Class E4 airspace.

Reaction score
I just noticed AirMap released an Android version of their app and downloaded and ran it. I am well out side the 5 mile NFZ of KJST, but according to AirMap I'm in Class E4 airspace. Looking at maps and sectionals it appears E4 airspace lines up with runways. I've also read that depending on the airport Class E airspace starts at either 700' or 1200' AGL. At a max altitude of 400' it doesn't appear to be a problem for UAVs. Also I live in a valley that is 1100' in altitude lower than the airport.

Before I send the bird up again I just wanted to make sure I was correct in assuming that as long as I stay below 400' AGL (well below 700 or 1200 feet) that I was in Class G airspace. UAVs Forecast and B4UFly (when it worked) never showed the E4 airspace.

You don't say whether you're flying Part 101, Part 107, or something else.

Either way, you'd be fine outside the 5-mile radius and below 400' AGL, provided you follow all the other rules as required.

Double check the airspace. Is it just Class E or is it Class E sfc? Class E off the ends of runways usually protects airspace for IFR instrument approach procedures (IAP) and often extend to the ground (hence the sfc designation). So for Part 107 flights, you have to get prior authorization to fly there. My hometown airport (KSGH) has just that type of space and I have a request for authorization in now awaiting, I hope, approval. Curiously, under Part 107, I can fly between the airport and the Class E space without any notification!

Just looked at the sectional for KJST and it is Class E sfc, so it goes to the ground. The dashed magenta lines around the Class E space means that it is sfc airspace. You'll have to check the supplement or contact the tower to find out when that airspace is active (may be 24/7)

Last edited:
Recreational to answer the first question.

Just looked at the sectional for KJST and it is Class E sfc, so it goes to the ground.

A little odd considering there is a mountain and two valleys between me in the airport and I'm at the bottom of the valley. to fly at 400 feet above me they would need to drop 700 feet, then climb 700 feet to miss the mountain on the other side.

Not even MedStar flies that low over this area. They fly up the Conemaugh Gap then right into the other valley to the hospital.

In the 25 years I've lived here only twice have I seen aircraft anywhere near 400 feet. Once was a state police helicopter who appeared to be running a search pattern and the other was a helicopter making a bunch of circles over the area likely for mapping of some sort. The only fixed wing aircraft flying over this area appear no larger than an eraser at the end of a pencil so I'd say they are well above several thousand feet AGL.

Not trying to justify it, just explain and answer your original question ;) the IAPs are set up to provide pilots instructions on how to set up their approaches when they can't see the runway (I.e. Under IFR conditions). Terrain features, etc. are all taken into consideration when they are set up and it's not likely anyone on IFR approach would be that close to the mountain tops, but the space is still controlled.

Reactions: sgeiger and BigAl07
Recreational to answer the first question.

A little odd considering there is a mountain and two valleys between me in the airport and I'm at the bottom of the valley. to fly at 400 feet above me they would need to drop 700 feet, then climb 700 feet to miss the mountain on the other side.

Not even MedStar flies that low over this area. They fly up the Conemaugh Gap then right into the other valley to the hospital.

In the 25 years I've lived here only twice have I seen aircraft anywhere near 400 feet. Once was a state police helicopter who appeared to be running a search pattern and the other was a helicopter making a bunch of circles over the area likely for mapping of some sort. The only fixed wing aircraft flying over this area appear no larger than an eraser at the end of a pencil so I'd say they are well above several thousand feet AGL.

You'll learn a lot of things may seem odd when dealing with the FAA but once you dig into it and have all the details their methods and processes usually make sense (not always but usually). There is usually a very good reason although it may not be apparent at least at first.

KUDOS to you for looking and asking questions :)

Looks like the tower is operating from 7 am to 11 pm so contact the airport manager (814-536-0002), tell them that you want to notify them of Small UAS operations within their airspace and ask for the tower. Be prepare with name, contact info, location, operation times and AGL. Tell them you are a rcreational flyer and want to give them notification.

The OP initially said: 'I am well out side the 5 mile NFZ of KJST, but according to AirMap I'm in Class E4 airspace.'

Then later said: 'Recreational to answer the first question.'

So if you are:
Flying as a hobbyist,
More than 5 miles from airport center,
(below 400' AGL at all times)...

...you need not do anything but fly safe.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I just noticed AirMap released an Android version of their app and downloaded and ran it. I am well out side the 5 mile NFZ of KJST, but according to AirMap I'm in Class E4 airspace. Looking at maps and sectionals it appears E4 airspace lines up with runways. I've also read that depending on the airport Class E airspace starts at either 700' or 1200' AGL. At a max altitude of 400' it doesn't appear to be a problem for UAVs. Also I live in a valley that is 1100' in altitude lower than the airport.

Before I send the bird up again I just wanted to make sure I was correct in assuming that as long as I stay below 400' AGL (well below 700 or 1200 feet) that I was in Class G airspace. UAVs Forecast and B4UFly (when it worked) never showed the E4 airspace.

Your good below 120m/400ft

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31