Chevron wants to prosecute me for trespassing

1. Lawyer.

2. Usually, you can delay you court date at least once. Do it.

3. Depending on your specific charges, this can be a big deal for your visa/status. It's not just about the fine/jail. THIS can be a very big deal for you.

4. I'm very far from being a lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt, but according to this link, PC 555 says:

It is unlawful to enter or remain upon any posted property
without the written permission of the owner, tenant, or occupant in
legal possession or control thereof. Every person who enters or
remains upon posted property without such written permission is
guilty of a separate offense for each day during any portion of which
he enters or remains upon such posted property.

It says nothing about refineries. It looks like a simple trespassing charge. In fact, it doesn't even sound like what you did is trespassing at all.

5. Document everything. Every interaction, every conversation, have a record of everything.

6. Contact local TV/newspaper. They don't like general paranoia from big oil companies, either. They will probably be friendly to your story and may even get you in touch with a lawyer or give you other good advice.

If this is a simple trespassing charge, and not related to flying the Phantom at all, I would have thought that any reasonable judge would throw the case out of court, given your statement that you did not know it was private property, and that you immediately left when requested to do so. There's clearly no malicious intent on your part.

Best of luck,

witold said:
6. Contact local TV/newspaper. They don't like general paranoia from big oil companies, either. They will probably be friendly to your story and may even get you in touch with a lawyer or give you other good advice.

Probably you will be laughting for next. I am also teacher of computer graphics online classes. Two of my courses dedicate to visual effects and have name "Digital pyrotechnics", "Art of destruction". It is just computer graphic effects (I am doing special effects for hollywood movies). After that incident they went to my linkedin page, read names of my courses and - FBI checked me about relativity to terrorism (do not forget I am originally russian), it was "red flag". Fortunately they found that I am okay, they said to me: "you are not terrorist". Oh. Why it all happens to me? : ))

pawnmeister said:
...nothing personal but am I reading the script to the next Bond flick? :cool:

I am not joking : (
Seriously - it would be funny but actuallyit is not such funny. Okay, may be just a bit. : (

Helios said:
pawnmeister said:

Seriously - it would be funny but actuallyit is not such funny. Okay, may be just a bit. : (

Gold copterrrrr... It's a quad a quad with the midas touch... a spider's touch... (queue the overbearing single note guitar theme here, please... ) :shock:

-slinger

In my experience, law enforcement officials do not conduct business over the telephone. Always ask for a badge number, or agents identification number!

gunslinger said:
Helios said:
pawnmeister said:

Gold copterrrrr... It's a quad a quad with the midas touch... a spider's touch... (queue the overbearing single note guitar theme here, please... ) :shock:

-slinger

and OddJob would throw his hat and bring a drone down...causing all sorts of havoc.

Because no signs exist saying who can use the area for what purpose, does that give you the right to use it for your pleasure?
No.
Hone owners who have places to park their cars generally do not have signs posted. Does this mean you can park their because you want to?
No.
If you wish to film the property, you generally need to obtain permission first.
Chevron has every legal right to prosecute as you were legally trespassing.
You need to hire an attorney and let them do their job.

As for the terrorist side, well you can thank President Bush for making practically every citizen a terrorist.
If you want to do something like this again, park in an area outside of the property then fly over it.
My question has always been, if it's illegal to take a photograph of it, then why is it legal for a satellite to take the same photo?

I agree with everyone else, and that is to get an attorney. Google attorneys in the area and then call each one and see if they feel comfortable working a trespassing case. Just by the name on your vimeo channel maybe you can find someone who speaks your native language (this would definitely be a plus for you). Loved the bird shot you had on your video! Don't let this discourage you just be more careful where you fly next time.

Suwaneeguy said:
Because no signs exist saying who can use the area for what purpose, does that give you the right to use it for your pleasure?
No.
Hone owners who have places to park their cars generally do not have signs posted. Does this mean you can park their because you want to?
No.
If you wish to film the property, you generally need to obtain permission first.
Chevron has every legal right to prosecute as you were legally trespassing.
You need to hire an attorney and let them do their job.

As for the terrorist side, well you can thank President Bush for making practically every citizen a terrorist.
If you want to do something like this again, park in an area outside of the property then fly over it.
My question has always been, if it's illegal to take a photograph of it, then why is it legal for a satellite to take the same photo?

Hi, please don't be mad at me but your statement.. "Hone owners who have places to park their cars generally do not have signs posted. Does this mean you can park their because you want to?" confuses me. If I go to visit someone and I park across the street from his house and there is no signage saying not to, then it is ok. right? Or have things changed that much in the 8 years since I moved to the country

The only reason why the op needs a lawyer is because the legal system has him in their eyes. He needs to address the accusation of trespassing.

I was speaking of driveways.
You can park on any city street as long as there are no posted signs saying otherwise.
That is one thing an attorney could argue with. No posted signs for any reason.
A reasonable person could argue that no signs marking the lot for private use, means the lot is open for public use.

There's a big ol sign, made of wood in bright white lettering that says "Chevron Employee Park" with a guard shack occupied by guard. As you pull off the main road into the park, to the left is a parking lot and straight would be the guard shack... I moved to El Segundo a few years ago.. when I saw that park, and the large oil refinary, common sense told me "That's chevrons employee's park, i'm not an employee so I can't go there.." Am i missing something here?

#2, that park is about 1.75-2.5 miles away from Los Angeles international airport. He would have been in the secondary no-fly zone meaning a graduated height restriction (if using new firmware) There are some pretty tall buildings in that area not to mention Los Angeles AIr Force Base and multiple Military/Space contractor buildings (Raytheon, Boeing, SpaceX, DirecTv, etc) Not to mention El Segundo is a Tree City USA recipient and there are some pretty tall trees in that area as well..

There is a golf course to the east of that parking lot across PCH.... Just a thought..

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9295958 ... 756221,14z

Map of area.. South of LAX, in that clear area is chevron, across the 1 from the 105 to rosecrans and to the 405 is airforce base, space/military contractors, a golf course oh and the Lakers and Kings practice facility...

The USA is having issues with Russia, a Russian is flying his quad near major military installations and a major west coast oil refinery.. Things that make your go hummmm...

I do not agree with the citation. The El Segundo para military force and Chevron do like to throw their weight around... but just throwing out some other facts.

RedRyderMedia said:
Investigate using a public defender. Not sure why Chevron is trying to make a case here. They have lots of $ , but they have better things to do than haul private citizens I to court for minimal reasons. What they can do and what they will do are probably different. Ask the courts for a defense attorney to represent you. Not clear that you would need a private attorney to represent you.

Three reasons come to mind...

1.) fear from media hype
2.) because he is Russian
3.) because they can

Guards also said to me that I must to delete all films I shoted (aftr that I may leave this place). I did it and showed to senior guard. After that they let me go.

Oh, I know who you are now as I purchased the "smoke & fire effect" from "Art of destruction" to add to a building video after the fire was put out.

You are a very talented man!

If you can't afford an attorney at least ask for a public defender to get a feel for the court, may get dropped and cost you nothing, if it goes from there then you can decide if you want to retain a lawyer or not.

Brendan Shulman is the lawyer referenced in the drone law link but he is in New York.

Sounds like you've already learned a harsh lesson that we can all benefit from!

Good luck and keep up the good work with your effects!

BTW still working on the video project and when it's done it will be donated to the non profit that had the fire.

Helios said:
witold said:
I am also teacher of computer graphics online classes. Two of my courses dedicate to visual effects and have name "Digital pyrotechnics", "Art of destruction". It is just computer graphic effects (I am doing special effects for hollywood movies). After that incident they went to my linkedin page, read names of my courses and - FBI checked me about relativity to terrorism (do not forget I am originally russian), it was "red flag". Fortunately they found that I am okay, they said to me: "you are not terrorist". Oh. Why it all happens to me? : ))

Helios said:
Guards also said to me that I must to delete all films I shoted (aftr that I may leave this place). I did it and showed to senior guard. After that they let me go.

The cops were there, you should've told them that you're keeping the video so you have a record of the encounter. Now you have nothing.

Random security guards don't have much power, especially when real cops are present.

Try to recover what you can with recovery software like RescuePro Deluxe and others. At least you will be able to show where you flew and how you flew and - hopefully - you still had it recording the whole encounter with the guards and cops. That would be ideal.

witold said:
Helios said:

The cops were there, you should've told them that you're keeping the video so you have a record of the encounter. Now you have nothing.

Random security guards don't have much power, especially when real cops are present.

Try to recover what you can with recovery software like RescuePro Deluxe and others. At least you will be able to show where you flew and how you flew and - hopefully - you still had it recording the whole encounter with the guards and cops. That would be ideal.

Yes I guess it is possible to recovery if it is very necessary, I did not use the memory card after this incident.

all any video is going to do is be used as evidence that he was there and used as evidence that he was recording. IN other words it will be used to prove it was him that was there.

The biggest mistake in all of this was actually even speaking to the cops and not just hanging up on them or telling them if you committed some sort of crime for THEM TO PROVE IT and prove it with evidence. Tho now that you talked to them at all you gave them all the evidence they will need to prove that 1 you were there 2 that it was YOU that was there. and also even talking to them is admitting that they at least have reasonable proof it was you and that you were in deed there. Remember any thing you say can and will be twisted and used against you in a court of law.

Now that you did talk to them it will be imposable to say you have no ideal what they are even talking about. or able to say ha?drone whats a drone? video, whats a video? This is America and one is not required to incriminate them selves or required to help them find you guilty and convict you. Nore are you required to even try and offer any explanation or excuse. The burden is 100% on them to prove it was you prove you KNOWINGLY trespassed and prove it was even you that was there on the first place. None of which would of been very easy for them to do had you just refused to even speak to the cops when they called.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik