Cheap drop system...

• Thread starter Deleted member 68677
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 68677

1516187559600.png

Looks like the remote will be Bluetooth so not a lot of distance can be flown to drop things. But cheap and good for anyone like me thinking of getting one.

I actually ordered this and ended up cancelling the order for what I think will be a much better option.
The limited range, recharging of batteries, strap on device (do you have to remove the camera to use it?) and clunky additional remote turned me off when I found this thing on ebay for only $5 more. Sometimes the simplest way is smartest.

Drone Release and Drop, Payload Delivery device for DJI Phantom 3 | eBay

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm looking forward to it!

Furthermore, using the camera down to trigger it will give your camera a perfect view of the cargo/target as it drops!

Last edited:
I actually ordered this and ended up cancelling the order for what I think will be a much better option.
The limited range, recharging of batteries and clunky additional remote turned me off when I found this for only a bit more. Sometimes the simplest way is smartest.

Drone Release and Drop, Payload Delivery device for DJI Phantom 3 | eBay

I haven't had a change to try it yet but I'm looking forward to it!

Furthermore, using the camera down to trigger it will give your camera a perfect view of the cargo/target as it drops!
Sweet. That looks cool. Can't wait to see it in action. What are you planning to drop? Few eggs on a target would be cool lol

Sweet. That looks cool. Can't wait to see it in action. What are you planning to drop? Few eggs on a target would be cool lol

Tennis balls for my dog is my first plan - I just got my P3P last week and I'm still terrified to fly it out of my line of sight but there is a lot of potential since many friends and family live within a 2-3 mile range.

Maybe I'll try some eggs or water balloons for target practice once I gain some confidence navigating this thing.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Tennis balls for my dog is my first plan - I just got my P3P last week and I'm still terrified to fly it out of my line of sight but there is a lot of potential since many friends and family live within a 2-3 mile range.

Maybe I'll try some eggs or water balloons for target practice once I gain some confidence navigating this thing.
HI recently been playing with water balloons with p4,big balloons with like 1/2ltr water,carefully on lift off and fly smooth or gets out of control real quick,not sure how p3 handle bit of weight but p4 was reVing hard without me reVing it just to stay in the air,lot of strain on the motors and probly shell.good fun but be bit carefull

HI recently been playing with water balloons with p4,big balloons with like 1/2ltr water,carefully on lift off and fly smooth or gets out of control real quick,not sure how p3 handle bit of weight but p4 was reVing hard without me reVing it just to stay in the air,lot of strain on the motors and probly shell.good fun but be bit carefull
I actually read somewhere that the P3 handles lift off with heavy weight better than the P4 for some reason - but either way, I'll stick to tennis balls until I'm more confident

I actually read somewhere that the P3 handles lift off with heavy weight better than the P4 for some reason - but either way, I'll stick to tennis balls until I'm more confident

Thanks for that link, lenabanana. I ordered one. Should be here next week. That's perfect for what I need to keep Parachute Guy from getting tangled in the props.

I saw that video on YouTube where someone did a lift test with a P3 vs. a P4. I believe the P3 managed to lift 2.0 - 2.5 lbs. The P4 did something a bit less than that.

Reactions: lenabanana
My drop device was supposed to be delivered last Thursday but, apparently, the United Postal Service decided to send it on a 7-day all-expense paid trip to see the sights of sunny California before it heads east (sigh). Parachute Guy is really disappointed. He was hoping to get some flight time today. Maybe we'll see it sometime this week. Wish us luck.

Last edited:
My drop device was supposed to be delivered last Thursday but, apparently, the United Postal Service decided to send it on a 7-day all-expense paid trip to see the sights of sunny California before it heads east (sigh). Parachute Guy is really disappointed. He was hoping to get some flight time today. Maybe we'll see it sometime this week. Wish us luck.
Brutal!
Mine showed up 3 days earlier than the scheduled delivery date but the weather has been too yucky to take advantage of it yet.
I did deliver a bag of M&M's about 20 feet to test it and I must say, it snaps in place and releases really nice - I was originally worried the release lever might eventually damage the camera/motor somehow but the tiniest tap makes it release the payload!
I set my C1 to point the camera straight down and the drop is nearly instant! I'm very excited to have some fun with it.
Very happy with my purchase. The guy who designed it put some good thought into it!

That's perfect! Thanks for the update. You addressed all my concerns about messing up the camera/gimbal, so now I'm even more bummed that I didn't have it this past weekend with the decent weather we had. I was actually working on developing a drop device when I found your post. That device is a lot more elegant design than where I was headed, so thanks again for posting that link. I gotta go and cheer up Parachute Guy by telling him it's gonna be worth the wait.

Brilliant stuff. So with the camera, do you see the item before it gets dropped when the camera has to be facing down?

I'm thinking that's the case if you leave the camera in the down position after release. I'm liking the idea of getting some video of Parachute Guy dropping to earth from several hundred feet and the chute opening. I mean, the possibilities are unlimited. For thirty some dollars, this is gonna be really cheap entertainment.

I think eggs would be a great one to do, not over people tho *cough cough*

"What's that in the sky dad"

"Hmm.. Its getting bigger"

SPLAT!!!

[emoji48][emoji48] lol

Exactly. I like to say, "the possibilities are limited only by your imagination and the laws of physics".

OK, well, the drop device was finally delivered on 1/31, 11 days after it was shipped. A great big shout-out to the USPS for all those frequent flyer miles accumulated over 7 days in sunny California. Anyway, the device is both simple and elegant in its design. I was really excited to get it installed and test the function. However, after several attempts and camera adjustments, I can't get it to release. The camera drops down, makes contact with the release lever, and stops there. There's not enough downward force from the camera to push the release lever far enough to release, even when I set the camera to drop instantly. I contacted the seller and was told to carefully stretch the rubber band because "there's a fine balance with the tension". O-K. Will try that before sending it back. After waiting longer than expected to get this, I'm very disappointed in it because I so wanted this to work without having to re-engineer it. @lenabanana, if your device actually worked properly on the first attempt, I'm happy for you.

Exactly. I like to say, "the possibilities are limited only by your imagination and the laws of physics".

OK, well, the drop device was finally delivered on 1/31, 11 days after it was shipped. A great big shout-out to the USPS for all those frequent flyer miles accumulated over 7 days in sunny California. Anyway, the device is both simple and elegant in its design. I was really excited to get it installed and test the function. However, after several attempts and camera adjustments, I can't get it to release. The camera drops down, makes contact with the release lever, and stops there. There's not enough downward force from the camera to push the release lever far enough to release, even when I set the camera to drop instantly. I contacted the seller and was told to carefully stretch the rubber band because "there's a fine balance with the tension". O-K. Will try that before sending it back. After waiting longer than expected to get this, I'm very disappointed in it because I so wanted this to work without having to re-engineer it. @lenabanana, if your device actually worked properly on the first attempt, I'm happy for you.

Oh no!!
I'm so sad for you!
Mine worked right out of the package and my elastic isn't even twisted!
I'll try and get a video up this weekend

As promised, quick demo of it in action:

It has worked every single time, flawlessly. Except once when I installed it backwards.

As promised, quick demo of it in action:

It has worked every single time, flawlessly. Except once when I installed it backwards.

Lenabanana, I'm working through some issues installing mine and believe I know what the problem is. I just want to confirm, your Phantom is something other than a P3S, correct?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4