Carbon Fiber Landing Gear/Gimbal protector- Pro or con

Reaction score
When I bought this, it seemed like a good idea.
Protect the camera, gimbal, etc.
However, recently I was flying in front of a house and decided to fly over it, (no line of sight, just monitor) and descended into the back yard. My thought was to do a 360 of the yard.
Next thing I knew, I lost electronic and visual connection with the bird. I ran to the back yard, thought I heard a prop sound (couldn't really tell, as I am hearing impaired) and there was my P4 V2 (one month old) against the house on the ground with 4 snapped landing gears at the bird. 2 of the blades had mud on them. Cannot recall if I had turned off the warning sensors, but I must have. Stupidly, I had exceeded my skills.
In thinking about all of this, I am wondering if the Carbon Fiber Landing Gear/Gimbal protector didn't give too much rigidity to the landing gear causing the snapped gear.
What do y'all think of this accessory? When my P4V2 returns, should I reinstall?
Thanks to all of you experts! Fly cheerfully!

Attachments

• Landing gear.jpg
    Landing gear.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 458
Some drone insurance policies require a gimbal protector for the policy to be in force. I have found that using external landing gear AND the gimbal protector give some protection. However, I use the snap-on gimbal protector not the rigid one you displayed. It is hard to say if the rigid gimbal protector was at fault for your broken gear; it would depend, I suppose, on how the drone hit the ground? If the rigid gimbal protector was putting any stress on the landing gear due to incorrect fit that would certainly not help.

I think it’s genius by the Chinese- produce all this stuff we don’t need but can’t help buying. In a decent crash it will be a waste of time, on all other occasions it will just reduce flight times and interfere with aerodynamics. It may well also confuse the vps.

If the gimbal protector is set too far aft of the camera it will interfere with the vertical navigation of the drone. You will get a message on your screen stating that the vertical sensing is not functioning properly and to land immediately. You should do exactly that! I almost lost my P4P due to its inability to slow its descent vis a vis the messed up vertical sensor. At first I thought the drone was “settling with power”, a helicopter event but possible with a drone. Not so! The gimbal protector is very light and produces little parasitic drag in comparison to the protection it offers to a very sensitive and expensive part of the P4P.

Sorry to read this,,I did recent buy a plastic one just for protection and seemed to make me p4 bit unsteady when desending to land,even at height coming down almost goes into a very untidy motion so took it and fly normal again coming down,must have been disrupting aerodynamics I presume,as post #3 metion good crash and all is history,,,just my experience with it some might work ok,,,I think the idea is to always land in safe flat area,,,,yours as a assesory (can't spell that word) looks nice but mayby that's it...these items might not have been tested properly before sold,just like led props,just there for looking at or even storage,,sorry again for your mishap
1536120542188-536540074.jpg

If the gimbal protector is set too far aft of the camera it will interfere with the vertical navigation of the drone. You will get a message on your screen stating that the vertical sensing is not functioning properly and to land immediately. You should do exactly that! I almost lost my P4P due to its inability to slow its descent vis a vis the messed up vertical sensor. At first I thought the drone was “settling with power”, a helicopter event but possible with a drone. Not so! The gimbal protector is very light and produces little parasitic drag in comparison to the protection it offers to a very sensitive and expensive part of the P4P.
How much does it weigh? How have you established the drag is negligible? Each to their own. I think the best benefit they have is looks... maybe they could stop the grass smearing your skylight filter also.

I try's the plastic snap on I like the extra protection but every time I try to fly with it I have to land it seems to interfere with the downward vision sensor and I get the error msg vision sensor error land immediately. I land restart p4p and problem goes away. I wish I could figure out away to use it without it interfering with the sensor. Although I can't adjust it foreword because I also use landing gear. Yet even removing landing gear and adjusting the it towards the front would expose the camera to the point that having it on would be almost useless

I try's the plastic snap on I like the extra protection but every time I try to fly with it I have to land it seems to interfere with the downward vision sensor and I get the error msg vision sensor error land immediately. I land restart p4p and problem goes away. I wish I could figure out away to use it without it interfering with the sensor. Although I can't adjust it foreword because I also use landing gear. Yet even removing landing gear and adjusting the it towards the front would expose the camera to the point that having it on would be almost useless

I ended up cutting mine down, to avoid the sensors, literally in half, leaving the semi circle on the gimbal side,
Mine was this type though.

DJI PHANTOM 4 CAMERA/GIMBAL GUARD LANDING PROTECTION EASY FIT. UK STOCK. | eBay

Reactions: grtday
You know I started to actually do that and see if that would do the trick. But now as you may see in my post decided to sell everything due to not having time to study for part 107 pilot license. Interested i only ha it 4 months and a lot of accessories with dji insurance.

Thanks for the guard info if I decide to not sale after a week I may cut the guard down like that and see how it works. Thanx

Reactions: Technical Bob
I purchased a camera guard which attaches to the belly of the Mavic, I'm dubious about fitting it as I fear it may interfere with warranty as it involves undoing 4 screws and replacing them with slightly longer screws. I'k also not sure how much protection it actually gives. I read somewhere certain guards can interfere with the Mavic's cooling inlets, this is why I went for this type. So which is the best? I've looked at Ebay and see one from a local seller for $38.50 and the same type is under $2 from China with free delivery, (how can they do that?)

One other question regarding accessories, the Silicone covers, are they OK to use? I purchased one simply because the Sun can be really hard on quadcopters and I was concerned about my Mavic overheating in direct sunlight, especially when the temperature is up around 45' C. I thought the lighter colour would tend to reflect more than the darker colour of the Mavic. I was worried it would absorb more heat and cause problems to the electronics. Any help would be appreciated, If there's such a thing as "Must Have" accessories please let me know. Thank you.

I purchased a camera guard which attaches to the belly of the Mavic, I'm dubious about fitting it as I fear it may interfere with warranty as it involves undoing 4 screws and replacing them with slightly longer screws. I'k also not sure how much protection it actually gives. I read somewhere certain guards can interfere with the Mavic's cooling inlets, this is why I went for this type. So which is the best? I've looked at Ebay and see one from a local seller for $38.50 and the same type is under $2 from China with free delivery, (how can they do that?)

One other question regarding accessories, the Silicone covers, are they OK to use? I purchased one simply because the Sun can be really hard on quadcopters and I was concerned about my Mavic overheating in direct sunlight, especially when the temperature is up around 45' C. I thought the lighter colour would tend to reflect more than the darker colour of the Mavic. I was worried it would absorb more heat and cause problems to the electronics. Any help would be appreciated, If there's such a thing as "Must Have" accessories please let me know. Thank you.
Might be better asking on a Mavic forum in all fairness, for a more accurate answer.
hth

Oh rats, sorry, I just saw the Phantom 4 mentioned at the top, My apologies. I'll get out of your hair. I'll try again to find the Mavic forum. :)

I think it’s genius by the Chinese- produce all this stuff we don’t need but can’t help buying. In a decent crash it will be a waste of time, on all other occasions it will just reduce flight times and interfere with aerodynamics. It may well also confuse the vps.

Haha yep. Was astounded after my P4P purchase a year ago the sheer number of additional items you can buy and end up spending some hard earned dollars on some pretty useless stuff.

I bought many accessories myself, but never gumbal protector as I'd use birds eye shots during a number of my flights and would always land on my helipad or catch in mid air avoiding the requirement or even the thought of needing to buy one.

RoOSTA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.