Cinematography - It's a cruel mistress

Hiway said:
LandYachtMedia said:

In the meantime here are a few film making terms to read up on and get familiar with. Understanding these terms will make it much more efficient to communicate concepts.

Parallax and reverse parallax (a possible result of camera movement)

Coincidence you mention this- and here I will stay on topic and on point:

I am currently trying to develop a set of images where I use time lapse footage and then pan or tilt within the footage (if anyone has seen the opening credits or intro for Netflix "House of Cards" then I want to emulate that but in a different manner)

I assume this would be an example of that?

I've not watched the series but I did just check out the opening credits on YouTube. Many of those shots were done with a motorized slider. The absence of parallax is a give-away that the effect was done in post. It can be simulated to some extent by creating keyed layers in the video and moving them around. The effect works best on dolly type moves where you can use the growing foreground objects to cover where you clipped the object from the original image.

You can see the effect done with a still image in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96QuU5XB-X8

LandYachtMedia said:
Hiway said:
LandYachtMedia said:

Many of those shots were done with a motorized slider. The absence of parallax is a give-away that the effect was done in post. It can be simulated to some extent by creating keyed layers in the video and moving them around. The effect works best on dolly type moves where you can use the growing foreground objects to cover where you clipped the object from the original image.

Understood, and I find it fascinating how the subtle differences can relay so much. Very cool technique. Thanks LYM.
(Oh- I got kin near Hickory... love me some north cackalackey people, and the food is pure heaven)

I want to state if its not already obvious that this is a discussion and not a lecture on cinematography. I'm tossing some of my personal thoughts out here as fodder to discuss. Feel free to agree or offer alternate views. I for one would love to hear new takes on imagery.

Anyone with a thought or concept to add to the discussion please join in. If you have a cinematography trick or tip for sure share those too!

OK. I think I have landed on a method to discuss cinematography in relation to the Phantom.

Lets take a look at some of the shots the Phantom is ideal for and look at how you can get them.

Establishing shots:

This one is kind of a no-brainer. The Phantom is perfect to give a shot of an exterior of a building or a field or any other location where you will be moving in to the subject of interest in subsequent shots. The trick with establishing shots is they need to be in context with the shots that come after it in the sequence. As an example you wouldn't necessarily do a top down view that looks like a satellite watching if the next shot was going to be a couple having a picnic in the field. Well you wouldn't do that unless you were trying to communicate that they were being watched by the NSA or something. ;) Make the establishing shot make sense with the shots that follow.

So one rule of thumb to use for establishing shots is they need to be taken such that the audience could see themselves in that position. That doesn't mean that position has to be a place where a person could stand. It just means that the view is plausible and relatable to the audience.

Reveals:

A reveal is a shot where you move the camera so that the view to the audience quickly changes to reveal something important. An example of such a shot would be flying along a walking path with the camera pointed down then suddenly going over the edge of the grand canyon. You have just “revealed” that the path stopped and possibly gave some of your audience with a fear of heights a good scare. :)

In the opening few seconds of this video you can see an example of what I'm talking about. This one isn't so dramatic since you are seeing what is coming ahead of time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2X4U1mQzoE

Another type of reveal is called a Pivot Reveal. This one is where you can use your Phantom to circle an object and use the “reverse parallax” in the shot to quickly reveal a background element important to the story.

Here is a short scene that nicely uses a pivot reveal at the end – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX2w0O1CnIs

Now to make the pivot reveal relatable to at least one of the pilots here on the forum lets take a look at a specific shot setup. You have a golfer in the t-box getting ready to swing, you are shooting them from a profile position, as they start to move the camera is moving behind them but keeping them centered up in the frame, the background of the shot is moving horizontally and as the golfer strikes the ball the camera comes to a stop directly behind the golfer as they hold their pose for the camera and you are left looking down the fairway as the ball streaks off down range.

Obviously this is a challenging shot since you have to fly around your subject and yaw the craft at the same time AND bring it to a stop at the right point. All while having proper timing with the swing. Not an easy one to pull off and one that would require a NUMBER of takes to even get close. But this is a very high end type of shot and developing these kind of flying skills will be beneficial so I recommend you practice this.

With a reveal you can use any movement direction of the Phantom to create a reveal. As another example you can fly along a fence to conceal the view behind then reveal the background by either flying past the end of the fence horizontally or rising above it. So picture the Phantom following a person in profile as they walk along the fence. From the story you know they are going home. As they walk along the Phantom rises to reveal a neighborhood in total chaos. You have just made a dramatic statement about the story without saying one word of dialog.

