Charging in the field...

There's a lot more to solar power you haven't mentioned.

unsure what you are saying

kit has 50w panel ,
165 watt charger/controller
and cables---$83

added 2 x 35 ah deep discharge
$108
at this point It is charging the batteries and i can pull 12V from the load terminals on controller or direct from battery to my inverter.

small, cheap, relatively portable and have more panels coming.
playing with this to see if worth setting up larger scale!

ME TOO!

But please don't use the term 'generator'. Goal Zero doesn't.

Question to Goal Zero users: I have 2 Boulder 30 panels and a Boulder 15, so 75W total in perfect conditions. But these are pricey and I see some really large panels in some places (in my area at Fry's Electronics) for a lot less money. Is there a way for me to wire one of those generic large panels into the system?

Chris

just bought 2 of these kits for $83.00 each
(second kit was was cheep as panels alone).
connected the 2 panels for 100watts total
Grape Solar 50-Watt Off-Grid Solar Panel Kit-GS-50-KIT - The Home Depot

the controller/charger (included) outputs 12v.. so it would charge the Yeti fine!
the controller will handle 3 panels for 150 watts.

they also have a bigger system for a few bucks more- wish I started with this on now that I have learned a bit

Grape Solar 100-Watt Off-Grid Solar Panel Kit-GS-100-KIT - The Home Depot

the controller/charger (included) outputs 12v.. so it would charge the Yeti fine!

they also have a bigger system for a few bucks more- wish I started with this on now that I have learned a bit

Good luck with your system out in the field Kirk as you should realize that solar cells are only used to trickle charge the battery.

This whole thread has been hijacked since the OP had a question regrading Energen P40/A40 Power Banks only.

I took the time to call Energen today and here's the answer to his question. The P40 power bank will be available in about a month at $450 which will charge the batteries of the P3 and P4. Now the A40 has a switch from 3s to 4s batteries so it will charge the P2 3s batteries as well all the other quadcopters listed in the vdieo. The A40 will be available in about 3 months at a cost of $550.00. Both units are capable of charging 4 batteries at the same time or 1 battery 4 times in the field and much lighter then carrying all that equipment around especially a 12 volt lead acid or gel battery and inverter.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info Kirk. Looks like you could charge 4 P4P batteries per day with the larger kit. Unfortunately those panels don't look too portable.

I'm planning a trip across the Pacific late this year, and am hoping to visit a couple smoking volcanoes (among other things) that includes a couple days of hiking through dense rainforest with "paths" that are virtually invisible and often suspended on several feet of decayed underbrush--so having your foot fall through (what appears to be solid ground) suddenly up to your crotch makes the hiking a little more challenging--something my heavier frame tends to do, when my lighter friends walk unfettered in front of me. I'll be away from any power sources for days at a time; though there are some villages that have made their own hydraulic power supply, by welding steel plates on wheel hubs in mountain streams--with a generator running power through some large capacitors and 240V 50Hz voltage regulators that they salvaged from abandoned mining equipment from a mine that was shut down suddenly almost 30 years ago. But, I digress.

I suppose my only option is to take a boat load (by plane) of batteries with me--or find some decent flexible solar panels I can roll up. I've seen the latter sold for charging cell phones... but they don't have the power needed for charging Phantom batteries. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks for the info Kirk. Looks like you could charge 4 P4P batteries per day with the larger kit. Unfortunately those panels don't look too portable.

I'm planning a trip across the Pacific late this year, and am hoping to visit a couple smoking volcanoes (among other things) that includes a couple days of hiking through dense rainforest with "paths" that are virtually invisible and often suspended on several feet of decayed underbrush--so having your foot fall through (what appears to be solid ground) suddenly up to your crotch makes the hiking a little more challenging--something my heavier frame tends to do, when my lighter friends walk unfettered in front of me. I'll be away from any power sources for days at a time; though there are some villages that have made their own hydraulic power supply, by welding steel plates on wheel hubs in mountain streams--with a generator running power through some large capacitors and 240V 50Hz voltage regulators that they salvaged from abandoned mining equipment from a mine that was shut down suddenly almost 30 years ago. But, I digress.

I suppose my only option is to take a boat load (by plane) of batteries with me--or find some decent flexible solar panels I can roll up. I've seen the latter sold for charging cell phones... but they don't have the power needed for charging Phantom batteries. Anyone have any good ideas?
Now THAT was a digression and a half- understandably, sounds like an awesome trip ahead. Solar panels probably aren't your solution, you will need need a voltage regulator and battery also. Voltage output varies with available sunlight and you would need quite a large panel. Extra batteries would seem the best solution in your circumstances.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Good luck with your system out in the field Kirk as you should realize that solar cells are only used to trickle charge the battery.

This whole thread has been hijacked since the OP had a question regrading Energen P40/A40 Power Banks only.

I took the time to call Energen today and here's the answer to his question. The P40 power bank will be available in about a month at $450 which will charge the batteries of the P3 and P4. Now the A40 has a switch from 3s to 4s batteries so it will charge the P2 3s batteries as well all the other quadcopters listed in the vdieo. The A40 will be available in about 3 months at a cost of $550.00. Both units are capable of charging 4 batteries at the same time or 1 battery 4 times in the field and much lighter then carrying all that equipment around especially a 12 volt lead acid or gel battery and inverter.

You are ASSUMING I am charging batteries in the field
you also did not answer my question
thanks for the info on the power banks.

I simply posted info for users to use.
sorry you misunderstood !
take care
and enjoy being the smartest man in the room!

I have to disagree about power supply front end (AC side) not being an issue. Often the input AC is turned into high voltage DC using a rectifier and capacitor(s). Problem is that manufacturers cut corners and have marginal tolerance on the capacitor voltage rating. I had to replace caps on my Samsung TV that were probably underrated when you consider a safety margin.

You can't necessarily calculate wattage of a device based on input voltages and amp draw. The amp rating is peak current not nominal/average current. The power supply will not be constantly drawing 1.8A while it is charging a battery.

I have to disagree about power supply front end (AC side) not being an issue. Often the input AC is turned into high voltage DC using a rectifier and capacitor(s). Problem is that manufacturers cut corners and have marginal tolerance on the capacitor voltage rating. I had to replace caps on my Samsung TV that were probably underrated when you consider a safety margin.

You can't necessarily calculate wattage of a device based on input voltages and amp draw. The amp rating is peak current not nominal/average current. The power supply will not be constantly drawing 1.8A while it is charging a battery.
I sighted the filter caps (particularly those close to the input) as the most likley weak point. It's funny you mention the samsung Telly, i replaced caps in mine also after 6 months. I am reading 250+ V on the supply frequently though (I'm close to the substation.

I have had electrolytic capacitors fail in TV's, radios, air conditioners and even in lawn mowers and not because manufactures were cutting corners.

definitely not portable as in carry!
but when camping or visiting remote area with transport it is very easy.

Today I tested this setup with my P3p charger and battery at 40%:

1- 50 watt panel
2- 35 ah batteries fully charged , fits in small milk crate BTW
sun out and is charging charging the solar batteries from 2.8 A to 3.3 A

I start the p3p charger and immediately I can see in the solar controller the draw down in current from solar batery.
at first 15 to 30 minutes it took some power from battery to supplement live solar power charge.
after the 3 bars were flashing you can see the Draw from the solar battery is almost done and the live power is not charging the solar battery and running the P3p charger.
by the time the p3p battery is done charging the solar batteries were also at %100

In summary I charged a p3p battery with this setup, started with %100 solar battery and finished the p3p charge with %100 charge still in the solar batteries.
Ill let you figure out how many at that rate you can do on a sunny day.

good luck and have fun flying!

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Harborfreight has this for a great price. Plus use the 20% off coupon. Works out to $71.99 plus tax

e6620da67968992a24fe149f7e1f4761.jpg
b95b179c0c495785cb4f7658d8bd1907.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what I use. Has a place to plug-in a standard cell phone USB to mini wire,
Charger.png
with a (with lighter adapter) which will plug into you Phantom.

"Does anyone have something they use to charge while out of the car?"

The only way to find out what the Dronemax P40 cost is to call them (energen 1- 626-581-2200).

We've been very happy with DroneMax's whole product line. They make an extremely high quality product, from their product design to even their packaging, they do it well.

Most of our experience has been with their new M10 for Mavic,

We carry both their A40 version for 3 and 4 cell batteries (Phantom 3 and Phantom 4) and also the new M10 designed solely for Mavic.

dronemax-a40-png.18593

DroneMax A40 Portable Charging Station for Phantom
DroneMax M10 Portable Charging Station for Mavic

This is the M10...

dronemax-m10-1-jpg.18595

Happy to help with any questions pertaining to Energen or DroneMax.

Safe flying! :cool:

I'm looking for a way to charge my batteries while out flying. I'm not talking about a car charger, but a portable power bank. I saw one by Energen, called the Dronemax P40, but I can't find it for sale or even a price for it.

Does anyone have something they use to charge while out of the car?

Thanks.
I did see recently the DroneMax line of products at DroneNerds.com, BHPhoto, Adorama and Myenergen.com. I think Myenergen.com is its home website. Model specifically for the Mavic, another model for Phantom 3 and 4. And another one that's more universal.

Just checked their website myenergen.com, the P40 is $399. For charging Phantom 3 and 4 batteries. Charge multiple batteries simultaneously. There is the A40 version that was mentioned which charges the Phantom 3, 4 and Mavic and Yuneec drones if you care about those.

Just checked their website myenergen.com, the P40 is $399. For charging Phantom 3 and 4 batteries. Charge multiple batteries simultaneously. There is the A40 version that was mentioned which charges the Phantom 3, 4 and Mavic and Yuneec drones if you care about those.

Still too much for me. Great concept though.

Reactions: Advexure

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello