Charging Batteries in the Car

ryantrax

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
I was doing a big job last weekend that required more flight time than my 3 battery packs would allow and needed a way to charge in the car. I tried purchasing a power inverter for charging the batteries using my standard wall charger, but for some reason it wouldn't work, even though it was a pretty decent one. Has anyone else had this issue? I ran across DJI's Car Charger, it looks really nice but $85 seems a little steep to me. How do you guys charge on the go?

I bought one from Amazon and it works perfectly. It even charger little quicker than original one. Just search for smatree

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

I bought one from Amazon and it works perfectly. It even charger little quicker than original one. Just search for smatree

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
Did you get the 1 port or the 3 port?

I was doing a big job last weekend that required more flight time than my 3 battery packs would allow and needed a way to charge in the car. I tried purchasing a power inverter for charging the batteries using my standard wall charger, but for some reason it wouldn't work, even though it was a pretty decent one. Has anyone else had this issue? I ran across DJI's Car Charger, it looks really nice but $85 seems a little steep to me. How do you guys charge on the go?
This one seems to be priced high. Look on Amazon for Anbee or Smatree brand

I found 2 versions:
Smatree 1 Port
Smatree 3 Port

I'm wondering if the 3 port charges simultaneously or if it charges the 1st completely then the 2nd and so on.

3 port version is not car charger.

Search on Amazon for Anbee DJI Phantom 3 car (or thereabouts) for about $15. It just works. Inverters seem to be hit or miss and waste of money.

Are you talking at 1 port charger?

1 port charger shown is a DC to DC converter and should have quite high efficiency. I can guess as 90%

3port charger shown above could have 60% efficiency.

Are you talking at 1 port charger?

1 port charger shown is a DC to DC converter and should have quite high efficiency. I can guess as 90%

3port charger shown above could have 60% efficiency.
Yes I was asking about the 1 port. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Do you think it will be future proof? The way DJI keeps monopolizing the battery sector with firmware updates I wonder if they will be able to somehow detect non OEM chargers. I guess if they do I'm only out $28. Thanks again.

This one would be good for P3 and P4, can't say about future generations :)

I have had several jobs that require lots of batts.

I have this inverter
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-PV...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It will always charge with the DJI charger.

I have this triple charger
Amazon.com: E-accexpert Multi Battery and Remote Control Charger 4 in 1 Parallel Charger Board for DJI Phantom 3: Toys & Games

If all batteries are low, I need to have the truck running to charge all 3 P3 batts at the same time. If I add batts as I fly them (after they cool) so they are all not all drawing max amps, it will sometimes charge all 3 batts while the truck is off. It just depends on the amp draw... I guess. But I can always charge all 3 batts while idling or driving.

I bought the 3 batt charger after the inverter. (originally using the inverter with the DJI charger) If I was doing it again, I would probably buy a bigger inverter with alligator clips. But one day I am going to build an alligator clamp connection for this inverter. Then I'll hook direct to the truck batt, to see if it will charge 3 low P3 batts while the engine is off. That way hopefully I have a choice to charge on-site while everything is off, or charge while I drive to the next gig

I have one of these.
PowerDrive 300 Watt Direct Plug Power Inverter Car / Truck Power Inverter PD300

You can direct wire it or plug it in to a lighter plug. Works just fine. I can charger two batteries at a time - or one battery and the RC.

CAUTION: This is NOT for recently depleted batteries [aka, warm or hot]. I have four batteries and always keep at least two in the case until I REALLY need them, I always let batteries cool at least two hours before charging - even on the road.

Yes I was asking about the 1 port. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Do you think it will be future proof? The way DJI keeps monopolizing the battery sector with firmware updates I wonder if they will be able to somehow detect non OEM chargers. I guess if they do I'm only out $28. Thanks again.
They could never detect a aftermarket charger. Their chargers are dumb, all they do is supply a voltage at a constant current. So that is all any charger needs to do to charge these batts :)

I'm making my own chargers from power supplies. Should be handy for the car and nice to have multiple for home charging

They could never detect a aftermarket charger. Their chargers are dumb, all they do is supply a voltage at a constant current. So that is all any charger needs to do to charge these batts :)

I'm making my own chargers from power supplies. Should be handy for the car and nice to have multiple for home charging
Old PC power supplies? Cool! You should post a how to with some pics! How to you regulate the voltage and adapt for car use?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.