Changing camera top board

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Apparently they can go faulty and cause the no image signal I am getting. Been quoted £300 for a new camera but perhaps a board from a crashed one would be a cheaper way to go?

That is probably not your problem. I would test with another tablet or update the firmware. I have not seen a camera board needing replaced.

What model do you have? The P 3 Pro is known for y axis/gimbal board failures. I had a failure on mine that DJI repaired. A search for 'no image transmission' here should produce a lot of information as this is probably the most common reason a P3P goes in for repairs.

Reactions: Wibble
The most common reason would be bad firmware updates messing up the ESCs.

..good thing I said 'probably'. But there is quite a bit of info here to suggest that NIT issues that originate on the aforementioned Y axis/gimbal board are a plenty common complaint.

Wibble- seems to me that you can isolate the board diagnostically by looking at the flight log. If not there perhaps in the data available during upgrade attempts; I can recall being advised to look for data indicating that two items are 'not seen'. Sure enough the unit was not seeing these two items on my P3P. I believe that those two items(ID'd by #) turn out to be the gimbal and camera. This info is here somewhere but it might take some data mining to find it. What model Phantom do you have?

Reactions: Wibble
Has anyone done this? Apparently they can go faulty and cause the no image signal I am getting. Been quoted £300 for a new camera but perhaps a board from a crashed one would be a cheaper way to go?
Yes, the gimbal boards overheat from what has been reported here. I must have seen a dozen or more posts from @hunch warning P3P owners to keep a fan blowing on their AC during FW updates. He's noted that the P3As don't overheat but the P3Ps do and the fan on their gimbal is basically decorative. I've also seen that people have added their own heat sinks inside to try to help dissipate the heat generated by that board.

If you check your LOG_AB file, do modules 8 and 15 show as not detected? It has been noted that is one indicator of what may be a bad gimbal board. Every now and then it could be the OFDM module.

Finding a good gimbal board is probably hit or miss. They are not offered by DJI so as you noted you'd need to get a used one from somebody. Perhaps from @hunch or @Ted4797 if you dont see one in the classifieds.

FYI - Here are the LOG_AB module mappings:
LOG_AB Module Mapping.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Wibble
..good thing I said 'probably'. But there is quite a bit of info here to suggest that NIT issues that originate on the aforementioned Y axis/gimbal board are a plenty common complaint.

Wibble- seems to me that you can isolate the board diagnostically by looking at the flight log. If not there perhaps in the data available during upgrade attempts; I can recall being advised to look for data indicating that two items are 'not seen'. Sure enough the unit was not seeing these two items on my P3P. I believe that those two items(ID'd by #) turn out to be the gimbal and camera. This info is here somewhere but it might take some data mining to find it. What model Phantom do you have?

Funny you mentioned flight logs!
The last 3 or 4 flights didn't generate any logs at all. I was annoyed because one of them was my longest flight ever - over 17,000ft each way stock!
Then on my last flight I started getting poor signal at 10,000 ft but I didn't think much of it as it was a new area. Put the P3P away for a few months as I was moving house - then went to use it and found the problem.
EVERYTHING works fine including the gimbal and I can record videos - just no image transmission.

Yes, the gimbal boards overheat from what has been reported here. I must have seen a dozen or more posts from @hunch warning P3P owners to keep a fan blowing on their AC during FW updates. He's noted that the P3As don't overheat but the P3Ps do and the fan on their gimbal is basically decorative. I've also seen that people have added their own heat sinks inside to try to help dissipate the heat generated by that board.

If you check your LOG_AB file, do modules 8 and 15 show as not detected? It has been noted that is one indicator of what may be a bad gimbal board.

Finding a good gimbal board is probably hit or miss. They are not offered by DJI so as you noted you'd need to get a used one from somebody. Perhaps from @hunch or @Ted4797 if you dont see one in the classifieds.

Oso - followed your links def sounds like the video transmission is broken. I will look for the data in the log file. So annoying the P3P has been awesome. The dealer in the UK are very good so will hopefully sort it out under guarantee but if not I will search for a board.

Nice to see P3 forums still active. Why do I want to change to a P4 when I get a 3 mile range? the new mavic looks wicked though as a backup!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj