Can't activate new P3A, not a good first experience!

Reaction score
Well looks like I'm going to have to return this brand new P3A that won't activate.
  • I've tried updating to the latest firmware as well as the one prior to it.
  • I've tried using 3 different devices (2 ios and 1 android).
  • I've clicked on the activate button numerous times to no avail.
  • I've tried setting up an account using a different email.
  • I've spoken with several DJI tech support people.

Before the activation window comes up, at times I can briefly see when I launch the app that the camera is working, and the gimbal control works, the controller definitely connects to the P3A. But the darn activation is totally stopping me in my tracks. It's just not a good first experience with DJI. I'm not going to even go through the repair process for this, and am going to straight out return it. Unless you guys have any suggestions I have not tried.

If you can't activate, you either visit someone who knows the job or return it. DJI might replace with a refurbished unit which you don't deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: chorobe
Thanks for your suggestions. I've had many years working as a computer technician so I am pretty confident in taking the right steps with this DJI. I have tried replacing the cable while on the activate screen with various known good cables and none of those got me past the activation. The good thing I was able to briefly see the camera view before the Activate "window" blocked it again. I've tried out mobile devices that are definitely compatible as well to no avail.

The strange thing is, if this is merely to register the aircraft with my account and for warranty, what could the hold up be? Later today I'm going to try to actually call support (I've been chatting with them via messaging) but I don't really have that much hope for it working now.

Reactions: Omokjoe
Silly questions, but do you have internet access (cellular or WIFI) when trying to register? What is the error message you are seeing, if any?
Yup, tried my wifi (even disabling the firewall), using VPN to a different location, and using cellular.

Using iOS the error is: Activation Failed. Please retry. Activation Service Error.

Using Android the error is: Activation Failed. Activation Failed (ServerBackFail). Contact DJI Support if problem persists after restart.

I have also uninstalled the app completely, rebooted my phone, and reinstalled the app. Still no go.

Last edited:
Ok, try this: Disconnect the controller from your device, and turn off the RC and the bird. Next, open the DJI GO app on your device. At the home screen, click the aircraft icon on the upper left part of the screen. See if you can log in there. You need to be able to log in successfully. Once you can, even if that means creating a new account, then connect up your bird and register it.

Hey Multicoptertec, thanks for your suggestions. It doesn't work. The accounts I've set up I have made sure they do indeed log in. Even though I can log into the DJI Go app, I still cannot "activate" unfortunately.

I thought that at the present time we could not use the app on ios devices and that's why I am only using my Android device. Also the thing I forgot was to change my settings on my Samsung pad to the phantoms in the wireless section and I also should know that after being used to computers for years, but easy to forget. Good luck with getting your Phantom up in the air, as once flying, you will enjoy it.
Phil

Sent from my SM-T230 using PhantomPilots mobile app

May not help in your case, but another poster was having problems getting his app to work properly and found out that having the Bluetooth on was causing his problem! Worth checking.

Sure your not in a no fly zone?

Try to recalibrate the compass on the drone again could be the magic fix

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Definitely not in a no fly zone. Even if it were in a no fly zone, the Activation process should have no bearing on it. Also you cannot do anything like calibrating the compass until you get through the initial activation screens. Thanks for your input though!

Reactions: Neon Euc
May not help in your case, but another poster was having problems getting his app to work properly and found out that having the Bluetooth on was causing his problem! Worth checking.

I can certainly try that solution. It is strange for that to be an issue with all 4 compatible devices I have tried using. I'll edit this post later today with the results!

UPDATE: No go, even with bluetooth turned off, the error is still the same.

Last edited:
I thought that at the present time we could not use the app on ios devices and that's why I am only using my Android device. Also the thing I forgot was to change my settings on my Samsung pad to the phantoms in the wireless section and I also should know that after being used to computers for years, but easy to forget. Good luck with getting your Phantom up in the air, as once flying, you will enjoy it.
Phil

Sent from my SM-T230 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Philghost, I do not know if you are aware of this, but making sure your wifi is connected to the phantom's wifi access point only applies to the Phantom Standard. For Advanced and Pro, you actually connect your device directly to the transmitter via the USB cable.

I've heard about people using the Litchi app instead of the DJI GO app. I wonder if the Litchi app will enable me to bypass the activation??

UPDATE: the answer is no, it does not work. The Litchi app will let me see more in terms of the battery levels, satellites connected, camera view etc. but the motors just won't activate.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31