Cases for Phantom Vision

Not sure if this might help, here's my (first) attempt at a case for my Vision based on the CPC Case.

null_zps8e5a81fc.jpg

It is VERY tight for spacing on the props so for arduous transit I would probably remove the props seeing as they easily screw on and off and self tighten.

For the vision controller I've found you have to remove the holder for iPhone (or other handset) and the WIFI range extender. It's a 10 second job so not exactly a pain.
I've chosen to keep the battery charger and mains lead in there as well so it's all self contained.
Spare props were a last minute addition.

I have some more foam and a new hot wire cutter coming so my next edition might be a little different but this will do until then.

Yep, very tight.
What I did was balance small bits of paper on the ends of all 4 props so when I closed the case very S L O W L Y, I could see if the case lid knocked any off.
I then used some black 3 inch plastic cocktail sticks to 'pin' the props in a safe position by pushing them vertically into the foam.

Found this case at MCM Electronics: Duratool 22-17815 comes with foam inserts, internal size is 21.5 L x 13.75 W x 11 H. It has 1.9 inch more length for props and 3 inch more height than Duratool box being used for original Phantom. Price with 15% off coupon available on internet is $50.99 plus $13.49 UPS shipping. It does not have pressure relief valve but otherwise looks like Duratool 468 used for Phantom.

I ordered that case yesterday, I'll let you know if it measures to stated specs.

Here it is in my Pelican 1560 case. I have the props at an angle. The transmitter is a bit tricky with the Wifi and iPhone holder dongle. I even have a space waiting for an extra battery or two. But 310 bucks for two is STEEP!

Attachments

• vision-in-case.jpg
    vision-in-case.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 3,105
  • vision-in-case-2.jpg
    vision-in-case-2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 3,141
AHill said:
Found this case at MCM Electronics: Duratool 22-17815 comes with foam inserts, internal size is 21.5 L x 13.75 W x 11 H. It has 1.9 inch more length for props and 3 inch more height than Duratool box being used for original Phantom. Price with 15% off coupon available on internet is $50.99 plus $13.49 UPS shipping. It does not have pressure relief valve but otherwise looks like Duratool 468 used for Phantom.

Yeah...it comes with foam, but not PLUCKED foam. Got mine yesterday and the case itself is awesome. The "foam" is three discrete thick pieces. Gonna be a task to get it cut neatly to fit all the bits I want to put in it. Not exactly happy about that. :cry:

EDIT: OK, I'm an idiot. Upon closer inspection it >>IS<< plucked foam. It just wasn't immediately apparent because it is so finely cut.

PF

Khakis1999 said:
Ach i ordered that case from McM thinking it would be bigger than the other one. Specs say it is, when she showed up today, it was exactly the same size as the other one. Tight

Wait, sot he larger one is the same size? Looking at the dimensions, it says the INTERNAL length is 1" longer than the typical Duratool everyone used for the Phantom 1. Here are the two:

Duratool for Phantom 1: Approximate internal Dimensions (L x W x H): 19 1/2" x 13 1/2" x 8"

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... nfirmEmail

Duratool for Phantom 2? Approximate internal dimensions (L x W x H): 20 1/2" x 13" x 11 1/2"

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/D ... -/22-17815

Looks like the main difference is the larger one is 3.5" taller (deeper). I bought the smaller one, seeing that it had lots of reviews from Phantom pilots - but those were apparently for original Phantom. My P2V *just barely* fits in the smaller one, but only if I remove the "egg crate" foam from the top, and replace it with a thin sheet of 1/4" foam instead. Taller would have been better!

I bought the smaller Duratool case and opted to fit the Vision in the case with the props removed. A smaller case works better for me because of space considerations. Also I came across a coupon code that reduced the price of the case to $34.

It is so easy to put the props on and take them off that I decided they would be safer from accidental damage if they were off. I figured out where the motor shafts would hit the egg crate and cut out a small bit of the egg crate to keep it away from the motors. Then I came across some old saved small plastic medicine cups that came with some Walmart cough syrup and stuck them in the cutouts.

Now when I close the case the cups come down over the motors and protect them from any dust particles that might be in the foam. And no downward pressure on the motors!

Works out Great for me!!!

Paul

Edited to add picture of my $34 Duratool setup.

(Sensitive about foam dust from the cutting getting in the motors, thus the baggies)

My Construction Supervisor Checking The Job…

PhantomII Vision Case by Paul A Valentine, on Flickr

flydogs said:
Here it is in my Pelican 1560 case. I have the props at an angle. The transmitter is a bit tricky with the Wifi and iPhone holder dongle. I even have a space waiting for an extra battery or two. But 310 bucks for two is STEEP!

Ha I have the same case! What made you get orange? For me it was a default. Im a fireman and our EMS division used to use these. Now they just collect dust because we switched to soft bags. It fit really well and the top has clear pockets for all kings of small part storage. The bottom is padded with sections but I think Im going to get the pull and pluck like yours. Looks sharp.

James.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 6.51.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 6.51.41 PM.png
    478.1 KB · Views: 6,313
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 7.05.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 7.05.38 PM.png
    585.5 KB · Views: 6,273
JustJames said:
flydogs said:

Ha I have the same case! What made you get orange? For me it was a default. Im a fireman and our EMS division used to use these. Now they just collect dust because we switched to soft bags. It fit really well and the top has clear pockets for all kings of small part storage. The bottom is padded with sections but I think Im going to get the pull and pluck like yours. Looks sharp.

James.

I love that sign in the background. "Busted Knuckle Garage." When I was turning wrenches as an industrial tool setter we had a big adjustable crescent wrench we all called "Ol' Knuckle Buster." For good reason... :shock:

PAValentine said:
I bought the smaller Duratool case and opted to fit the Vision in the case with the props removed. A smaller case works better for me because of space considerations. Also I came across a coupon code that reduced the price of the case to $34.

It is so easy to put the props on and take them off that I decided they would be safer from accidental damage if they were off. I figured out where the motor shafts would hit the egg crate and cut out a small bit of the egg crate to keep it away from the motors. Then I came across some old saved small plastic medicine cups that came with some Walmart cough syrup and stuck them in the cutouts.

Now when I close the case the cups come down over the motors and protect them from any dust particles that might be in the foam. And no downward pressure on the motors!

Works out Great for me!!!

Paul

Edited to add picture of my $34 Duratool setup.

(Sensitive about foam dust from the cutting getting in the motors, thus the baggies)

My Construction Supervisor Checking The Job…

PhantomII Vision Case by Paul A Valentine, on Flickr

What was the coupon code if it's ok to ask? This case looks good for me.

Wangta said:
Khakis1999 said:
Ach i ordered that case from McM thinking it would be bigger than the other one. Specs say it is, when she showed up today, it was exactly the same size as the other one. Tight

Wait, sot he larger one is the same size? Looking at the dimensions, it says the INTERNAL length is 1" longer than the typical Duratool everyone used for the Phantom 1. Here are the two:

Duratool for Phantom 1: Approximate internal Dimensions (L x W x H): 19 1/2" x 13 1/2" x 8"

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... nfirmEmail

Duratool for Phantom 2? Approximate internal dimensions (L x W x H): 20 1/2" x 13" x 11 1/2"

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/D ... -/22-17815

Anybody had any luck carrying the smaller one (External dimensions (L x W x H): 22 1/2 " x 16 1/2" x 8 1/2") on as a carry on item? Appears to be slightly larger than Delta's requirements 22" x 14" x 9"

Attached is a comparison I made of the cases mentioned on here as well as some others I found after spending too much time switching between tabs in my browser.

The prices include applicable promo codes (EMD359 for Duratool 25% off) and Shipping & Handling costs (the Pelican cases currently have free S&H). Dimensions are for the interior.

The Duratool case looks nice and is obviously the cheapest. However it is on back order for an estimated 42 days, and you lose several inches of interior width.

The Pelicans are available now, but quite more expensive.

The Pelican 1560 seems nice, but may be slightly too tight on the length.

The 7.87" depth/height on the 1600 might be just a little bit too short.

The Pelican 1610 seems to have great dimensions all around but now we're at the $200 price point, so at that point might as well pay a little more and go with the perfectly pre-cut HPRC case? But then, Khakis1999 would think you are an *******.

Another interesting note is that Pelican offers free replacements forever if you break your case. They also have wheels and pull out handle. There is a HPRC model with wheels and a pull out handle but after S&H it's like $280.

Links to Products:

Pelican 1560: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388343-REG/Pelican_1560_000_110_1560_Case_with_Foam.html
Pelican 1600: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40671-REG/Pelican_1600_000_110_1600_Case_with_Foam.html
Pelican 1610: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/200016-REG/Pelican_1610_020_110_1610_Case_with_Foam.html
HPRC 2700PHA2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1017590-REG/hprc_hprc2700pha2_hard_case_foam.html
Duratool 22-17815: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-17815

Attachments

• PHA2VCASECOMPARISON.JPG
    PHA2VCASECOMPARISON.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 6,294
Good comparison there. Helpful i think. I hand the 1560 and everything fits great but.. I think ill have a hard time taking it on as carry on. I'd love to get my hands on a 1510 which is an approved size for carry on to see if the PV2 fits with all the radio and accessories etc. Someone on here says it does but it seems that it might be a very tight fit. Waiting to see pics. If that worked though that would be a very compact and portable solution that is very durable. Also the 1510 is not very expensive for the quality you get.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

J

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl