Carbon Fiber Tri-Blade issues with converted Phantom 2

Reaction score
Greetings! I recently built my phantom 2 into a Flamewheel F550. I'm running a 4s 5000mah lipo with phantom 2 ESC's, Motors, and 9045 props. The hex flies fantastic, with no issues. I purchased some 9" carbon fiber self tightening tri-blade props and received them in the mail yesterday. I put them on and attempted to maiden with the new props - the hex now flies like its drunk. I have almost no control. I messed with the gains - dropping them from 150 to 75/75/100/130, 125 and 125. This had no effect on the flight characteristics. Has anyone else had this problem? Anybody know where to start digging to fix it?

Yea. Ditch the props.
Why do you think they are or would be better?

CF does not make a better prop and 3 blades are less efficient.

Thanks for the advice. My race quad flies much better with a three blade prop than a two blade - much more "locked in" feeling. I dig the carbon fiber look. They were $40 - I would like to make them work. If it flies fine with the stock DJI props and drunk with the CF props, would that be unbalanced props or gain issues? I have a balancer coming in the mail tomorrow for DJI self tightening props. I just wanted to see if someone else had experienced this and what the issue turned out to be.

You're ignoring the obvious.
Your P2 innards were not designed for tri-blade CF props.
The Phantom platform is not a 'racer' or similar platform. It's a flying camera platform. Two different things.
Balancing can be important but will not compensate for incompatibility.

When it comes down to it, I have a flight controller, esc's, and motors. They don't care what they're turning as long as it doesn't exceed the amp draw they're rated for. I am not exceeding that rating. Designed for it or not, I know it can be done - you can find hundreds of videos of people that run tri-blade carbon fiber props on unmodified phantoms with no issues. Phantom's are also not supposed to be able to run 4s batteries, but I do it without issues. My question was not whether or not I should use the parts I already bought - I asked if someone had experience with what I am seeing and had suggestions on how to fix it. I appreciate your input, but its not what I asked for. I don't need someone to tell me what an idiot I am for using non-stock DJI stuff. I need some helpful advice.

Reactions: jakobe75
The only reason for 3 blades is if a 2 bladed prop that is a maximum diameter to clear the airframe needs TO MUCH PITCH to hold the engines back. Kind of like a wing stall . Then you need 3 blades at a flatter pitch. Other than that 3 blades is a waste .

When it comes down to it, I have a flight controller, esc's, and motors. They don't care what they're turning as long as it doesn't exceed the amp draw they're rated for. I am not exceeding that rating. Designed for it or not, I know it can be done - you can find hundreds of videos of people that run tri-blade carbon fiber props on unmodified phantoms with no issues. Phantom's are also not supposed to be able to run 4s batteries, but I do it without issues. My question was not whether or not I should use the parts I already bought - I asked if someone had experience with what I am seeing and had suggestions on how to fix it. I appreciate your input, but its not what I asked for. I don't need someone to tell me what an idiot I am for using non-stock DJI stuff. I need some helpful advice.
What kind of esc or version do you have ? I'm trying to use my P2 with the battery of p3 (4s) but I have problems with the motors which coughing on full throttle, my ESCs and motors are the old version of P2, I haven't tried the new version of P2 motor 2312 with ESCs V2.1, please I need your feedback.

Please Listen to me. I put a set of 2 blade CF props on my P4. I flew it 2 long range flights. On the 3rd takeoff it tried to roll over. I tried again & the same thing. Then the controller gave mw a Warning " Loose or missing blade" I inspected the blades & on one the center aluminum piece broke loose from the CF. Now if it was 1 mile away when this happened over the 90 feet deep ,1 mile lake on the other side of the trees I would never of knew what had happened. It makes me wonder how many other Drones were lost like this & the poor owner has no idea what went wrong ???
USE OEM BLADES One last thing , To my surprise the CF blades weighed more than the stock blades.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.