City Ordinance states no flying in city parks. So....

We agree to disagree.
We do and I appreciate your response. It's nice to have a disagreement and not an internet tough guy fight.

I found it was much easier to address this on the front side before an ordinance went into place where I live & fly. I was actually "consulted with" in this regards and they came up with a fair and not over reaching "Land Use Ordinance" in our county and the town where I work is currently trying to mimic that same ordinance..

i think compromise is a good thing. I just draw the line when they are unreasonable. Additionally, until delegated the FAA controls airspace.

One thing to understand, and let this soak in.... is that UAS operators are such a small percentage of the overall population. We can jump up and down, wave our arms in the air, scream, pout, cry, threaten all we want but at the end of the day the Media Hype has already beat us to the punch. People are so "Drone Skeered" that it's not even funny and all it takes is one person to say, "I don't feel safe with that contraption flying anywhere near our park" for them to get banned and stay banned.

I do none of those things. I fly safely. I truly do not worry about the noise of the complainers when I'm in the right. I don't think ceding in every situation is right. In my opinion, it affirms that persons belief that you are doing something wrong. I dont fly scared. I fly with confidence and when asked cite the regulations and keep on flying.

Of course it's your city and your hobby so by all means address it any way you want but remember this... in our circles we are big fish in a small pond but the moment we step out into reality we are but a small larvae in the ocean. John Q. Public will determine our fate whether we like it or not. That's a reality and one we'll have to face sooner or later.

Maybe so.. myself I am not concerned with what might be... I fly safe. I'm not packing up and running away when I'm flying within the regulations. I do have an advantage in that I am a member of the law enforcement community. I can say that I have been confronted by citizens three times this year. Most of the time to ask what the capabilities of my flying contraptions are .. I am cordial but I always start with I'm a registered UAV operator. I only operate my UAV in airspace as authorized by the FAA. Having done that I answer their questions. That usually ends the contentious questions.

My belief is that as "drones" become more common there will be less opposition not more.. I'm optimistic I guess.

I live in a very very populated area in west los angles, ca and fly my P3 pro at my local Park and between large sky scrapers in Westwood & century city. Due to the area I live if u are out after 11pm u WILL get a visit from our local PD. They asked what I was doing to which I responded that I was calibrating all the nifty functions it can perform. I have been getting more questions/comments regarding how cool of a drone it is. I was even asked if the officers could fly it too without experience...and five mins into their flight they seemed to look like a pro with hours of experience. I have yet to b run off or asked to leave the park.

I just show some respect, that I'm registered with the FAA, a responsible pilot hence the late night hours. One jokingly ask if I'm a peeping tom & if I saw anything good? Like I said...I live in the w. Los Angeles area....the city is full of freaks doing their stuff in the living room with the curtains open!!!

I live in the w. Los Angeles area...
Just curious, what are the current L.A. drone regulations? From what I understand, launching from within a city park is not allowed, correct? Can I launch from, let's say, a sidewalk? Cul-de-sac? Any other public area where there aren't any people?

Just curious, what are the current L.A. drone regulations? From what I understand, launching from within a city park is not allowed, correct? Can I launch from, let's say, a sidewalk? Cul-de-sac? Any other public area where there aren't any people?
What part of so cal do u stay.
I was joking about seeing any freaky stuff in livingooms.

As for the regulations...just use your good judgment. I'm not sure what's legal but every time a police officer approached me all was cool once I said the above stuff & conveyed I'm not up to anything fishy they were more like I was when I saw some guy flying his phantom.

City of Seattle has an ordinance that states no model airplanes/UAVs may be flown in city parks. So what does that mean?

I can't fly above a city park? At what altitude? 5 feet off the ground? 100 ft.? 300ft.?
or does it mean I can't launch from? land? control from? a park

I know the FAA controls the airspace, but in theory, where does that begin? If it begins as soon as you are 1" off the ground then I will fly "in" the parks. I will just stand on the sidewalk and takeoff/recover there.

thoughts?

If you are familiar with Seattle... most of the beaches are park lands. And our parks up here are big.... really big. So in order to find open space to fly near the city, the safer place is the parks.

City law prohibits drones and other remote-controlled aircraft in parks (SMC 18.12.265)
what city and I wish the faa would make it know that they are the boss when it comes to flying cus it seems like ever were u go ever city council and man with a badge have been making their own rules its like ever were that is beautiful or were a bunch of kids could stand safely be hind u and have a blast watching u fly u cant fly their that's just crazy I mean nature parks are u for real

Sorry to hear that but face facts, someone or more than one caused it with their behavior. Look at all the stupid things people post on youtube flying drones as an example.

We as a community must police our own ranks if we hope to move forward.
yeah you are right pretty soon it will be like Canada no hobby flyers because people cant be responsible like the guy trying to fly and record the nsa I mean come on that's just trying to start something

We agree to disagree.

I found it was much easier to address this on the front side before an ordinance went into place where I live & fly. I was actually "consulted with" in this regards and they came up with a fair and not over reaching "Land Use Ordinance" in our county and the town where I work is currently trying to mimic that same ordinance.

One thing to understand, and let this soak in.... is that UAS operators are such a small percentage of the overall population. We can jump up and down, wave our arms in the air, scream, pout, cry, threaten all we want but at the end of the day the Media Hype has already beat us to the punch. People are so "Drone Skeered" that it's not even funny and all it takes is one person to say, "I don't feel safe with that contraption flying anywhere near our park" for them to get banned and stay banned.

Like it or not we are a small minority and well behind the curve in terms of public perception and public opinion of our "flying machines of terror, spying, and mass destruction".

Of course it's your city and your hobby so by all means address it any way you want but remember this... in our circles we are big fish in a small pond but the moment we step out into reality we are but a small larvae in the ocean. John Q. Public will determine our fate whether we like it or not. That's a reality and one we'll have to face sooner or later.
we keep pushing the limits we will be like Canada soon

its relevant because their is more places restricted like the place ur talking about ever day because of un safe pilots ever day and they will keep restricting them till hobbyist can no longer fly because it will be illegal like it is in Canada now

cleardot.gif

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl