Class C Restricted. Fly With Caution

Flying in a new area today and got the msg. What do you do?
Assuming you're in USA:

If Hobby and within 5miles of airport call ATC to let them know.

If Part 107 it depends on the exact airspace (altitude of the airspace etc).

Reactions: N42742
Yep, USA and hobby. I looked at the DJI flight map and it shows me bordering on green which shows as a warning and not restricted.

Is calling the ATC as simple as looking up the number for Richmond ATC and letting them know where and when?

Yep, USA and hobby. I looked at the DJI flight map and it shows me bordering on green which shows as a warning and not restricted.

Is calling the ATC as simple as looking up the number for Richmond ATC and letting them know where and when?

We use various Aps for UAS operations but AirMap is a good one and should give you the contact information IIRC. I personally use:

Hover, UAV Forecast, and AirMap just off the top of my head.

Thanks BigAl07. I’m using UAV Forcast now and I’m out of an airport zone and across the street from US National Park which shows as a light green color.
Does anybody know if that means....”Fly With Caution” or “No Fly”? Thanks!

I needed to fly a site near the Colorado Springs airport. It was in the Green (warning) area on the DJI Map, in the Class C and about 2miles from the runway. I called the tower, (getting the number can be interesting) and talked to the ATC. I requested up to 400 feet AGL, they said fine and I let them know the start and stop times for the opp and called when finished. Went smoothly. That was my experience.

The one question I do have is that in "Restricted" and "Alert" Areas" on the FAA charts DJI wants proof that the tower has given permission to get and unlock. How are people doing this is the tower does not issue documents>

I have applied for a waiver in this location 3 months ago and have still not heard back.

I am part 107.

Thanks for any help.

The one question I do have is that in "Restricted" and "Alert" Areas" on the FAA charts DJI wants proof that the tower has given permission to get and unlock. How are people doing this is the tower does not issue documents>

Nope. Not an issue. Only red areas on the DJI maps need special documents for DJI to unlock. They are typically very small areas.

I'm looking at both a sectional chart and the DJI Geo Zone Map of COS (and other places). Nowhere on the DJI map are any FAA R-xxxx or A-xxxx areas indicated. So there is no issue nor any DJI permission needed. Of course for a R-xxxx area you'll need to find out if the area is HOT or COLD from the controlling agency. If it's COLD, then no problem flying there. See http://www.safepilots.org/documents/SAFE_Training_Aid_MOAs.pdf for some info about this.

Alert areas are just that - areas that you need to know about but are not restricted from flying in. May not be the best idea, but never the less, no authorization needed. See Everything You Need to Know About Alert Areas for a nice bit of discussion about Alert areas.

COS region has a lot of Alert areas due to military bases (I grew up there) and a couple of Restricted (Ft. Carson area) airspace's. While BUTTS-AAF (Ft. Carson airport) is shown as DJI yellow, the actual R-2601 area is not.

The COS airport does show as a DJI yellow area that is in the surface Class C area, as looks to be about a 2.5 mile radius. For that area you'll need an "Authorization Zone" unlock. You can do this yourself (any yellow zone) at DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography. I just did it myself, it took all of 2 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers