Carbon fiber props

Earth to Gadgetman ...It's very difficult to get through to you but here goes one more time.
Try reading it this time.
DJI don't make hard black props for the Phantom series.
What you have was not put in the box by DJI.
Your retailer bundled some cheap and nasty aftermarket props.

They make Black props
IMG_0888.jpg

Your comment was “ they don’t make hard black props “ they do make them

You misunderstand the difference between the black hard (CF that DJI does not make) props and black not hard (plastic that DJI does make) props. We could simply throw out the color completely to avoid confusion. What you posted a photo of was not the hard CF props, it was the soft (actually plastic) props that DJI _does_ sell. So no, DJI does not well hard props such as you see with CF. They only sell plastic props, which are flexible, with very little CF as reinforcements.

To be more clear: DJI does not sell all CF props which are very stiff and have almost no bend to them. They don't have a CF design on the blades (such as what is show in the photo from gagetman). The do sell (basically) plastic props with just a touch of CF for reinforcement. These are still very flexible as they are mostly plastic, not CF.

Plastic = soft
CF = hard

Some dealers want to seem like they are offering something all of the other sellers are not (because they have to charge the same price). So they "throw in" the (terrible) actual CF props. It is because of marketing... people think CF automatically is better in everything. Look at those little sports cars with huge aftermarket CF wings on them.

upload_2018-9-19_8-3-41.png

Makes no difference until a car gets to around 200mph.But IT'S CARBON FIBER! So people buy them. Personally I think DJI jumped on the buck making bandwagon and game out with their own version... just to squeeze those extra dollars out of customers. They have been moving this way ever since

You misunderstand the difference between the black hard (CF that DJI does not make) props and black not hard (plastic that DJI does make) props. We could simply throw out the color completely to avoid confusion. What you posted a photo of was not the hard CF props, it was the soft (actually plastic) props that DJI _does_ sell. So no, DJI does not well hard props such as you see with CF. They only sell plastic props, which are flexible, with very little CF as reinforcements.

To be more clear: DJI does not sell all CF props which are very stiff and have almost no bend to them. They don't have a CF design on the blades (such as what is show in the photo from gagetman). The do sell (basically) plastic props with just a touch of CF for reinforcement. These are still very flexible as they are mostly plastic, not CF.

Plastic = soft
CF = hard

Some dealers want to seem like they are offering something all of the other sellers are not (because they have to charge the same price). So they "throw in" the (terrible) actual CF props. It is because of marketing... people think CF automatically is better in everything. Look at those little sports cars with huge aftermarket CF wings on them.

View attachment 103639

Makes no difference until a car gets to around 200mph.But IT'S CARBON FIBER! So people buy them. Personally I think DJI jumped on the buck making bandwagon and game out with their own version... just to squeeze those extra dollars out of customers. They have been moving this way ever since
The black DJI props are carbon fibre reinforced nylon (thermoplastic). CF reinforced nylon has a higher strength to weight ration than 6601-T6 aluminium and is more than 24 times stronger than ABS plastic.

Its probably fair to say the CF reinforced DJI offerings are superior to the DJI standard props but for known reasons there is little if any performance or reliability benefits that might be realised.

Arguably the most important factor here is that the DJI branded props are vey unlikely to fail and to the extent they do it won't be used as an argument to not proceed with honouring a warranty repair.

The black DJI props are carbon fibre reinforced nylon (thermoplastic). CF reinforced nylon has a higher strength to weight ration than 6601-T6 aluminium and is more than 24 times stronger than ABS plastic.

Its probably fair to say the CF reinforced DJI offerings are superior to the DJI standard props but for known reasons there is little if any performance or reliability benefits that might be realised.

Arguably the most important factor here is that the DJI branded props are vey unlikely to fail and to the extent they do it won't be used as an argument to not proceed with honouring a warranty repair.

Some of the other forum members do not take being proved wrong to well [emoji51][emoji106]

Reactions: gagetman
That isn't a DJI part number.... What you are showing is the typical non OEM offering. By all means fly whatever you like but do so in the knowledge that you have a good chance of experiencing problems. The most common with those style props being failure at the hub (breaking) or flying off intact during flight. Both failure modes have been reported by numerous members on this forum and elsewhere.

That is not a DJI product.

Fat albert did provide a true DJI part, but it is still a flexible hybrid prop, not a true rigid CF prop.

Well let's use some humour here seeing as you seem to think you find me very lets say in a kindly way "thick" and hard to get through to.It takes one to recognise one! I'm sure DJI would never even had entered into this converation.I for one would never have put in my $'s worth if I'd known what a hen's(excuse the pun Bird)party this was going to be.

Well let's use some humour here seeing as you seem to think you find me very lets say in a kindly way "thick" and hard to get through to.It takes one to recognise one! I'm sure DJI would never even had entered into this converation.I for one would never have put in my $'s worth if I'd known what a hen's(excuse the pun Bird)party this was going to be.

The UPC you posted a picture of was not a genuine DJI product it was a Chinese knock-off if your satisfied with there performance that’s great but if your going to preach to others on there benefit may I suggest you at least get your facts straight then distort them as you wish ....

Guys you have just about beat this horse to death so just be aware it's not gonna take much more for me to close it.
ms-HACtZx.gif

Just one question.. how much CF prop portion of the prop and not just the nut/screw on portion?

I'd agree with your last paragraph.

My pure CF props are quieter...attested to by several friends who have seen the drone in action. No debate there at all. The type of blade IS relevant! My P4P handles high winds much better than OEM props.Steadier, can hover in more wind. With the OEM props I had to cease flying in less wind. It stops faster both in the horizontal plane and the vertical. Saying that CF props aren’t better is akin to saying that fuel injection isn’t as good as carburetors. Gentlemen, we are well past the halfway point of the second decade of the 21st century...modern materials ARE better...perhaps you would prefer that DJI build their P4P out of wood? Use rubber bands for propulsion? Perhaps we should tie the drones to a stout nylon line so they can’t get away. Where does it stop? CF blades..(real, pure CF)...buy‘em, fly’em...you will never return to fat, heavy, drag-heavy OEM blades.
BTW, I don’t race my P4P...leave that to the fast-fingered youngsters and it is great fun to watch them do it. However, better control over the drone makes for better photography. More stable, more wind capability so I stay aloft when you have to give up due to wind thus...I get the shot and you don’t. The type of blade IS relevant to success aloft.

Better or no better you miss the point.
I said that CF prop. are more dangerous in case the AC hit somebody!
About flying a can say (not tested just personal impression) that with CF Phantom is more responsive. But even if it is this is nothing more than personal feeling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20