Charging in car with inverter

Not yet but having studied all the data / info - cannot see why it won't work. The Lipo programable chargers have far more safety built in than a pure power brick that DJI give you.

As long as the lipo charger has HV Lipo and you connect in simple charge mode 4S HV - it will work and double safety as not only will the intelligent battery stop charge when full - but so will the charger.

Once I get home - I will be doing a video showing my understanding of battery charging for the P3S.
Basically idea being to dispel some of the old-wives tales seen at times !

Nigel

Not yet but having studied all the data / info - cannot see why it won't work. The Lipo programable chargers have far more safety built in than a pure power brick that DJI give you.

As long as the lipo charger has HV Lipo and you connect in simple charge mode 4S HV - it will work and double safety as not only will the intelligent battery stop charge when full - but so will the charger.
I suspect the LiPO charger will be too smart for the job. It won't be able to see the series connected cells past the charge circuit in the battery. It may not even start when the load doesn't appear as expected.

That only applies if you need balance lead connected which monitors individual cells. If you select Charge only mode - the only connection is main charge lead which is a two wire item. It only needs to see total voltage which must be possible as same battery terminals power the model.
HV mode 4S on the lipo charger is 17.4v same as DJI brick.

If you go to online RC shops and of course eBay - you will see many DJI adaptor leads sold specifically for the duty I describe.

I did initially when first considering using a lipo charger think the circuitry of the battery board may interfere - but I have received various info from people using lipo chargers for their DJI battery's and also by studying the power in / out of them.

Like I said - I will be making a video showing all the methods I have to charge a DJI battery. Currently :

a) DJI supplied dumb power brick
b) SkyRC Professional LiPo charger
c) Accucel Programmable LiPo charger
d) Car charger direct designed for DJI battery's
e) DC to AC inverter to DJI power brick

If I find others I have - I will include those as well, maybe even add Transmitter controller charging as well.

Its going to be a while before then though, I have a lot of Fuel to blend here in East Russia for shipping to US receivers before I get back home.

Nigel

Thanks for all of the quick replies.

I knew the voltage would fluctuate, but assumed the job of the inverter was to keep the output level. But, you are correct, this is an $11 inverter...probably too much to expect.

I will try with the headlights on. If I don't find success, the inverter is still valuable for my other devices. I'll get one of the ebay chargers. I was reluctant, as I didn't know the track record of them. Are they generally accepted by the forum community?
Hey guy, I was just reading this post, thinking this is really odd, I got to figure this one out. This problem is backwards truck on / truck off. I was thinking you need to check the voltage of your truck, engine on / engine off. Then @Nigel, jumped on the voltage being to high for the inverter. Then you replied with a $11.00 inverter, Duh, no offense ;).

Anyways I had a Triplite inverter 300 watt for about 12 years, didn't use it much until I got a Phantom. I fought what would be the normal, charging while engine is off.

Well, How figured out my problem is along story. But what was actually the problem, should be shared. My 07 Yukon has 2 outlets on the dash, 1 outlet inside the console (Hum I use it, but charging some thing in closed box:rolleyes:). 1 outlet on the rear of the console for rear passengers, and a outlet in the rear just inside the powered back door. Three different fused circuits, 5 outlets.

Problem, inverter with any kind of charger (charging), would squeal, start the rig, inverter would drop out. Reset the inverter every time you start the rig :rolleyes:.
Do you know how long it takes to charge a Phantom battery when your driving around on dirt roads stopping and getting out to see if you want to fly there. Maybe, maybe the time you get home. :rolleyes:

Fix, tapped in the wires that power the motor for the rear door, installed a cig lighter plate with two usb jacks, works like it should. Now I have 6 outlets, and 1 works like it should. :D
Note, the tip on the cig lighter of the inverter doesn't get hot anymore. Poor quality cig sockets that GM is or was using? The wiring size is probably fine.

Couple of pics, I now have the inverter Velcro-ed on ledge that is at the base of the window.
Standard - On the go charging

@tragusa3
I would be curious what your high voltage is on your truck, probably fine, but you could be cooking your car Battery. Update us on your fix.

Rod

Welcome to the forum!
Stay away from trees, they don't move out of the way, the usually win the battle. ;)

The reason items kick out when starting engine - is the voltage drop caused by the starter motor high drain. This is a normal occurrence.
You can avoid this by fitting a capacitor of suitable load if really needed.

Nigel

I use a BESTEK 300W inverter in my car, it has 2 120v outlets and 2 2.4 amp usb ports, its the size of two packs of cigarettes stacked on top of each other. works great, about 30 bucks on amazon.

I use a BESTEK 300W inverter in my car, it has 2 120v outlets and 2 2.4 amp usb ports, its the size of two packs of cigarettes stacked on top of each other. works great, about 30 bucks on amazon.

I see you already got a couple of welcomes!

You have already impressed me. :)

Thanks for information on a working Inventor, we need more of that, and less of the negatives!

Rod

Reactions: dougsteph
Less negatives ? If people do not give the bad news then how would people know what to do ?

I have provided info based on years of boating and recreational vehicle use. Avenues that have a vast amount of experience in use if inverters and '12v' gear.

Nigel

Less negatives ? If people do not give the bad news then how would people know what to do ?

I have provided info based on years of boating and recreational vehicle use. Avenues that have a vast amount of experience in use if inverters and '12v' gear.

Nigel

Wow, are you upset because I gave the new guy a like and not you?

You hit that right on the dot.:eek: You scored #1 ;)

#1, Arguing and bickering over nothing!

#2, Giving people wrong information, like, Example only,
I would never use prop guards the are worthless. Instead of I don't use Prop guards because it tends to float in the wind, doesn't fit in my case, doesn't fly as fast, etc.

#3, Giving no help, short sentence arrogance. Example only, I update my firmware and now I can't do what ever. That's why I never do a firmware update. Instead of I don't do firmware updates anymore, look at these links or try this.

#4, Always posting this doesn't work, and never following or trying what the poster is asking the OP to try.

#5, Bickering and arguing about nothing that has anything to do with the subject that OP started.
Yes, what we are doing right now.
Yes, I have more.

I'm done

Sorry, I didn't realize I replied to you.

Rod

RodPad - what is that rubbish ?

I don't care about "likes" - my care is to help by informing where I consider where appropriate.

I'm not upset and rest of your post - where did I ever post that rubbish ?

Nigel

This is really, really simple and I am amazed at all of the overthinking on this. The inverter power light is on "in all conditions" which means it has, or is, supplying power to the receptacle. Or should be. And is because everything else charges, truck on or off. Didn't read the whole thread. Who in the hell suggested the headlights had to be on? LMAO! That is old school and only for a vehicle charging system that the regulator has burned out and sending too much power to the battery. In simple terms anyway. Todays vehicles it is so incredibly unlikely that only the charger won't light up, but everything else is fine.

First off, you want the best rated inverter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001539B7O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Costs a few dollars more but it is so worth it. I have this one and use my printer and sometimes a heating pad and no problem. It is a fan-less system so the fan doesn't add to the battery drain.

Second off, it is not going to charge much unless you are driving an hour away. A 10 minute drive won't charge a battery enough. And you only want to take off with a fully charged battery. What you need is to stop worrying about charging while driving and just buy another battery or two. 3 batteries is the ideal starting point.

But yeah, only charging when the truck is off but not on I don't believe is accurate, based solely on the fact I know how a vehicles 12volt cigarette lighter socket works. Either it is on all the time, or off when the vehicle is shut down. It has been stated everything else works at all times. That leaves the charger as possibly being what is faulty.

Did the OP ever say what kind of vehicle he is using that displays this erratic behavior? Not that it really matters, but possibly could shed light on the subject...POSSIBLY.

Get a better inverter like I linked to and go from there. Mine's been going strong for 3 years used in a commercial environment daily. Good luck.

Reactions: RodPad
My truck came from the factory with a 120VAC outlet. I wonder if that is a good enough power source for charging. I'll have to give it a try.

This is really, really simple and I am amazed at all of the overthinking on this. The inverter power light is on "in all conditions" which means it has, or is, supplying power to the receptacle. Or should be. And is because everything else charges, truck on or off. Didn't read the whole thread. Who in the hell suggested the headlights had to be on? LMAO! That is old school and only for a vehicle charging system that the regulator has burned out and sending too much power to the battery. In simple terms anyway. Todays vehicles it is so incredibly unlikely that only the charger won't light up, but everything else is fine.

First off, you want the best rated inverter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001539B7O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Costs a few dollars more but it is so worth it. I have this one and use my printer and sometimes a heating pad and no problem. It is a fan-less system so the fan doesn't add to the battery drain.

Second off, it is not going to charge much unless you are driving an hour away. A 10 minute drive won't charge a battery enough. And you only want to take off with a fully charged battery. What you need is to stop worrying about charging while driving and just buy another battery or two. 3 batteries is the ideal starting point.

But yeah, only charging when the truck is off but not on I don't believe is accurate, based solely on the fact I know how a vehicles 12volt cigarette lighter socket works. Either it is on all the time, or off when the vehicle is shut down. It has been stated everything else works at all times. That leaves the charger as possibly being what is faulty.

Did the OP ever say what kind of vehicle he is using that displays this erratic behavior? Not that it really matters, but possibly could shed light on the subject...POSSIBLY.

Get a better inverter like I linked to and go from there. Mine's been going strong for 3 years used in a commercial environment daily. Good luck.

"Didn't read the whole thread. Who in the **** suggested the headlights had to be on? LMAO!"
"Did the OP ever say what kind of vehicle he is using that displays this erratic behavior?"
"Get a better inverter like I linked to and go from there"

Squirrel!, read the whole thread ;)
and,
Be careful around those HV lines, There is magnetic fields and static electricity up there. :eek: :rolleyes:

Rod :)

Squirrel - appreciate your post but let's correct some things ----

Engine on - voltage available can be up to 14.7v, based on alternator is now supplying power.
Engine off - voltage is now based on battery alone and usually around 12.5 - 12.8v

'12v' sockets are not all dead when ignition key is out. Volvo XC's for example have a 12v cigarette lighter socket in rear cargo space that is live all time. Many cars now have 'live' sockets in the boot or cargo space .... trucks have 12 and 24v .... the list goes on.

Second there are basically two inverter types sold over counter - Modified Sine Wave and Pure Sine Wave. MSW is the one that often will not work with sensitive equipment. Its the campers cheap unit.

Lights on is not just for old vehicles in fact - you can laugh all you like - but it can help at times when engine running as its to even out the demand on the alternator.

Having set up various boats and caravans of mine as well as installing systems in my own company vehicles for onsite power etc. I have gained a lot of knowledge of use over many years. I don't know all the answers - but the above is fact.

Nigel

W.T.F.jpg

Having left Kindergarten behind many years ago, my kids of an age that Sesame Street was after theirs ....

Squirrel ? The relevance please or are you just upset that I do not agree with you ?

Nigel

Nigel, I believe it is you who are upset that I do not agree with you. The reason for the meme is because what you are saying is ridiculous. It all boils down to this:

Last edited:
For the OP

First... you have a doppelganger resemblance to my brother. Very freaky :eek:

I have the opposite problem, I can charge when driving, but not while off (at least with 3 batts at once :) )

You need a very good inverter to charge Phantom batts in the car. You probably should not do it from the cig lighter, but from a hard wired connection. I have been doing it from the cig lighter. But after just blowing a fuse while still letting lots of magic blue smoke out of the inverter... no more.

I just bought an inverter that I can hard wire for Phantom batts. It also has a swapable cig lighter adapter that I can use on road trips for the laptop etc. I haven't tested it yet, but it is a quality brand. When I do, I'll post good, bad, or, ugly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20