose in flight. It's more of an issue on the minis when you are constantly replacing cheap motors due to crashes. The spring force on the bullet connectors will reduce with each mate/debate cycle.

Do you have to bullet connect all motors if you are only replacing one?

Heat shrink the bullet connectors. Naked bullet connectors could short something on the ESC. It'll also keep them from disconnecting.

I have figured out how to disassemble to 2312. You have to use an arbor press and press the shaft out of the motor. After removing the clip and the bushing, press out the shaft from the bottom towards the top. Look at the motor, see the screw threads, look below them and you will see a separation line between the top of the bell housing and the threads. That is where the shaft will separate from. I will shoot a video and post it on youtube soon. You will be able to replace and or clean bearings in doing this. The motor is a little difficult to come apart but it will. You do not have to remove the shaft all the way, just until you are able to pull the two pieces apart.
DJI 2312.jpg

Reactions: 750r

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl