Choppy video feed

Reaction score
Hi all got a P4 pro and was on a job at the weekend a d keep getting green screeen and very choppy video making it hard to get some smooth video , any ideas ? Cheers in advance Dan

I know if I fly mine around the house I get choppy video but over the weekend I took it someplace else and the video was fine I have electric wires around and it will mess with it.

Hi all got a P4 pro and was on a job at the weekend a d keep getting green screeen and very choppy video making it hard to get some smooth video , any ideas ? Cheers in advance Dan
Did you try another usb and transmission channels

Often the choppy video on your tablet or phone is that the tablet can't keep up. Disable video cash in GO and turn off and or disable all apps you don't use or need in your tablet. Once your maps are loaded turn your tablet to aircraft mode, this will help and if it dosn't you may need another tablet or phone that can handle the data better. Since GO4 many units are having a hard time to keep up. If the video on the card in your Phantom is good your tablet is the problem. Check your usb cable like ianzone said from RC to tablet and make sure it's a good one.

Reactions: Itsagoodalife
Check your iOS I have a mini ipad2 and after installing 11.03 I got the same problem on a job So I took off iPad and put my iPhone 6 Plus on the controller and it worked great. iPhone 6 Plus has 10.33 iOS so I'm sure it's apple's fault.

Reactions: Chris berd
Oh and iPad has 32 gigs of ram 24 gigs of free space. 6plus has 16gigs and only 400 megs free space. It's and iOS problem.

Happens with Android and Go 4 too. What has helped me most is turning off the local cache for video and audio.

My p4 did the same thing. iPad mini 3 with iOS 11.0.3! Switched to iPhone 7 plus with iOS 11.0.3 and works perfect! I think that my iPad can't keep up after uploading latest go4 firmware. Although it does the same thing on Litchi! Weird!!!!

I'm having the same issue, but never had it with my P4 but now with the P4P and new updates happens all the time.....so I do not believe it is an IOS problem, but I believe it is a Phantom or update issue....just saying. I'll try things that were suggested, but never needed it before.

Could these issues be heat related? My mini2 (A7 CPU) craps out in temps above 90f. However I haven't had the issue with my Air 2 (A8 CPU) What temps are you guys flying in?

On my P3P, I used an Ipad mini 2, on 2.4ghz, and it was rock solid for very long distances. Bought the P4P, and the iPad mini 2 is practically useless (same IOS version). I get choppy, green screen on live feed consistently. I tried, re-linking RC, turning off background refresh and Bluetooth on ipad, delete/reinstall app, turning off video cache...nothing works. Same result whether I'm 50ft or 500ft away. If you look at the available channels they are mostly red, and this is out in the middle of nowhere. If I choose 5.8ghz, it becomes usable, but still plenty of dropout on the live feed.

If I use my iPhone 7 Plus or my wife's iPhone 8 Plus (running 11.1.1), I get great live feed with the same settings as the Mini2. Since I want a little bigger screen, I bought a Mini 4 yesterday, and will give that a try. The DJI Go app is the only app installed on the Mini 4 besides the standard IOS apps. But I have heard of success using the Mini 4. To me so far, it makes a great difference in which device I use, with the same settings for each.

Run the mini 4 on older IOS version. Newer IOS are backward compatible with older Apple devices. The apps will run but are not necessarily on same speed on different Apple devices on the same IOS. This is probably true on android devices too. I have IOS 11 on my IPad 10.5 with A10 chip. Because I have DJI Go 4 on my IPad, I will not upgrade to the next IOS since Apple now has A11 chip. The current IOS is optimized on this devices. My iPad is now ’backward compatible’ mode with this current IOS.

Thanks Speedmeister, I'll check when I get home what IOS version the Mini 4 came with, and make sure not to upgrade.

I keep my iPad mini 2 dedicated to my P3P for this reason, fixed with an old GO app and oldre iOS version. The A7 CPU in the mini 2 isn't enough to run newer GO4 apps. The green screen break ups are the CPU overheating, more prevalent in warm weather or if you have a protective cover over the iPad that prevents optimal cooling. The mini 4 with A8 CPU should work better. I use an Air 2 with my P4P which has the A8.

Has a chance to try the P4P today with the new mini 4 running iOS 10.3.3. This was my best flying experience on the P4P. Flew out to about 2800 feet with no live video frame dropouts or green screens. I did have video cache turned off. Ran 2.4ghz, auto mode. Keeping all versions the same for the foreseeable future.

Has a chance to try the P4P today with the new mini 4 running iOS 10.3.3. This was my best flying experience on the P4P. Flew out to about 2800 feet with no live video frame dropouts or green screens. I did have video cache turned off. Ran 2.4ghz, auto mode. Keeping all versions the same for the foreseeable future.
That's great news, glad the mini4 worked out. Remember, distance isn't a function of the iPad, it's the integrity of the connection between the craft and controller. The iPad is only displaying the video that the controller feeds it through the USB cable. You're mini2 couldn't handle the new application, which implies to me the new GEO function is using a lot of CPU bandwidth, constantly calculating GPS location to the database of NFZs. That apparently hinders the CPU from keeping up with the m.264 decoding of the compressed video stream, coming through the USB cable.
Try 5.8Ghz AUTO, you'll go farther, especially with a windsurfer, easily getting over 4mi with LOS connection (no trees in the way). The 5.8Ghz band has less interference, which lets you fly farther, and the windsurfer helps to shield interference from behind you, as well as focus more signal to the drone, using a directional parabolic reflector.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl