Can I fly in a national wildlife refuge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, I know I cannot fly in a national park, (by the way, I am flying as a hobbyist) where I live, there are tons of nice parks around me, but many of them are designated as national wildlife refuges. Does that mean the same thing As a national park? Meaning I cannot fly in a national wildlife refuge?

Ok, I know I cannot fly in a national park, (by the way, I am flying as a hobbyist) where I live, there are tons of nice parks around me, but many of them are designated as national wildlife refuges. Does that mean the same thing As a national park? Meaning I cannot fly in a national wildlife refuge?
Just to clarify, I live in Oregon, and am asking about Oregon parks.

Do you think it's a good idea? Do you think it might shed a negative light on our Industry if you chose to take this endeavor?

Sometimes being LEGAL and being the RIGHT thing to do are not one and the same. Just because you "Can" doesn't mean you should.

I haven't researched it that deeply but this is what I found on a quick google search:

Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface of the following: National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Lakeshores, Recreation Areas and Scenic Riverways administered by the National Park Service, National Wildlife Refuges, Big Game Refuges, Game Ranges and Wildlife Ranges ...

With all due respect... do you know how to do a Google search?

Seriously, it's 2019 and it's been around for 20+ years now.

• Haha
Reactions: LARA images
With all due respect... do you know how to do a Google search?

Seriously, it's 2019 and it's been around for 20+ years now.
Google has lots of correct and incorrect info on it. I wanted to ask people I thought would be more experienced and knowledgeable than me.

My apologies as I now see your age.

Do you think it's a good idea? Do you think it might shed a negative light on our Industry if you chose to take this endeavor?

Sometimes being LEGAL and being the RIGHT thing to do are not one and the same. Just because you "Can" doesn't mean you should.

I haven't researched it that deeply but this is what I found on a quick google search:

Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface of the following: National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Lakeshores, Recreation Areas and Scenic Riverways administered by the National Park Service, National Wildlife Refuges, Big Game Refuges, Game Ranges and Wildlife Ranges ...
The problem I'm having is that I mountain bike a lot in random parks in my area. When I get to the top of a hill, I generally want to fly up and get some pictures and videos of the view for 2 minutes, land, pack up and leave. Problem is that in my area tons of the parks have names that include national wildlife refuge in them. I'm wondering if it is illegal to fly. But it is seeming that it is not as cut-and-dry as I was originally thinking. I have NO intention of flying in any "National Park". But I'm wondering if a small wildlife refuge falls under the laws of national park no fly zones.

It's usually against the rules to fly in a Wildlife Reserve, but not over. However, as Al said, it's probably not a good idea. Especially during nesting season.

The problem I'm having is that I mountain bike a lot in random parks in my area. When I get to the top of a hill, I generally want to fly up and get some pictures and videos of the view for 2 minutes, land, pack up and leave. Problem is that in my area tons of the parks have names that include national wildlife refuge in them. I'm wondering if it is illegal to fly. But it is seeming that it is not as cut-and-dry as I was originally thinking. I have NO intention of flying in any "National Park". But I'm wondering if a small wildlife refuge falls under the laws of national park no fly zones.
This probably isn't the best place to ask your question. A lot of people in here love and support the drone restrictions placed on them. It makes them feel important to grow their drone certification portfolio.

NOTICE: I said "A lot of people in here". I did not say "everyone in here".

Reactions: RKBA and Phantom_Al
Ok folks... let's keep it CIVIL and not personal. Warnings have been issued and we've cleaned up the thread (mostly).

If it devolves again we'll lock the thread down for good and "some" members might get a vacation . . .

Play NICE or don't post in the thread at all ! ! !

Reactions: Phantom_Al
That's what I'm trying to figure out. What are the FAA rules on these nuanced areas?

Weston there is still some "Grey Area" on this topic and many more. Your best bet, and ONLY official option is to contact your local FSDO and get their ruling IN WRITING! Nothing else matters even though you've been given the correct advice already... .

"it's not a good idea to do it..."

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20