charging p4p from inverter

Reaction score
hi,

i have tried two different inverters and neither will charge my p4p batteries, the inverters work on everything else. has anyone had any issues with using inverters?
and any suggestions for solutions? my main inverter is pure sine wave.

thanks

Whats the output voltage of your sine wave inverter? Such inverters should work. Connect a lamp in parallel while charging and check if lamp glows.

Also whats the power rating of the inverter? Safe to use 300W + inverters.

Last edited:
Yeah, it definitely takes more juice to charge P4P batteries than it does to power a laptop, charge a phone or other common things an inverter is used for.

hi,

i have tried two different inverters and neither will charge my p4p batteries, the inverters work on everything else. has anyone had any issues with using inverters?

thanks
Have you tried the DJI 12volt Charger?? I keep ours in the back of the car.

We also have a 12v Output in the vehicle which is 'ON' 24/7 so that it can be charged any time.

I can say that it seems to disable itself when the car voltage is reduced a bit, (not tested actual voltage, but the car still starts).

Great when travelling, as a battery seems to charge within 45mins, as we drive. We also have the 3-Battery charging base, which means less down time, if on the road, and useful as we don't always have power available overnight.

I have a '17 F350 Super Duty with a front and rear 400w Inverter built in to the truck. Either one works, but I do use the 3 battery bank drop-in charger. That same built in Inverter charges up everything else including some 5w walkie talkies that I use w the RV.

Now on my truck Forums, a lot have reported back that prior years would not charge electronics due to the sign wave an/or technology that was lacking. So food for thought, maybe you need a better (more expensive, higher-end etc) Inverter?

hi,

thanks

You need to make sure the inverter you are using is a "true sine wave" inverter. It's a technical issue about the way the power is shaped, not something most don't want to hear the details of. Most cheap inverters are going to be square wave or modified sine wave but a lot of electronic equipment will not work with those. We had the same problem with the ones built into our Ford truck. I have an inverter I carry with the drone. The charger should only see volts, amps, and waveform so not sure why it doesn't work if it is a pure sine wave unless the power out is wrong. I did find one that worked that I carry.

Last edited:
thanks for all your comments, i will do some more checking and get back to you.
i purchased a 12volt charger for the car which seems to work only sometimes so i wanted to have the surety of using an inverter when on the road.

I have a DieHard deep cycle 12V battery, a 1000W pure sine wave inverter (This one is "Power Tech On", but there are a lot of them on Amazon). I have a battery isolator solenoid that is connected to my van's battery. It connects the two batteries when the ignition is on, otherwise they are isolated, so I can't run down the van battery accidentally. The inverter powers a Venom P4 Professional battery charger, which can charge four P4 batteries simultaneously (400W total). Assuming a 0.9 efficiency for the inverter and 0.9 efficiency for the charger = 0.81, this would take 500W power from the battery, or 41 Amps. The DieHard battery is 72Ah so theoretically I should be able to charge all four P4 batteries simultaneously for (72/41) = 1.75 hrs. Of course after that, just start the van and charge the system from the alternator. Great for charging P4's in the field, then charging the 12V battery while driving to the next gig. No noisy generator required. I also bought a Black and Decker 6A automatic battery charger to charge the DieHard from 110V if I need to. This rig cost me roughly $450 (battery, inverter, isolator, two circuit breakers, wiring, some scrap 2x4's and plywood, screws, bungee cords, marine batttery box, 110VAC automatic charger).
By the way, the Venom charger is a phenomenal piece of kit, and really speeds up charging. The only problem is you have to move the P4 battery contacts slightly with a wide bladed screwdriver to get them to fit in the charger, but the batteries still fit OK into the Phantom after that. I paid $460 for mine, but they are phasing them out, and now have them on sale for $230:
DJI Phantom 4 Venom Pro Charger 4-Channel 100W Rapid Speed Battery Charger
I would buy one quickly, before they sell out.
I asked customer support about the P4 battery contacts, and he said they are are not going to retool this charger to get a better battery fit, and are discontinuing the chargers (maybe because they are tired of telling customers how to make the batteries fit?). Anyway, once you adjust the P4 battery contacts, the charger runs like a champ, no issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj