Charging in car with inverter

For the OP

First... you have a doppelganger resemblance to my brother. Very freaky :eek:

I have the opposite problem, I can charge when driving, but not while off (at least with 3 batts at once :) )

You need a very good inverter to charge Phantom batts in the car. You probably should not do it from the cig lighter, but from a hard wired connection. I have been doing it from the cig lighter. But after just blowing a fuse while still letting lots of magic blue smoke out of the inverter... no more.

I just bought an inverter that I can hard wire for Phantom batts. It also has a swapable cig lighter adapter that I can use on road trips for the laptop etc. I haven't tested it yet, but it is a quality brand. When I do, I'll post good, bad, or, ugly
So, what brand/model did you just get?

Reactions: RodPad
So, what brand/model did you just get?

I bought a Schumacher 410 watt from Lowes. They make car batt chargers of good quality that I have used for years. So hopefully a good choice

This is my charging set up. The old inverter is in the ammo can, but the new one will fit just the same. I can charge 3 batts and the RC on the go or at home

Attachments

• 20161115_120236.jpg
    20161115_120236.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 267
Just get a dji dedicated 12v charger or a pure sin wave inverter. Check the temperature of your dji 120v to dc charger when using a modified sin wave inverter (cheapo) and you will find that the charger runs extremely hot, the same happens with any laptop or cell charger. The cheapo's will work for some time but you are causing premature wear on your charging equipment. You have spent lot's of money on batteries, don't cheap out on the charging system.

Just get a dji dedicated 12v charger or a pure sin wave inverter. Check the temperature of your dji 120v to dc charger when using a modified sin wave inverter (cheapo) and you will find that the charger runs extremely hot, the same happens with any laptop or cell charger. The cheapo's will work for some time but you are causing premature wear on your charging equipment. You have spent lot's of money on batteries, don't cheap out on the charging system.

Thank you ..... I agree with that ....

Cheers
Nigel

My 2015 chevy 3500HD works!

I knew there had to be some reason to buy a Chevy !!!

Just joking with you ....

Nigel

OP here, Wow! That sure generated some conversation. Thanks for all of the great input. Putting the headlights on didn't make a difference, but by trying that, I discovered the solution!

My vehicle is a 2013 F150. It appears it is charging while the truck is running now. However, it takes 30-60 seconds to start. I wasn't giving it that time the first time I tried. I think I'm good to go.

Alternators do not kick in straight away when you start an engine. They have exciter leads that carry 12v from the battery. When you start the engine - the alternator starts to spin, but it needs to be excited by that 12v, which then alternator once producing - gives a 12v in reverse direction bringing that lead to effectively zero.
It is also that the engine needs to speed up a little from idle to spin the alternator faster .... especially if car has stood for length of time and residual has decayed in the windings.

Get a boat and you soon have to start learning all this stuff !

Nigel

You do seem very knowledgeable. Thanks for your help. What threw me off is that the inverter power light was on immediately in all situations. Also, my camera battery would charge immediately.

Sorry ... my post about exciting alternators was not actually for that delay you mentioned - more for general knowledge.

The delay you experienced is more likely due to the step-up/down the two units, inverter and charger have to do .... its actually a very wasteful way of working.
I would advise get a direct DC to DC charger unit .... eBay has them for just a few $ ....

Nigel

My other hobby is full size yachts .... I have 4 in my own private moorings at back of my house....
You have to learn a lot about this sort of stuff as who will fix it when offshore ?

I also run many items such as GPS / computers / radios etc. on them.

Nigel

Changed My Life.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod and RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1