Lastly on this one I'll give another scenario. You are hovering outside the window of a house and you see a small fire inside that is getting bigger. You the lift the Phantom to reveal that all the houses in the neighborhood are on fire. So you just showed the audience the specifics of what was going on then you “revealed” the problem was on a much larger scale than what they may have initially thought with the shot.

Reveals are a great way to keep visual interest in your media going. They are powerful story telling tools. The Phantom makes some of these shots possible with very little extra equipment needed.

-To be continued-

Thanks for posting this and making it phantom specific. I will be adding your suggestions to my shot list which is just a list of all the cool things I have seen in other peoples videos and why I liked them. My aim is to have it with me in the field to jog my memory to consider other shot possibilities once I have grabbed everything I planned to grab.

I look forward to future posts.

Shrimpfarmer said:
... I will be adding your suggestions to my shot list which is just a list of all the cool things I have seen in other peoples videos and why I liked them....
I look forward to future posts.

Ditto and ditto.

Thanks guys, I finally settled on this method since I'm sure people don't want to read my ramblings about things such as "the line" when that concept doesn't apply to moving camera shots like you would get with the Phantom.

If anything else I hope people start thinking about the shots they get and start using planned shots to tell a story versus showing us pseudo-random shots of places and things. Those videos can be cool but won't stay interesting for long. Not to mention they don't challenge you as a story teller.

Its all about the story and the Phantom is just one of the tools that should be used to tell that story.

I think the next entry will be on tracking shots.

Going to subscribe to this thread.... I'll just be lurking in the background trying to take what you are saying to heart and remember it when I'm shooting from the phantom

Last week I attended the Va. Prof. Photographers Assoc. annual convention....one of our seminar speakers was Victor Ha who travels the world teaching cinematography to still photographers. It was a fantastic seminar teaching all the basics and rules. He mentioned the No.1 rule was not to break the 180 degree plane. He said it was ok to break the rule if you established the back side of the scene. What is your opinion on this for aerial cinematography?

Last week I attended the Va. Prof. Photographers Assoc. annual convention....one of our seminar speakers was Victor Ha who travels the world teaching cinematography to still photographers. It was a fantastic seminar teaching all the basics and rules. He mentioned the No.1 rule was not to break the 180 degree plane. He said it was ok to break the rule if you established the back side of the scene. What is your opinion on this for aerial cinematography?

The rule still applies. You wouldn't want to cut from multiple conflicting perspectives that would create spatial confusion in your audience (unless that is the affect you were going for).

I do agree that once you establish the space in your audiences mind it is much less confusing when you break the rule. You should avoid breaking the 180 rule when introducing a space to the audience.

Just an interjection: This thread is perhaps my most favorite on this entire forum. Good Stuff!! Keep on keepin' on!!!

LandYachtMedia said:
OK. I think I have landed on a method to discuss cinematography in relation to the Phantom.

Lets take a look at some of the shots the Phantom is ideal for and look at how you can get them.

Establishing shots:

Reveals:

I would just add that camera blocking (movement) is a visual language that, at least at some level, all of us understand even if we can't put a finger on exactly what it is that either wows us or we find in congruent or out of place.

Hi,
It is my first post here , but for many time I was reading all of you here.
I recently decided to purchase a phantom 2 with gorpo and I did not regret it.
Here is my first complete video (although its 1 minute only long).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5VwhiUxoI

I am completly noob in cinematography and video editing software . I had to find out anything by my own in 2-3 days of use of this little wonderful machine and to tame the basics of Adobe Premiere Pro.
What do you think of that ?

Very good! Can't wait to see what you are doing in a few months from now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your wonderful tips on cinematography...keep posting...great thread. I also learned from Victor at our seminar that dissolves were for the 70's look and cuts as well as fade to blacks between scenes were the in thing. Being from the old school of 16mm film days (70's) and working for a production company....using the A and B roll to do dissolves were the cool thing...since video was just being introduced and totally out of anyone's budget at the time....I went back and did a re-edit on one of my travel videos...I converted all the dissolves with straight cuts...It really made a huge difference and more interesting visually....Please, keep up your great posts...and everyone's discussions and examples will make us all better story tellers. Thanks to all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl