CE distance queries

Reaction score
Ok so I’m going to ask what might seem like a dumb question but not being an expert I don’t understand and can only learn by asking.

So I’m in the UK and I get the CE restriction and understand the drone code and VLOS etc but I’m baffled by an experience yesterday.

My understanding is that the dbi is reduced so that we can only send out our signal so far before we lose connection to the AC or video. 500m is what we are supposed to fly to with the restriction although sometimes in the right conditions and safe environment you can some times get a little further.

I have a two week old P3se and max distance recorded is 700m but most flights top out at around the 550 to 600 mark all in VLOS.

Biggest frustration is the video signal being lost anything between 10m upwards. Varies to much but is so frustrating as I seem to spend more time in RTH home than getting to enjoy flying.

My brother in law after having a go on mine decided to join the club. He purchased a Mavic Air on Friday.

We went out last night in perfect conditions in the middle of nowhere open fields as far as we can see. I topped out at 600m before RTH triggered but losing video signal a lot , he managed 2500m whilst keeping full video signal and no drop outs.

Controller was always facing the AC with the antenna in the right position before anyone asks.

Both using the most recent firmware and applicable DJI go app and both on iPhones.

So my question is how? We are both subject to the same CE restriction so how is this possible.

Both are out the box with no mods.

I’m feeling pretty gutted to be honest as after spending a decent amount on a product that just seems to be full of bugs all the time and not fit for purpose. Feel like I have been ripped off to be honest.

Anyway rant over and I have probably gone off subject a bit but any insight into the fact that he can go 2500 and I can only get 600 would be appreciated.

Thanks

AFAIK your se uses wifi and the MP uses Occusync.
It's a much better system.
My P3P uses Lightbribge and easily gets 3000m in good conditions.

Ok, so it’s a different way of transmitting the signal and more reliable than WiFi then.

How I wish I could turn back time [emoji23]

Reactions: Phill2
Phantom 3 SE owner here also. Buddy, be glad that you can reach those distances, i have never gotten past 200m without losing connection and triggering RTH, no matter where i fly it. I have been wondering that i would do the FCC mod to my bird but i haven't been brave enough yet cause im scared that i bust my new phantom. :rolleyes:

Phantom 3 SE owner here also. Buddy, be glad that you can reach those distances, i have never gotten past 200m without losing connection and triggering RTH, no matter where i fly it. I have been wondering that i would do the FCC mod to my bird but i haven't been brave enough yet cause im scared that i bust my new phantom. :rolleyes:

That's why I haven't mucked around with mine too.
There's several threads on different ways to do it but too much to go wrong.
Have you tried a parabolic range extender?
You can pick em up on ebay for about 5 bucks.
I don't know how well they work but for the money it might be worth a try.

I tried a parabolic reflector but I’m not convinced it is doing anything and want to get a few more flights in before I can be sure.

Also nervous around the mods at the moment as it’s only a few weeks old and would hate to turn it into a paper weight.

I’m going to try changing to 2.4ghz and see if that makes any difference as have heard this can provide slight improvement in the right location and conditions

I do have a parabolic range extender, but it just arrived yesterday and i have only one flight with it and i didn't notice any difference. I have read that the antenna what is outside of the remote is only for connecting to the phone/tablets wifi and not the phantom it self. There are two hidden antennas inside the remote that connects to the phantom. I ordered the parabolic extender before i read those thing about the SE remote. So i think there is not gonna be any signifigant boost to distances with it, unfotunately.

I hope DJI would let us choose from the GO app that wether we want to fly with CE or FCC so no mods would be required. I use iPhone 6s when i fly and i dont have any android devices at the moment so i even can't do the mod. I'm kinda dissapointed becouse this is my first "big" drone. i've had some small budged ones but when i saw the price of the SE and the specs, 4K and everything, and i have read that the 3 series are robust, i decided to buy one. Now im not so sure.

Reactions: skolsky
The CE vs FCC is a country decision not DJI or any other manufacturer. In order to be able to sell a transmitting device in a country such as our phantom & RCs, they must confirm to countries law, in your case UK, which uses CE not FCC. DJI complies by making their products use local (established by GPS in drone) FCC or CE standards. For this reason DJI doesn’t offer a choice to end user, obviously most everybody would choose the strongest transmission power (FCC) if it was a user choice. Trust this clarifies why..

...understanding is that the dbi is reduced...
...Both AC using CE...

Hi, some good questions, my feedback to a few of your points as requested..

.. actually it’s Transmission power that is different between CE and FCC. dbi is used to measure receiver strength, both affect overall range and signal quality. Aerial mods (on RC usually) attempt to, and many do, improve reception - but remember the system uses TWO way communication, so fixing only one is not necessarily going to be a solution.

.. as you correctly observed, both Mavic and your Phantom operating under CE, yet achieving very different ranges. So obviously the (later and much more sophisticated) technology, not transmission power, is the primary reason.

Trust this helps explain..

Reactions: skolsky
Hi, some good questions, my feedback to a few of your points as requested..

.. actually it’s Transmission power that is different between CE and FCC. dbi is used to measure receiver strength, both affect overall range and signal quality. Aerial mods (on RC usually) attempt to, and many do, improve reception - but remember the system uses TWO way communication, so fixing only one is not necessarily going to be a solution.

.. as you correctly observed, both Mavic and your Phantom operating under CE, yet achieving very different ranges. So obviously the (later and much more sophisticated) technology, not transmission power, is the primary reason.

Trust this helps explain..

Thank you very much for your response.

It has been certainly given me a better understanding of the inner workings which I really appreciate. I’m enjoying the hobby and learning about it all and can’t thank people enough for taking the time out to help.

Have a greater weekend

Reactions: Loz
You feel like you have been ripped off because actually, you have been ripped off by DJI )

I owned the SE "pre-CE ********" and when DJI decided to left their European customers with an expensive piece of crap on their hands I did the FCC "mod" (it just barely consists in using an app that can not identify if you are in CE area, nothing to burn from this) so that I could continue enjoying from my beloved phantom. With the FCC "mod" I was able to go as far as phantom SE is technically supposed to go, 4km in an open area, even the last 1.5km had not the most fluent video signal possible, if to be honest.
In any case, with FCC "mod" you will be able to fly without problems around 2km in any kind of location, if I was you I would think about it, I don't see any sense to spend that money in a drone that can not fly 200 meters away from you with an stable and clear video signal, it is ridiculous, and there are many other (4-5 times cheaper) drones that can do that already.

By the way, somebody answered to you that the mavic uses occusync that is a totally different technology, yes, but that one is the mavic pro, the mavic air, as far as I know uses wifi as the phantom 3 SE.

Reactions: Lugh23
I've also got a Chinese Phantom 3 SE which I got before the official release around the world and have it on APK firmware 3.1.11 as there was a glitch gimbal error warning in 3.1.12 which confused so many of us plus the newer firmware's are making so many android devices redundant that I was too nervous to upgrade especially now seeing the FCC and CE limiters in the new "upgrades". I'm on my 3rd tablet already and am not prepared to spend more on tablets than the quad itself. I've never done a proper range test and have a parabolic range extender but last few times down on a beach I easily got over 500 meters without any problems. I do like to keep it in my line of sight anyway and am a bit nervous of video transmission lag as I use my quad in film making so had a director squashed in next to me looking at the tablet to make sure the shot was right while I was looking at the quad and flying it around trees etc.. a few weeks ago. I heard of those apps that you can use to convince your device that you're in the USA and then clicking on FCC mode in the DJIGO app and not switching it back after your device realises you're suddenly back in Europe but I've no reason to try it. I am I guess more interested in a lag free clear transmission more than range. There are the Argtek and 4Hawks type range extenders which tend to be a bit pricey but if I was starting off I'd invest my money in a mobile device that has good specs like Oneplus and Apple or DJI CrystalSky if I had the money.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj