Charging in the field...

I'm confused... why doesn't the car charger work for you?

I would like a way to charge multiple batteries at the same time. I already have a car charger, but my car needs to be running to use it. With a portable power supply, I could charge batteries while I'm flying and away from my car.

It partially depends on whether the inverter is up to the task, I don't see a 12v socket on it. At $170, I think you have to weigh if it makes more sense to just get more batteries.

It wouldn't need a 12v socket, it has a 110 plug so I could use my regular charge cord with it.

Think you are missing that the inverter needs to plug into an unspecified power source, an inverter is not a source of power generally, it simply converts DC to AC.., so not solving OP question

If we look at the worst case (lowest efficiency solution) being an inverter powering the DJI charging brick (reasonable assumption being that both operate at around 95% efficiency) and allow for charging a P3 battery from 20% to full (85% efficiency) we need 70wh from the power source for every charge. A LiFePO4 battery (4 cells) of 20Ah capacity could comfortably provide 3 charges (not much over that) and would weigh 2kg.

Buying extra DJI batteries would seem the most practing and cost effective solution.

Reactions: Loz
Think you are missing that the inverter needs to plug into an unspecified power source, an inverter is not a source of power generally, it simply converts DC to AC.., so not solving OP question

Ah... got it. I was taking "in the field" to mean away from a 120v power source, not away from all source of power. Thanks.

By "not car charger" I took it to mean "not the DJI 12v charger", but an alternative.

I'll go back to sleep now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarleyKen
Does anyone have something they use to charge while out of the car?
Thanks.

Nope, good question, I carry spare batteries in my backpack (total of 7 ) where weight is an issue (i.e. you are carrying them), for me this is best solution. Have wondered about solar solution if one was on an extended camping / off grid trip, but not had to solve this yet.

Last edited:
I have three batteries which is normally enough but when I'm out and about my go to charging solution is simply a 12v inverter.

I think it cost me £10 from one of those phone shack stores that also sell phone cases etc..

15f9ca21706751ad842821561beb80ba.jpg
774e33270a32be09cd49701929496d48.jpg

Reactions: Matchlock
I realize this doesn't apply to the original post but I this is an issue I'm interested in too. I have been using an inverter but have had a series of problems, first from an inverter that just stopped working and then with one that doesn't seem compatible with the smart batteries; they seem to turn on and off every 30 seconds or so without actually charging. I finally bought one of these: Amazon.com: Anbee Car Charger Adapter for DJI Phantom 4 Pro Quadcopter Battery & Remote Controller: Toys & Games
and on first test it seems to work fine. I don't see any reason to add the intermediate step of an inverter.

For field charging, how about this deep cycle 12 V Duracell at 9 lbs and $50? WKDC12-14NB - Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle AGM SLA Battery 12V 14AH - Nut & Bolt Terminal at Batteries Plus Bulbs

Well I already have a charger so rather than spend £60 on exactly the same thing but where the plug used to be it's a cigarette lighter seems a bit stupid when I could get the inverter pictured for less than half the cost.

I realize this doesn't apply to the original post but I this is an issue I'm interested in too. I have been using an inverter but have had a series of problems, first from an inverter that just stopped working and then with one that doesn't seem compatible with the smart batteries; they seem to turn on and off every 30 seconds or so without actually charging. I finally bought one of these: Amazon.com: Anbee Car Charger Adapter for DJI Phantom 4 Pro Quadcopter Battery & Remote Controller: Toys & Games
and on first test it seems to work fine. I don't see any reason to add the intermediate step of an inverter.

For field charging, how about this deep cycle 12 V Duracell at 9 lbs and $50? WKDC12-14NB - Duracell Ultra Deep Cycle AGM SLA Battery 12V 14AH - Nut & Bolt Terminal at Batteries Plus Bulbs
I gave an example of a LiFePO4 battery above where you get a genuine 20Ah in a 2kg package and you could charge 3 batteries from 20% to full. Lugging an extra 7kg around to be lucky to get 2 charges makes even less sense. If you don't have to carry it far SLA's are fine.

Not sure if it's been said yet but you could do a 12v jumper box. They usually have a cig lighter port and are semi portable

Also if you're going to do an inverter, pay a little more and get a pure sine wave inverter. Much cleaner power than a cheapy one and more directed for sensitive electronics.

Also if you're going to do an inverter, pay a little more and get a pure sine wave inverter. Much cleaner power than a cheapy one and more directed for sensitive electronics.
I wouldn't call the DJI power brick sensitive electronics, it's almost certainly a switch mode design- the input is rectified to DC at the input, modified square wave will not be an issue.

Reactions: umneycreep
If you have a Prius, you can hook up an inverter to the 12v battery in the hatch and leave the car on, climate control and accessories all off and charge your batteries fairly efficiently. Engine runs only occasionally. Problem is, no way to lock the car from the outside, even with the mechanical "emergency" key.

I wouldn't call the DJI power brick sensitive electronics, it's almost certainly a switch mode design- the input is rectified to DC at the input, modified square wave will not be an issue.
Why take the risk? At 100 bucks a pop per battery id personally rather spend a little bit more for cleaner power just to be on the safe side. Square wave = more distortion = less efficiency = shorter life. Plus if you're going to buy an inverter, might as well buy one you can use for many purposes. Buy once cry once.

To each his own I guess

Reactions: Laar

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl