carbon fiber parts

Reaction score
im thinking of making a base for my phantom to prevent tip over. the base will be about the same shape as the phantom, 1/16 thick with rubber feet, mounted to the bottom of the landing skids. im planning to use a piece of carbon fiber, does carbon fiber interfere with radio signals?

scole said:
so it will interfere with the radio?

Carbon fiber is generally radio-opaque, so it may block the tx signal. But I'm wondering more about what this "tipover base" is going to look like. The tx signal may be the least of your worries.

scole said:
so it will interfere with the radio?

If you are adventurous, try to connect RX antenna to your CF "base". Your own risk, of course. You may have invented a new antenna type for Phantom ;P

P.S. I'll guess 1/16" pultruded carbon rod is too flexible for you purpose?

Carbon fiber can block radio signals, plus making a "base" out of it would be a mistake for a lot of reasons. The Phantom definitely benefits from a larger footprint. It would be better to attach some skids to the landing gear. I made mine out of 1/4" styrene tubes to help against tip-overs and to raise ground clearance a little. I could extend them only about 1 to 1.25" in the front and keep them out of the camera's view, but that's enough to make a noticeable improvement. You could do something similar out of plastic, wood dowels or even carbon fiber.

There are also a number of after market landing gears that would accomplish the same.

Attachments

• DSC01635.JPG
    DSC01635.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC01636.JPG
    DSC01636.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 345

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads