Cinematography - It's a cruel mistress

Thank you for your feedback.
I am seeking advise as what to do or where to look for more resources in aerial cinematography or just cinematorraphy from an artistic perspective or view.
I always had flying mages in my mind with music orchestrating them, and now with the advance of the technology I can materialize them!
I havent study anynting ,not even photography,neither shooting videos at all, although I compose my own orchestral music.( In this specific video the sountrack is of Ennio Morricone).
I just create by heart.
I welcome the advise and critique either from the point of the simple viewer or from the more experienced filmers in there.

Geo74 said:
I am seeking advise as what to do or where to look for more resources in aerial cinematography or just cinematorraphy from an artistic perspective or view.
I always had flying mages in my mind with music orchestrating them, and now with the advance of the technology I can materialize them!
I havent study anynting ,not even photography,neither shooting videos at all, although I compose my own orchestral music.( In this specific video the sountrack is of Ennio Morricone).
I just create by heart.
I welcome the advise and critique either from the point of the simple viewer or from the more experienced filmers in there.

You have good basic instincts and timing. Learn the cinematography rules you'll be in good shape to make interesting videos.

LandYachtMedia said:
Geo74 said:
I just create by heart.

You have good basic instincts and timing. Learn the cinematography rules you'll be in good shape to make interesting videos.

Could you please provide me with some interesting links with more info on the subject?
Thank you very much for all your efforts in this forum

I find interesting tidbits of info in a number of places. I tend to be less impressed with the offerings of most of the self proclaimed "experts" in the field so I'm somewhat hesitant to throw around links.

One of the best ways to learn about cinematography and editing is to watch your favorite movies and take note about the shots they include and how they are cut together. Watch how the frame gets closer to the subject as the get to know the character better. Look for patterns in the cinematography. Those patterns you will come to understand as "the rules". Learn them and use them. Know when its OK to break them.

If you can, subscribe to the ASC magazine. In there you will see cinematographer writing about how and why they shot things the way they did for a particular film. http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/March2014/current.php

You also have to get out and shoot. Then shoot some more. Once you are tired of it, shoot even more. It needs to become second nature.

It is a life long journey. It is worth the effort.

LandYachtMedia said:
I find interesting tidbits of info in a number of places. I tend to be less impressed with the offerings of most of the self proclaimed "experts" in the field so I'm somewhat hesitant to throw around links.

One of the best ways to learn about cinematography and editing is to watch your favorite movies and take note about the shots they include and how they are cut together. Watch how the frame gets closer to the subject as the get to know the character better. Look for patterns in the cinematography. Those patterns you will come to understand as "the rules". Learn them and use them. Know when its OK to break them.

If you can, subscribe to the ASC magazine. In there you will see cinematographer writing about how and why they shot things the way they did for a particular film. http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/March2014/current.php

You also have to get out and shoot. Then shoot some more. Once you are tired of it, shoot even more. It needs to become second nature.

It is a life long journey. It is worth the effort.

Thank you! All help is much aprreciated

Geo74 said:
Hi,
It is my first post here , but for many time I was reading all of you here.
I recently decided to purchase a phantom 2 with gorpo and I did not regret it.
Here is my first complete video (although its 1 minute only long).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5VwhiUxoI

I am completly noob in cinematography and video editing software . I had to find out anything by my own in 2-3 days of use of this little wonderful machine and to tame the basics of Adobe Premiere Pro.
What do you think of that ?

Excellent!

RE the Anavatos video, stunning location - my thoughts are as follows...

- The fades from one clip to another are clunky. Use straight cuts. Don't use effects or gimmicks to try and make it more cinematic - it's not making it more cinematic, it just cheapens it!

- Don't have almost exactly the same view in one shot to the next. Look at how aerial footage is used on TV and in films. It's never 5 minutes of just aerial stuff...that gets dull. Shoot something on an iphone even - anything to break up the aerial stuff.

- The shot at the beginning where you're going over trees, I like shots like that where you use a foreground object to reveal something interesting in the background. You kind of do it here. The phantom and gopro combo isn't great for this as you aren't really able to get that longer focal length type compressed look as you say, rise over the crest of a hill.

- Use the phantom to do nice smooth shots quite low to the ground that would normally require a dolly. If it's a calm day, the phantom is so stable it's nice to do this. Flying low over water is always fun, and looks great.Flying through archways, be brave :D

- Some of the camera moves are a wee bit awkward - what I mean is there is some yaw movement from one side to the next. Keep it smooth, linear if you can. Big arcs, straight lines - super smooth. No yawing about :)

- Get in close - that is a stunning location.

It's pretty decent for a first go though, i'm sure since you've posted that you've got better.

Judderman said:
RE the Anavatos video, stunning location - my thoughts are as follows...

- The fades from one clip to another are clunky. Use straight cuts. Don't use effects or gimmicks to try and make it more cinematic - it's not making it more cinematic, it just cheapens it!

- Don't have almost exactly the same view in one shot to the next. Look at how aerial footage is used on TV and in films. It's never 5 minutes of just aerial stuff...that gets dull. Shoot something on an iphone even - anything to break up the aerial stuff.

- The shot at the beginning where you're going over trees, I like shots like that where you use a foreground object to reveal something interesting in the background. You kind of do it here. The phantom and gopro combo isn't great for this as you aren't really able to get that longer focal length type compressed look as you say, rise over the crest of a hill.

- Use the phantom to do nice smooth shots quite low to the ground that would normally require a dolly. If it's a calm day, the phantom is so stable it's nice to do this. Flying low over water is always fun, and looks great.Flying through archways, be brave :D

- Some of the camera moves are a wee bit awkward - what I mean is there is some yaw movement from one side to the next. Keep it smooth, linear if you can. Big arcs, straight lines - super smooth. No yawing about :)

- Get in close - that is a stunning location.

It's pretty decent for a first go though, i'm sure since you've posted that you've got better.

Thanks for your comments!
You are right about the fades ins and outs . I am trying to avoid them as I I did not like much them either !

The yawing is difficult to avoid it if you shoot in windy conditions with a 2d gimbal as mine. Even with the post stabilization. Although I have found that if I proccess the stabilized film once more time the yaw almost disappears.

Close to ground shots are essentials as just only aerial shots gets boring.
Most videos I see here or elsewhere get quickly boring because of that. As I say is like you have a tripod in the air at a certain altitude and take long boring shots and slow 360 pans.

Yes we have limitations as far regarding the focal length. Whenever I can, I use digital zoom in post proccesing and even I am experimenting with blurs in the background , triyng to simulate somewhat that effect ,but that require hours of work in After Effects.
Some time I will revisit the place I will remake the film from start, shooting from many angles ( back then I had only 1 baterry !) and doing close ups through the abandoned houses .

Saying about dolly check this video of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXiQrmYmRmU|

Also you can check the following videos :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG_XHMp0wMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSnzKFmgGIw

Your comments are always welcome!

Some lovely shots in there Geo - flying around that art gallery is tight, so well done!

The phantoms movement low to the ground reminds me of steadicam rig, which (in my humble opinion!) is grand for a few shots, but whenever the same type of camera motion is applied throughout, It gets a wee bit tiring! I've seen people shoot wedding videos on steadicam, with big long, unnecessary takes throughout. Orbiting constantly around bride/groom.

My opinion, is that a few of these shots, maybe to establish the location are good. After that though, i'm a fan of some regular tripod shots or even a camera on a slider. Focus pulls, tight shots on the artwork or whatever - mixing it up really! I think that many people when they get something like a phantom, rely to heavily on it to shoot *everything*.

In your Chios ,Sikelia video, you start with a lovely shot, but your camera movement is forward, then left a bit, and forward e.t.c. I know we can't always fly perfect all the time, but it looked pretty calm to me! I'd have continued along left, totally linear, not moving forward, allowing the light from the sun to occasionally filter in through the branches, which looks really nice! You actually have enough of a constant direction in that shot there, you could just edit out the other movements! You could cut in from about 13s on?

Your shot from 1:26 on - love that, nice and close, varied the distance - like I said in my last post, mix it up. Try not to have too many shots sequentially that look very similar in composition. And whilst some might like fades, I'm not a fan :) You will see fades used in TV/Film - but pay attention to it next time you're watching TV, and I bet almost all the cuts are...well, just straight hard cuts.

You're lucky to live in such a beautiful country, I'm guessing you have nice light like that on a fairly regular basis.

In my view the Phantom / Arial Photography is fantastic for B-roll footage. I don't really see how it can produce A-roll footage. There is no ability to focus as all the cameras are first person view, infinite focus, ultra wide angle lenses. I would be ecstatic to hear any ideas on how to produce A-roll footage with this equipment. :|

Hi there im making Aerial Video based on several tips of this post... hope you enjoyed, and i open for suggestion
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ySEey-VYo[/youtube]

Thanks
Thor

I come from a cinematography background and I am an experienced Steadicam Operator... My Phantom 2 Vision Plus arrives tomorrow and though probably easier said than done, my expectations are to master it for shots that are just as smooth as my Steadicam rig. The Steadicam took 100's of hours of use before I was "good" and I am sure this aerial platform will be the same process of practice. Looking forward to this challenge and and a lot of processing time for lens correction.

About this thread in particular, I am so glad it exists and dialogue is flowing among a lot of people. I for one, have been so underwhelmed by the "videos" posted from aerial platforms... with the exception of a few ultra pros, I usually find videos of "I took off and flew for 8 minutes with jerky movements around an area of little interest with a curved horizon line, then landed." It is great to come across incredible motion picture art and I think everyone participating in this thread will be able to take their skills to the next level which is always a goal of mine. I look forward to the progress of a more cinematic and story telling in aerial photography/cinematography. Back to anticipating the delivery of my Phantom...

This thread is a bit old and I've been working too much to participate on the forum much here but.. Here is a drone shot used in a short film. Its not fancy but it fit the needs of the story. One of the biggest challenges with this technology is using it with a purpose and not because its cool.

When this film has been shown at festivals inevitably someone asks how the opening shot was done.

http://youtu.be/eqzvvnHTetY

Here's my latest attempt at cinematography using an aerial platform. Critics welcome, but caveats are it was shot using a consumer phone and aerial platform. Hoping to up the game with better technique, higher end equipment, tighter editing etc next year.

Beautiful New England fall foliage from in and around North Conway and Lincoln, New Hampshire.

Featuring the Conway Scenic Railroad's "7470" steam engine and dramatic aerial views of the White Mountains area at high peak color.

http://vimeo.com/109689700

Here's my attempt at making a 'cinematic-looking' quadcopter video. It doesn't tell a story or anything, just strung some clips together.

[vimeo]114459641[/vimeo]

Heres my take. Im a member of the DGA for 40 years, shot and directed tons of TV, Videos etc., I get VERY offended when people in this business refer to themselves as "cinematographers" because they shot some skateboard/skiing/snowboard/surfing, etc., etc., videos with a Go Pro camera or with the PTV with various cameras attached. e.g. the people at Octofilms who refer to themselves as "cinematographers". UGGG. This term should ONLY be applied to those people who have actually, set up shots, used lights and studied their craft and know how to read a light meter and use the proper lenses for a specific effect. Refer to yourselves as "videographers" or "shooters" if you must and leave the term for people who have toiled long and hard to earn the title "cinematographer"

Prylar Bek said:
Heres my take. Im a member of the DGA for 40 years, shot and directed tons of TV, Videos etc., I get VERY offended when people in this business refer to themselves as "cinematographers" because they shot some skateboard/skiing/snowboard/surfing, etc., etc., videos with a Go Pro camera or with the PTV with various cameras attached. e.g. the people at Octofilms who refer to themselves as "cinematographers". UGGG. This term should ONLY be applied to those people who have actually, set up shots, used lights and studied their craft and know how to read a light meter and use the proper lenses for a specific effect. Refer to yourselves as "videographers" or "shooters" if you must and leave the term for people who have toiled long and hard to earn the title "cinematographer"

I agree with you - but if that's directed at me, I never claimed to be a cinematographer. Heck, I'm not even a videographer. I just like to take some vids here and there and have some fun with it.

Was not directed at you. It was just a general rant. People don't want to put the 'sweat equity' to earn titles. They figure they can get a camera, shoot some crap and give them selves a name, form a company and off they go! And BTW,your footage looks great! I have shot (as in a DP) tons of stuff and I don't consider myself a cinematographer, I'm like you with my PTV+, shooting for fun, thats it. The rant was meant for all these 'aerial' entities popping up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair