Changes Are Coming to the Part 107 Test

Reaction score
Questions are currently being changed and reworded on a regular basis. This means that it will become more and more likely that you'll see questions on the FAA exam that you've never seen before. Know the concepts, however, and it won't matter how they are worded. But the bigger news is the structural change to the FAA exam itself. This will render memorization ineffective as a test prep strategy. The changes are described in this short article.

All that means is that you need to really know the information. No matter how you may phase what is the ceiling of class D airspace the answer will be the same. All Standardize testing go through revisions from time to time to keep the testing current and to keep the tester on their toes. I don't think the SAT is the same as when I took it in 1978.

Reactions: Phoenix One
All that means is that you need to really know the information. No matter how you may phase what is the ceiling of class D airspace the answer will be the same. All Standardize testing go through revisions from time to time to keep the testing current and to keep the tester on their toes. I don't think the SAT is the same as when I took it in 1978.
I agree 100%. The problem in the past has been that too many folks have memorized the questions/answers and used that as their study strategy. With a complete revamp of the testing software, that won't work in the future. But like you said, know the concepts and it won't matter how the question is phrased or which airport on the sectional chart appears in the question.

When I took mine last year, I focused on the sectional charts during my study/prep time. I ordered an study guide that came with the same book with the sectional charts as the test. I was not aware that the book I had would be used in the testing, I just focused on the concepts and numbers. Having the same book, just put me at ease as I would be familiar with the locations. Finding the towers or whatever landmarks is what will throw you if you have a hard time finding it on the chart. The test I took was 70% on sectional chart info, so that has nothing to do with remembering, but more on being able to use the concepts of longitude & latitude.

I have the 107, and have to take the recurrent test. However, with the virus shutting everything down, there is a delay.
I'm not sure I see the point in taking the exam.
Do you all make enough money with your drone work to warrant having the license? I make some money, but not enough.

Reactions: cneedelman
I agree with Ruckert. My 107 license has just expired, and I'm not convinced that my circumstances justify all of the effort and cost to retake another exam.
My Phantom paid for itself a couple of times over, and I have a new Mavic Pro replacing it, so I still look forward to some flying.
I've never flown higher than a couple hundred feet, mostly much lower, all within a couple hundred feet distance away. Do I really need to know a plethora of info in the test? I think not.
The Part 107 test covers so much material that has no bearing whatsoever on my own little flights. I can't think of a single thing in those test that has been useful or helpful. Way overkill, at least for me.
To be thrown into a category that seems to meet the knowledge needs of actual plane pilots strikes me as being silly. and obstructionist by people who early on decided they were fearful of the unknown.
I understand that it can be important to many others of you out there, but for me, I'd rather shut down and stop flying than go through another round of study and testing. Simply not worth it.

I got my 107 simply for the challenge and fun of it. I've never made a dime flying. So I'm not going to get the recurrent at this point, particularly until I see what is coming in terms of the new requirement for hobbyists to pass a test in order to fly.

Reactions: TonkaMayhem
Do you all make enough money with your drone work to warrant having the license? I make some money, but not enough.

Plenty of people make real money with their drone work. But as with most entrepreneurial professions, there will be more failures than successes. It take a special mindset to build a profitable company from nothing. Licensure, or actually "certification" in this case, is only the first step of many. Business success doesn't happen just because you show up. Here's a video that might give you some ideas:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have had some success because I have had an established pro commercial photography business for almost 40 years. Yeah, I'm old.
Starting from scratch without a thorough knowledge of photography and/or video can obviously be much more difficult.

Until there is a practical flight test, all the 'paper testing' in the world is useless. I find when I memorize the questions and the answers 'I learn them'. 'FAA Regs' are nothing more than memorizing the regs. Maybe PSI should actually work on the subject of the test. The idea that a drone pilot would have to learn about runway markings, or radio frequency's at airports, when Drones dont fly at airports and drone pilots are not allowed to radio towers is ludicrous.

Reactions: Nick Mendocino
Until there is a practical flight test, all the 'paper testing' in the world is useless. I find when I memorize the questions and the answers 'I learn them'. 'FAA Regs' are nothing more than memorizing the regs. Maybe PSI should actually work on the subject of the test. The idea that a drone pilot would have to learn about runway markings, or radio frequency's at airports, when Drones dont fly at airports and drone pilots are not allowed to radio towers is ludicrous.

Hi, Skip. Several misconceptions here.

Practical Test - There will be no Practical Test anytime soon. The reason is that Part 107 does not distinguish between heavy-life multi-rotors, small quadcopters, fixed wing airplanes, and even gliders and lighter-than-air. That is, unlike with manned aviation, there are no "categories" of aircraft. Your current certificate lets you fly them all. The only way to do Practical Tests would be to apply category ratings to your Remote Pilot certificate, and that is a ways away.

Memorizing - Here's the misconception. The FAA isn't trying to keep you from memorizing regulations. The memorization they are trying to stop is the memorization of actual questions and answers. They don't, for example, want you to memorize that the answer to a specific load factor question is 2. They want to confirm that you can figure it out yourself from a chart. Which, by the way, is exceedingly easy.

Airport Operations - Your premise that drones don't fly at airports is wrong. At Gold Seal, we frequently do drone video shoots at and near airports. The FAA wants to confirm that you understand the rules and safety guidelines for operations at and around airports. The reason that you are expected to understand the runway numbers marked on the pavement is so that you can monitor manned pilots on the radio. And that'also why the FAA wants you to know how to find appropriate radio frequencies. Pilots will radio their positions based on the runway numbers. If you don't have that knowledge, it prevents you from operating safely near some airports. If your own Part 107 training didn't cover this, it's probably something you should investigate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Recoveryone
example of inspection I did last week
Hillwood Amazon 53a.JPG

Reactions: MTO
Took the test a month after the new PSI test platform at Florida flight Academy St Augustine Airport. Finished in about an hour, going through the test twice. pushed the Completed Test and I said test not completed. Went back and made sure all the questions had answers then pressed the Completed Test button again which took me back to the beginning of the test. The proctor cam in and said don't worry it's completed. She couldn't find the result after searching for several days.. PSI the testing software company was contacted and I took the another two weeks to find my results. Thankfully it was a Pass.

In other forums, a vendor posing a question that is answered by his website or service would be hounded on. Maybe I misunderstood the OP, seemed like an obvious plug for Gold Seal.
I've done my 107 and one recurrent test. My thought is the FAA can do anything it wants, as there is no real enforcement. If you do something that causes damage or infringes on whatever law enforcement decides is an infringement on others' pursuit of happiness, you will be in trouble, 107 or not.
In the end, they have done what Congress forced them to, and the tests can be easily passed without getting the "secret handshake" questions, which was 50% of the recurrent test. You can guess and get 1/2, and pass with 75%, its ridiculous. They love to throw in things like "can you register your drone in two countries?" Like, who stinkin cares? Is one country going to call the other and ask "is this drone known to you?" Its all fictitious.
The much bigger thing I am finding is can you handle irritated people? Can your visual observer double as your body guard?
Some mentally unstable dude approached me on a flight, and just decided to yell, a lot. So maybe there should be a "call the police" button on the RC controllers next to the home button. Just don't call your local AT tower, that will cause the world to explode, and Mars too, and Jupiter.

Hi, jmaeding. The original post did originate with Gold Seal (a forum sponsor), but calling it an obvious "plug" is a bit off base in my opinion. I provided an important article about changes. Of course it comes from Gold Seal, but there was no "buy" message in there. It is simply important information so that people can stay updated with changes.

Question-there was talk a long time ago for there to be an online version of the recurrent test for those who no longer are Part 61 current.
since things are kind of closed down, what are the options (if any) if your cert is expired more than 180 days and you do not have Part 61 currency?

Appreciate helpful replies!

V/R
Joe

Question-there was talk a long time ago for there to be an online version of the recurrent test for those who no longer are Part 61 current.
since things are kind of closed down, what are the options (if any) if your cert is expired more than 180 days and you do not have Part 61 currency?

Appreciate helpful replies!

V/R
Joe
Have you ever been asked to present your certification? I'm asking sincerely.
I have not. I took the 107 and passed solely for access to LAANC. Now, LAANC is available to all. I have no interest in taking the recurrent test. I'll use the $160 for batteries. Maybe it's where I live - Arkansas, but my experience is the general public is interested in drones, though less so these days, and law enforcement has higher priorities. In the end, it's where DJI says you can fly, and carry liability insurance if you fly where you might need it.
The rest is BS

My question is related to a work requirement-it will be required per contract.

so-any info on if there will be an online test for recurrent for non Part 61 folks?

Have you ever been asked to present your certification? I'm asking sincerely.
I'm a land surveyor and I've been asked three different times to see my license. Twice by the police and once by a land owner. It was never an issue. But I'm pretty good at diffusing a potential argument.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31