Cheap range extender - Is my 5.8GHz now DEAD!?

Reaction score
THIS:
Xmipbs 10dBi 5.8GHz Omni WiFi Signal Range Extender Antenna Kit For DJI Phantom 3 Standard (WF11): Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

I thought the bad reviews were from people who weren't used to tweaking electronics, but after today I realised that it's more than just cracked plastic - I'm wondering if an antenna could have burned my transmitter's 5.8GHz circuit out?

I scraped off the rubberised glue from the three co-axial plugs, swapped the antenna out, and tested it - the controller reception was at 1 red bar. Though the WiFi video was 100%

(The rubberised glue on this controller was not like other's I'd encountered. It was like industrial strength latex, and certainly not hot-melt glue. It took a LOT of picking off.)

Angry, I went back inside and replaced the range extender back with the stock antennas.

The 5.8GHz signal was STILL AT ONE BAR!

I was gentle - it took me an hour to gently tweeze the rubber from around the three connectors.
The two WiFi ones are working fine - it's just the 5.8GHz one - shown on the left unplugged in the picture below!
(yes, that's not what the problem was before you at the back there shout it out. =P )

Any ideas?
Was it me not grounding myself properly?
Have I scratched a well known sensitive area?
Did the antenna's rubbish SWR burn out the transmitter?

I have no idea!
I even tried with the big stick antenna that came with the dubious range extender - same issue - 1 bar signal.

Can I just buy the board and swap it out?
Would it be easiest just to get a second hand controller?

How much would DJI charge to fix this guarantee ripping tweak?

Any help is much appreciated, I've got no drone for the time being!

20190422_142700.jpg

Last edited:
I found out what's wrong.

When the battery was disconnected - the frequency it was set to was forgotten, and the controller needed re-pairing with the quad copter. There's nothing actually wrong with the 5.8GHz transmitter. Phew!

Thanks, I learned something.

You're welcome! I'm glad I didn't rage-quit the mobo!

I think they used something like aquarium sealant rubber in my controller due to all the people scraping it off. It took a mini knife, razor, and tweezers to pry it off in tiny little parts. The bits of rubber left on the board in the picture look rubbish, but the plugs are cleared... so I'm not going to meddle after almost breaking it.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
And the antennas? Do they perform better than the stock antennas? Surely hope so

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers