Can't fly in approved air space

Reaction score
Hi, trying to fly in class c airspace up to 200' which was approved via LAANC. I have a Phantom 4 pro + and it won't let me take off because it thinks I'm in a no fly zone. Anyway to work around this? Thanks!

It's a bit of a pain but I'm guessing the problem is DJI, not LAANC. Go to the dji.com Support, More Services, then Fly Safe. You may have to log in. Then scroll down and select "Unlock a Zone". Follow the directions.... which I have found to be less than perfect... yes I am a geezer. The not so obvious thing, at least to me, is the map always starts near Washington DC and you have to scroll to your location. Once you get there you should be able to determine what kind of unlock is needed. Hope this helps. It took me several tries to get it the first time. DJI's email support is pretty good too.

Hi, trying to fly in class c airspace up to 200' which was approved via LAANC. I have a Phantom 4 pro + and it won't let me take off because it thinks I'm in a no fly zone. Anyway to work around this? Thanks!
This happened to me last weekend. I lost the job, reference, great referral, and $600– wasted liability coverage for a job I couldn’t fly because of DJI.
I got a letter from the FAA approving what I planned to do :— fly a mission staying under 100 feet, a quarter mile distance.

I went to fly the mission. Everything was go until I tried to take off. Restricted airspace— ok, I know- but there was no place to enter my approval information. I called DJI customer service, and asked what to do. They told me to open their airspace app and request permission there. The app asked for my controller and drone serial numbers, and all that other fun stuff you fill out for a waiver.

10 minutes later, a text comes back saying rejected. I called again, and was asked for the reason why. The email said I have to submit the flight request through a web page, link given, instead of doing it through the app. Ok, I copied the link into another browser window that brought up the exact same page. I did everything and submitted it again. 10 minutes, and I get another rejection email.

This job was to record aerial images of a Caribbean festival— the client designed the setup of the entire operation, putting live musicians vendor tents, dance areas, food services, and pathways for people to walk around easily.

I tried for four hours to get that drone into the air. All the fields and flight parameters were correct. When I called the third time, I got a recording, Both operators are busy now, please sit on hold and listen to awful music,…… the better part of another hour goes by, things are winding down, people are leaving, and I could fly.

The FAA has the final word when it comes to waivers for flying in restricted airspace. I have asked DJI for compensation— this situation was of their making.
The next day I reached someone who said that instead of selecting a zone on a map designating where I wished to fly, I should have drawn around the area with a finger. This seems counterintuitive— most of the applications I know for requesting waivers start with a point on the map, then select a maximum distance you plan to fly from that point, and you get a circular radius to specify boundaries. You’re asked to enter a value less than 400, or a smaller value if the height limit is lower for that place.

This **** software problem ruined the job I was trying to do. DJI stepped in over the FAA with respect to this waiver.

I see someone else here has experienced the exact same thing.
Why, DJI?
It isn’t your place to overstep the FAA. They decide who can fly what, when, how and where— is that not right???
A reply with some tangible compensation for this debacle is in order, and I don’t mean the set of propellers one of your “supervisors” offered me.
Your support team was clueless. Passing the buck is all they did, and each time I was told that the next person would fix my problem, it was not true. Nobody knew what any other people has said, or was able to correct the false information I was given, every time!
Hours! Trying to take off! Hours! With my flight controls locked because DJI wants to play God— and ignore the FAA.
Who else has had their work ruined this way,
BY DJI!??!

This happened to me last weekend. I lost the job, reference, great referral, and $600– wasted liability coverage for a job I couldn’t fly because of DJI.
I got a letter from the FAA approving what I planned to do :— fly a mission staying under 100 feet, a quarter mile distance.

I went to fly the mission. Everything was go until I tried to take off. Restricted airspace— ok, I know- but there was no place to enter my approval information. I called DJI customer service, and asked what to do. They told me to open their airspace app and request permission there. The app asked for my controller and drone serial numbers, and all that other fun stuff you fill out for a waiver.

10 minutes later, a text comes back saying rejected. I called again, and was asked for the reason why. The email said I have to submit the flight request through a web page, link given, instead of doing it through the app. Ok, I copied the link into another browser window that brought up the exact same page. I did everything and submitted it again. 10 minutes, and I get another rejection email.

This job was to record aerial images of a Caribbean festival— the client designed the setup of the entire operation, putting live musicians vendor tents, dance areas, food services, and pathways for people to walk around easily.

I tried for four hours to get that drone into the air. All the fields and flight parameters were correct. When I called the third time, I got a recording, Both operators are busy now, please sit on hold and listen to awful music,…… the better part of another hour goes by, things are winding down, people are leaving, and I could fly.

The FAA has the final word when it comes to waivers for flying in restricted airspace. I have asked DJI for compensation— this situation was of their making.
The next day I reached someone who said that instead of selecting a zone on a map designating where I wished to fly, I should have drawn around the area with a finger. This seems counterintuitive— most of the applications I know for requesting waivers start with a point on the map, then select a maximum distance you plan to fly from that point, and you get a circular radius to specify boundaries. You’re asked to enter a value less than 400, or a smaller value if the height limit is lower for that place.

This **** software problem ruined the job I was trying to do. DJI stepped in over the FAA with respect to this waiver.

Why, DJI?
It isn’t your place to overstep the FAA. They decide who can fly what, when, how and where— is that not right???
A reply with some tangible compensation for this debacle is in order, and I don’t mean the set of propellers one of your “supervisors” offered me.
Your support team was clueless. Passing the buck is all they did, and each time I was told that the next person would fix my problem, it was not true. Nobody knew what any other people has said, or was able to correct the false information I was given, every time!
Hours! Trying to take off! Hours! With my flight controls locked because DJI wants to play God— and ignore the FAA.
BY DJI!??!
I almost experienced the same thing.

I was doing a mapping job 96 miles North of my hometown. Deployed hours ahead of me was a survey crew who had laid out a slew of active GCP's that needed to be collected up post-flight. Needless to say, they were EXPENSIVE for my client. Like you, I got all my permits and ducks in a row pre-flight. Because I had encountered this kind of erroneous NFZ one time years earlier, I hacked my main drone, but not my spare (which can be hacked on-site if I have to). On this day, for no particular reason, I decided to fly my spare P4P (it's an Obsidian). I was met with this message:

1662197314393.jpeg

I love the ChineEnglish; "Mission will ACROSS the no fly zone." Needless to say, for just a second, my heart sank into my stomach before I had remembered that I was attempting to fly my spare drone.

NOTE: I was a little over 1.4 miles from any kind of NFZ:

1662197682591.png

So there I was, stuck with a grounded drone while a survey crew costing THOUSANDS was standing by, waiting on me to finish this mission. Fortunately for all of us, my primary drone is hacked. I simply put away the spare, broke out the primary and flew the mission. No harm no foul.

I obviously use DJI's hardware, but I stopped trusting their developers YEARS ago. All my drones are hacked and for good reason. "Fool me once, shame on you...."

D

Why, DJI?
BY DJI!??!
I’m pretty sure everyone has a story just like yours lol…. I know I do anyway. I lost a job and then I took that dumb **** off my drone lol. The fifty bucks I spent for NLD was the best fifty bucks I ever spent. It’s like having a brand new drone that you can have faith in. I know without a doubt it’s gonna take off and the only way I’m gonna end up looking like an idiot is if it’s of my own making and that I can live with lmao.

I almost experienced the same thing.

I was doing a mapping job 96 miles North of my hometown. Deployed hours ahead of me was a survey crew who had laid out a slew of active GCP's that needed to be collected up post-flight. Needless to say, they were EXPENSIVE for my client. Like you, I got all my permits and ducks in a row pre-flight. Because I had encountered this kind of erroneous NFZ one time years earlier, I hacked my main drone, but not my spare (which can be hacked on-site if I have to). On this day, for no particular reason, I decided to fly my spare P4P (it's an Obsidian). I was met with this message:

View attachment 124330

I love the ChineEnglish; "Mission will ACROSS the no fly zone." Needless to say, for just a second, my heart sank into my stomach before I had remembered that I was attempting to fly my spare drone.

NOTE: I was a little over 1.4 miles from any kind of NFZ:

View attachment 124331

So there I was, stuck with a grounded drone while a survey crew costing THOUSANDS was standing by, waiting on me to finish this mission. Fortunately for all of us, my primary drone is hacked. I simply put away the spare, broke out the primary and flew the mission. No harm no foul.

I obviously use DJI's hardware, but I stopped trusting their developers YEARS ago. All my drones are hacked and for good reason. "Fool me once, shame on you...."

D
How do I hack my drones so this won’t happen again? Litchi is great, but it can’t get past DJI’s screw jobs.

How do I hack my drones so this won’t happen again? Litchi is great, but it can’t get past DJI’s screw jobs.
It's been YEARS since I hacked my P4P, so I don't remember the whole thing step-by-step. So let me get you started down the path so you can research it yourself.

I hacked the P4P through a hacked version of the DJI Assistant 2 program (Windows version). There's a hack that puts Assistant 2 into "Debug mode." This opens up a bevy of options, including removing NFZ's. So search "dji assistant 2 debug mode" should get you started.

I don't have my P4P with me, but here's what the hacked versions of Assistant 2 looks like:
1673139620339.jpeg

Once you plug the P4P into your Windows laptop, Assistant 2 will open up a bevy of options in the left panel. Do your Google diligence. If/when you get to this point, I can help you with the actual hacks/modifications I used.

Good luck.

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic