Carbon fiber reinforced propellers

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the pros or cons to using the carbon fiber reinforced propellers (9450) over the standard stock ones

Ron

con cost.
pro/con prop wins encounter. good for prop, possibly bad for body parts.
pro better response, less flexing

I bought a set 25% off plus an additional 15% cyber monday sale. makers group people here love them, I haven't tried them yet. want more stick time first so I can feel the difference for myself. Might have to get out the dial indicators and graph them and the standard props pitch.

Ron, this is a popular topic around here with as many opinions as people. Use the search feature at the top and just type in carbon and you will see a hundred threads. I think the consensus is that if they were good, DJI would just put them on from the get go. In the grand scheme of things the cost difference is inconsequential, especially what DJI would pay buying 500 thousand at a time.

I have been tempted too, cause I'm one of those who always throw the alum props overboard and put on stainless.

protects drone from gun ship fire. oops, that is kevlar, never mind......

lower radar profile maybe? haven't built my system yet to test. I guess fly at airport, and if they can't see you it works. :oops:

Hey Slack, I want to put four of these invisible blades on mine like this thing uses.

Attachments

• fanless.jpg
    fanless.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 331
Oops....um...I didn't know Buddy. :(

Three hundred fripping dollars for a blessed FAN? I'd hire some chick with a palm frond for that.
Wait till you see the Dyson hair dryer, it feels like a Tony Starkish propulsion system in your hand....only $399 at BestBuy.

I do t know crap about propellors physics, but I do know carbon fiber is lighter, stiffer and stronger. Performance wise they should output a bit more since they don't flex.

But as many have said, they are spinning razor blades and very hard on the motor mounts in a crash as they don't absorb energy lime a bending prop.

Also, I thought DJI already had a carbon fibre prop for the p3?

Yaaa. I don't know much about propellors either, or must not, I've torn up enough to buy a little car, but I'd betcha DJI didn't steal their prop design from Lockheed's Skunkworks. Maybe Harbor Freight. :rolleyes:

Been flying with them over a year. No difference to me. They fly like the others and the only reason I got them were for aesthetics.

If you like the look go with the genuine DJI offerings and have fun. Don't expect a noticeable performance improvement. To the extent they might offer any benefits in reduced rotating mass, stiffness etc these benefits will be absorbed by the flight controller. There will be no speed gains (maximum pitch available will remain fixed and propulsion output will be reduced to accomodate any additional thrust that might be produced.

The analogy might be upgrading turbo and injectors without touching the fuel, spark and boost maps to take advantage of it on a vehicle.

Hey guys thanks for the input I guess I was hoping that the carbon fiber propellers would create an electro static bubble around the drone making it invisible, but I guess that might not be the case.

But seriously

Thanks for the feedback

Ron

Is there a particular observation you might want to share or discuss from that vid?
Only that it's been my experience that the difference is tiny at best and the attraction is almost purely cosmetic. Carbon fiber definitely breaks easily and leaves sharp shards and edges.
One question I frequently received was regarding noise levels, many carbon fiber prop owners declared them to be quieter than stock white plastic. That's all, just sharing the results of my testing.

Reactions: With The Birds
I bought them and regret it. They make no difference but I can be a bit of a impulse buyer and tend to waste a bit of money buying stuff before I research anything. Just a bad habit of mine. The funny thing about me buying random stuff I don't need is listening to me explain to the ol lady why I think I needed it. Lol

Only that it's been my experience that the difference is tiny at best and the attraction is almost purely cosmetic. Carbon fiber definitely breaks easily and leaves sharp shards and edges.
One question I frequently received was regarding noise levels, many carbon fiber prop owners declared them to be quieter than stock white plastic. That's all, just sharing the results of my testing.
Agree 100%. Most of the rubbish people buy are FAUX CF at best. Even the DJI offerings are only CF impregnated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.