cheap uk pcfo providers

Reaction score
Hi all -

I own an old phantom 3 and just fly occasionally here in the UK as a hobby but I'm a web designer by trade. Recently a couple of clients have had drone footage done by someone else and want it included in their website, and have mentioned they want more done. When one of them found out I had a drone they asked if I could do it. I was aware you needed a commercial license, so I said I'd have to look into it.

I was basically after some input if anyone knows the cheapest avenue to down in the UK to be qualified plus some rough breakdown of costs to get set up. My drone isn't worth much so it seems silly spending a lot, but I could get some occasional jobs out of it. I just need to work out if it's worth it financially - i wouldn't be looking to set up a 'drone business' but just do the occasional job when it came up through what I do with web. I'm a confident flyer - I've been flying my drone for a couple of years now.

From what I can understand a good deal for a course is £1k, plus £112 admin charge to get your pcfo, then annual insurance of around £400. Does that sound about right? Does anyone know of places that are cheaper or allow you pay monthly? I also can't find out what the costs are for permits for each job.

Im confused because this article here (UK CAA propose 128% fee hike for commercial operators - sUAS News - The Business of Drones) says the pcfo is 112, but if I'm right, thats a charge that goes to CAA and they'll only accept that once you have done training with an accredited provider. If that's at the case, then I'm confused why training providers are charging so much and all around the same price with no one drastically undercutting. Is some of this money going to the CAA too? It seems a pretty lucrative business!

Another piece of insight I was after was how do people with certificates compete against those who don't. For an example, I'm aware that even if i get my qualification, those clients will be tempted to just get the people who were doing them before to do them as a hobble, so I couldn't charge a huge amount. I'm pretty sure that would often be the case - I just can't see how all the kids who got a drone for Christmas aren't often doing work on the side. To me the whole system seems a bit strange - like the people who want to do things right are the ones who end up being penalised.

I realise there's a lot of questions there, but I'd really appreciate the insight! Thanks!

The way I see it is, if your not an Ariel photographer by trade and you don't advertise it then you don't need a licence. If its a one off then its really doing a mate a favor. You fly the drone and take pics anyway. Therefore you own the copyright. If someone ask for a copy of the pic for free im sure you will happily email them that pic. If they want to buy you a drink for the pic, or give you some money to say thanks... Well.... To me that's them showing their appreciation. I can't see any reason to get anyone else involved. Its a one off, your helping someone out and in return they want to give you a few quid to buy a few pints as a way of saying thank you [emoji4]

Thanks for the reply. I do advertise that I do video (although its not often I do), just not drone work. I'd be looking to do it more regularly than just this one off as I've had two clients mention it recently - so maybe a couple of times for each. I've read though the CAA docs and they define commercial work as 'in return for remuneration or other valuable consideration'. I'd be worried that they'd class even a pint as renumeration. My other concern would be the insurance - if I did cause an issue, won't insurer be able to say I was doing it for a job?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl