Choppy descent

Thanks for all that lake_flyer, especially first thing in the morning. I'm in that state right now.

I will try flying without the prop guards (I have standard props on it), and already have them off.

No, not getting a "getterback", if she goes in the water I'm done with her... good luck to whoever finds her. As far as winds... they are ever-changing here and one can't tell what they are doing aloft.

"You will be opening the shell lots of times"... seriously doubt that, I probably won't invest in a gimbal or the time to install one, I have no patience for playing with tiny screws and wires but I won't yet rule a gimbal out. I got this to fly, not to tinker with. If I stay with the "hobby" I may later invest instead in something like the yuneec Q500 which appears to require less. Or maybe I'll just watch the birds.

I take my motorcycles to my mechanic (either via trailer or taking cabs 2 ways @ about $60) for oil changes cause I hate tinkering and would rather pay $100. Same thing, don't want to work on them a second and used to like waxing/cleaning them up but hate it anymore... only want to ride them.

I might find out about the prop guards and wobble today, but it may still be too windy.

Thanks everyone for trying to be helpful but honestly aside from shaky video coming down sometimes, the wobble has not been that big of a deal, never crashed or thought I was about to.

Hesitant to upload any vids showing this issue because of my bandwidth limits.

I'll post a video with a very choppy descent (start and recovery out of VRS) in a few hours. Must get rid of my coordinates in the FVP overlay somehow before I set it to public on Youtube.

OK, have watched some on youtube... similar to what I am experiencing but I haven't really had crash problems or even big issues recovering. Just makes video unuseable, which is the only thing I got this for... photo/video.

I already have underwater capabilities, 4K, even 3D so thought aerial might be a good thing to add. :)

Posted in the FC40 forum.

Yeah that's something like what is happening to mine. Doesn't always happen as much I think it has a lot to do with the wind as well.

Pretty windy and cold out but I may try to get it in the air for a few min to test it without the prop guards and a new camera.

Listen for the sound VRS makes too.

Your going up without guards and with a new camera :eek: to test VRS?

Folks don't always recover from VRS. It can continue all the way to the crash site.
Typically the first thing to hit is the camera, right after the landing gear breaks off.

Just saying, I would leave the new camera off. But then again, we won't get to see the flight.

Well as I said before I have not felt that this has been out of control, just rough. if I'm gonna be afraid to fly it might as well give it up now :)

Nothing to fear except fear itself. Good point.

And it sounds like you're paying close attention to the bird. My bet is you will do just fine.
I now wish I had given as much thought into flying the Phantom. as you have, when I started out.

Good luck, enjoy

I'll let y'all know how it goes if I can get out there.

I'm careful not to let my $500 get destroyed, but am going to use it. I had first bought a Syma X5C (my first RC "toy") which I must have crashed 50 times but no real harm done. Never had a smooth landing with it yet. Maybe total of 2-3 hours flying it. The Phantom is so much easier to deal with, have not had a crash and only one landing that was a little rough. I probably have a couple hours flying time in now with it.

I would like to see a good landing pad which doesn't hang up the landing gear but does allow the prop wash to pass through. That would be sweet.

Why not? I always start out low and gentle, not going over water this time.
If the problem really is VRS, down low is not the place to be experimenting with it. Although you've not experienced it yet, complete loss of lift can be the result and it can take several hundred feet to recover in those cases.

Get yourself into complete VRS at 50' in still air and it'll hit the ground in free fall before you can blink. Descending should always be done with lateral movement.

Well, got my stuff together, went to the park ... did the compass dance, etc. and when I started the motors one of them is not turning except in short jerky movements. Brought it back home, removed the battery and went through the process again, same thing.

As little as I have messed with this thing I've probably spent more time getting it set up and dealing with issues than I have in the air, which I'm not up for.

I might be done with this, maybe not for good but I got other things that are much more productive.

So no test today and I'm not sure what I'll do next. I think some of the technology is amazing but at the same time a lot of loose ends with these.

OK... update, I did open it up just to see if there was anything in there I'd be inclined to mess with and I doubt it.

So anyone want a hardly used Phantom 1 with possibly one bad motor, extra props, extra battery, unused taller landing gear, anti-jello mount?

For cheap.... but will have to see what they go for on ebay. Make me an offer if interested.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20