changing to mode 4

Reaction score
The only software option other than mode 2, that's through the DJI 'RC' Assistant (for the Transmitter) and is Mode 1 with:

Yaw and Pitch on the left stick
Roll and Throttle on the right stick

This is the correct control mix for you .... but unfortunately on the exact opposite sticks for Mode 4.

However ..... if you 'did' use Mode 1 through the RC Assistant software, then you 'could' just open up the Transmitter and swap the entire control gimbals, giving you Mode 4.
You also 'might' very well only need to swap the gimbal plugs on the board, and although I do believe that will work, I'm not 100% positive about it.

Neither of these are really difficult to do, and if you feel uncomfortable trying I'm sure any competent shop that does repairs to RC equipment could dial you in.

Flyer91 said:
The only software option other than mode 2, that's through the DJI 'RC' Assistant (for the Transmitter) and is Mode 1 with:

This is the correct control mix for you .... but unfortunately on the exact opposite sticks for Mode 4.

However ..... if you 'did' use Mode 1 through the RC Assistant software, then you 'could' just open up the Transmitter and swap the entire control gimbals, giving you Mode 4.
You also 'might' very well only need to swap the gimbal plugs on the board, and although I do believe that will work, but I'm not positive about it.

Neither of these are really difficult to do, and if you feel uncomfortable trying I'm sure any competent shop that does repairs to RC equipment could dial you in.

1st, thank you for replying.
your way sounds way easier than all the stuff in that video. but do you think the video modification would work. Mode 4 is what I'm use to. and every shooter game for xbox and playstations uses Mode 4 (head turn on right stick, strafe on left stick). I changed my ladybird to mode 2 and i've been practicing but it's just easier AND SAFER the other way for me. I had never flown mode 2 until the day i ordered my phantom+

neoneo said:
Flyer91 said:

You also 'might' very well only need to swap the gimbal plugs on the board, and although I do believe that will work, but I'm not positive about it.

1st, thank you for replying.
your way sounds way easier than all the stuff in that video. but do you think the video modification would work. Mode 4 is what I'm use to. and every shooter game for xbox and playstations uses Mode 4 (head turn on right stick, strafe on left stick). I changed my ladybird to mode 2 and i've been practicing but it's just easier AND SAFER the other way for me. I had never flown mode 2 until the day i ordered my phantom+

I just watched the viddy, and yes, I agree it will work (he got his mode terminology mixed up in the viddy, but corrected it in the text).

BTW: I've flown helis for a long time and was judging a contest at Bayside RC Club Fremont Ca., for the Century Helicopter/Helicopter World Jamboree one year, when a guy from Japan let me try his Mode 4 heli.

No ...... flipping ....... way!!

I have both an Xbox and PS3, and still ... no .... flippin .... way!!

You guys have those spooky brains that work in ways to keep the free world safe.
Splitting cyclic out to two different sticks on a copter is just too much for me. ;)

But anyway, yeah ....... he confirmed that the plug swap will work, so that's the easiest way to do it.
Mode 1 and the plug swap.

as scary as it seems to mess with a $1300 machine i might do it. I don't know what he means at 44 seconds into the video when he says the lever on the bottom has to be aligned with the potentiometer on the pcb on the other half of the transmitter.
-will they not already be aligned?
-and the thing at the bottom is a + shape. how do i know it's not turned one rotation to the right or left. that's killin me right now.
-the only thing about the transmitter assistant that scares me is the calibration step.
-and the scary part on the assistant software is at 1:18 when he says "don't forget to calibrate the lever on the bottom side of the transmitter. at that point he had already instructed us to screw the controller back together.

do you really think this will work and not effect anything else negatively?

i think i posted the wrong link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKiGiOq1 ... re&index=2

Unless you modified your Tx to have the 'optional' camera tilt lever it isn't even there, just two empty holes in the back of the Tx case ...... so no lever, no + shape on the end of the lever's shaft, no worries of smashing the potentiometer on the board, and since no lever ...no need to calibrate it in the RC Assistant.
All you will need to calibrate in the RC Assistant is the sticks ..... check mode 1, and check FCC.

Once you are done you will also need to connect the Vision to your PC, run the 'Phantom Assistant', and calibrate the sticks again via the Phantom Assistant.
Both the Vision and TX must be turned on to do this.

This is something you should do every so often if the Vision starts to drift off.
You are basically calbrating the Tx sticks with the RC Assistant, and 'then' calibrating those calibrated sticks to the Vision.

Hopefully we will all eventually be able to use the 'optional' lever again for the Plus.
For some reason DJI saw fit to make it non-operational to tilt the camera on the Plus, relying solely on the app ...which many of us really don't like .... and worse! ;)

Flyer91 said:
Unless you modified your Tx to have the 'optional' camera tilt lever it isn't even there, just two empty holes in the back of the Tx case ...... so no lever, no + shape on the end of the lever's shaft, no worries of smashing the potentiometer on the board, and since no lever ...no need to calibrate it in the RC Assistant.
All you will need to calibrate in the RC Assistant is the sticks ..... check mode 1, and check FCC.

Once you are done you will also need to connect the Vision to your PC, run the 'Phantom Assistant', and calibrate the sticks again via the Phantom Assistant.
Both the Vision and TX must be turned on to do this.

This is something you should do every so often if the Vision starts to drift off.
You are basically calbrating the Tx sticks with the RC Assistant, and 'then' calibrating those calibrated sticks to the Vision.

Hopefully we will all eventually be able to use the 'optional' lever again for the Plus.
For some reason DJI saw fit to make it non-operational to tilt the camera on the Plus, relying solely on the app ...which many of us really don't like .... and worse! ;)

yes i agree they need to bring that back. I plan on doing a lot of tilting while making my videos. Thanks for all the info. i'll let you know how it works out. i'm still practicing mode 2 and if i get the hang of it, i'll stick with it. they say that 95% of people use stick mode 2.
I'm just now thinking about it but on the xbox controller forward/backward and left/right movement are on the same stick (left). it's hard to compare them now that i think about it. either way. thank you

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl