Catastrophic Crash & Loss of Aircraft

Reaction score
Flying my P3P today over a saltwater marsh, demonstrating the streaming video capability to a couple of neighbors. Drone was at a stationary hover of approx. 180 ft., about 700 ft. away from me. I was yawing the drone slowly counterclockwise when suddenly it experienced some sort of catastrophic failure and plummeted into the creek. It happened so suddenly and unexpectedly I was shocked. I saw a brief "rotor over speed" warning and the video showed the aircraft tumbling out of control. Searched for the aircraft via boat but was unable to recover it. Any idea of what could of occurred? Drone was reliable and had experienced no mechanical or firmware issues. I'm mourning the loss of my drone. It had approx. 10 hours flight time on it.

Flying my P3P today over a saltwater marsh, demonstrating the streaming video capability to a couple of neighbors. Drone was at a stationary hover of approx. 180 ft., about 700 ft. away from me. I was yawing the drone slowly counterclockwise when suddenly it experienced some sort of catastrophic failure and plummeted into the creek. It happened so suddenly and unexpectedly I was shocked. I saw a brief "rotor over speed" warning and the video showed the aircraft tumbling out of control. Searched for the aircraft via boat but was unable to recover it. Any idea of what could of occurred? Drone was reliable and had experienced no mechanical or firmware issues. I'm mourning the loss of my drone. It had approx. 10 hours flight time on it.

Sounds like it lost a prop.

Reactions: flpholt
+2

That's exactly what it sound like :/

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the quick response. Had carbon fiber props installed. Thought they were "self-tightening"? Had checked them prior to flight. Think they could have worked themselves loose? Or prop broke?

you always have to snug the props

Thanks for the quick response. Had carbon fiber props installed. Thought they were "self-tightening"? Had checked them prior to flight. Think they could have worked themselves loose? Or prop broke?

The self-tightening property is somewhat misleading. They are threaded so that under normal load they tend to tighten rather than loosen, but an inadequately tightened prop can still fly off under motor deceleration.

Reactions: flpholt
Sorry for your loss. Can you share the video of you the crash. Maybe it is on the phone/tablet.
It could provide more information.
How large is the creek and did you find the lost prop?

I see a lot of this issue on loss of a prop. It's frustrating that Dji hasn't addressed it. Are the threads on the motors metal? Are the hub threads metal? How tight is tight? How about a special torque wrench?
Sorry for your loss.

That just sucks!!! Sorry for you loss brother. I had the same thing happen to me with my phantom2v since then I try to get then as tight as i can. Just paranoid I guess. Sorry again for your loss

I have tightened them like crazy, I was worried to overtight that plastic thread. And then after first flight I check them and 2 black props were loose ! So we need to check them before EVERY flight. Must be that crazy active braking thing is messing them.

Has anyone ever had the go app change the home point away from the home point. I was flying (new pilot) and hit return to home and didn't realize that the home point had moved to a location about 2 miles from where I was. The the battery went low and it landed. Unfortunately it showed it about 8ft from a pond when i got over there i noticed that the GPS indicator that has always showed where I was actually standing, was moving around and was as far as a 1/2 mile to up to 1 mile from where I was actually standing.The image on the Go app GPS showed where the drone went down. The last picture i have shows it headed for the pond. Any suggestions what may have happened?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl