cf lower shell

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of any manufacturers planning on producing cf or better lower replacement shells for the originals that are cracking ?

Is this a known, common issue? I ask this because I'm quite new to this platform, and haven't heard this is
an issue. Also, I was watching a youtube video earlier today where someone was busy breaking dishes, glasses, etc. with the lower shell of their Phantom...it sure didn't seem fragile.

I've been quite impressed with how sturdy it seems to be, actually but as I said, I'm new to the platform. I'd be surprised if someone other than DJI would be considering making a replacement shell, almost certainly not one that looks like the DJI version. I've got a few years of experience with traditional heli's and there are various body kits made by aftermarket companies for a variety of heli's. The majority of them are cosmetic and not intended to take any abuse, and the few that aren't are fuselage kits for large scale modelling, with price tags to match.

The Phantom case seems to me to be quite well engineered given it's price point. I had a quick look at the Blade quad (350X?) and it's very flimsy in comparison, at least to my eyes ( and fingers)

Gary39 said:
Has anyone heard of any manufacturers planning on producing cf or better lower replacement shells for the originals that are cracking ?

It is indeed frustrating that any serious crash can cause the shell to warp and require replacement.
(I'm on my 2nd replacement shell myself).

But one look at the complexity of the shell makes it very apparent that a CF replacement would require significant labor, probably making it too costly to produce

WReimer said:
Is this a known, common issue? I ask this because I'm quite new to this platform, and haven't heard this is
an issue. Also, I was watching a youtube video earlier today where someone was busy breaking dishes, glasses, etc. with the lower shell of their Phantom...it sure didn't seem fragile.

I've been quite impressed with how sturdy it seems to be, actually but as I said, I'm new to the platform. I'd be surprised if someone other than DJI would be considering making a replacement shell, almost certainly not one that looks like the DJI version. I've got a few years of experience with traditional heli's and there are various body kits made by aftermarket companies for a variety of heli's. The majority of them are cosmetic and not intended to take any abuse, and the few that aren't are fuselage kits for large scale modelling, with price tags to match.

The Phantom case seems to me to be quite well engineered given it's price point. I had a quick look at the Blade quad (350X?) and it's very flimsy in comparison, at least to my eyes ( and fingers)
The problem seems to be showing up in Phantoms that see a lot of use and are flown alot. They are stress cracks that start at the motor mounts and gredaually get worse. Just seems a shame to have to pay $50 for a season or less to replace the whole shell. All that is really needed is the lower shell, why have to buy the whole body. Knowing dji, they will never address the problem, just keep selling replacement shells. I am thinking about putting the Phantom innards in a new platform..

Gizmo3000 said:
Gary39 said:

It is indeed frustrating that any serious crash can cause the shell to warp and require replacement.
(I'm on my 2nd replacement shell myself).

But one look at the complexity of the shell makes it very apparent that a CF replacement would require significant labor, probably making it too costly to produce
Yes, you are probably right. The cracks in mine are stress cracks at the motor mounting point. I have flown it for many hours with no crashes. Seems a shame to have to buy a whole new shell for $50 after only one season. I'm not going to keep replacing shells, I think I'll look at a different arrangement. As far as other man. and comp., look at the Blade, and Walkera. The Chinese are pretty good at taking over designs with no problem.At least they could sell lower and upper shells separately for those that are lost to stress cracks. I'd like to see them modify the mounts so they would'nt crack, maybe a different plastic at that point or a support at that point.

I wonder how a layer of Spectra cloth ling the motor pods would work?
I used to fly fixed wing, and used it on the leading edge of foam core wings to keep them from
blowing up in a hard impact.
For that application I'd usually apply multiple layers at 90 degrees to each other, and secured with
either thin CA or epoxy depending on the size of airplane. It's REALLY tough stuff...I'm thinking if it were
applied to a new shell in exactly equal amounts to maintain common weight and balance, it would be
sufficient to stop/minimize stress cracks...

WReimer said:
I wonder how a layer of Spectra cloth ling the motor pods would work?
I used to fly fixed wing, and used it on the leading edge of foam core wings to keep them from
blowing up in a hard impact.
For that application I'd usually apply multiple layers at 90 degrees to each other, and secured with
either thin CA or epoxy depending on the size of airplane. It's REALLY tough stuff...I'm thinking if it were
applied to a new shell in exactly equal amounts to maintain common weight and balance, it would be
sufficient to stop/minimize stress cracks...
I will look into that, thank you for the input. That is what I am looking for is a good fix, and I understand there are quite a few others looking for the same thing. DJI probably won't even try to come up with a fix, so it's up to people like you to help find a good fix.I should probably go back to my heli's, ( I have 3 450's 2 raptor 50's) gathering dust, but I do like the ease of flying the Phantom,plus I just started in fpv. Too bad I'm 74 and running out of quick ressponse and all that other good stuff. Thanks again.

Actually, being an old tool & diemaker, a couple hours with a die grinder and some polishing sticks, the support problem could be easily fixed in the die at very little cost to the molder. If I could get hold of somebody with any sense at dji, I'd suggest it. But ?? Anyway

Reactions: Stan_in_KS
I hear you..sometimes the "old fashioned way" has distinct benefits to CAD, 3D printers, CNC machines, etc.

You should be able to find Spectra cloth (BTW, Spectra is very similar to Kevlar, just lighter. Used in ballistic armour) in a couple of different weights at a decent sized hobby shop. They will also likely have carbon fibre mat, which is very good as well. I've usually used it with styrofoam safe thin CA glue, so the glue penetrates the fabric thoroughly. You won't need to worry about the styrofoam safe aspect, of course, but to gain the maximum strength you do need to ensure the cloth is fully saturated.

WReimer said:
I hear you..sometimes the "old fashioned way" has distinct benefits to CAD, 3D printers, CNC machines, etc.

You should be able to find Spectra cloth (BTW, Spectra is very similar to Kevlar, just lighter. Used in ballistic armour) in a couple of different weights at a decent sized hobby shop. They will also likely have carbon fibre mat, which is very good as well. I've usually used it with styrofoam safe thin CA glue, so the glue penetrates the fabric thoroughly. You won't need to worry about the styrofoam safe aspect, of course, but to gain the maximum strength you do need to ensure the cloth is fully saturated.
I've been looking at some websites about it. I think it will do the trick if I have enough room. A lot of different sites about it's uses, just have to sort out what's what. I live in the sticks, so hobby shops are at a premium and not too up to date. I'll find a source on the internet and give it a try, I don't know why the engineers ? at dji didn't put a bigger filet in there,around the posts, there is plenty of room. Oh well, thanks again, Gary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik