Can you rely on UAVForecast?

Reaction score
I'm finding it to say the exact same wind speed every time I check...over just past 3 days. Different locations in the city.

I'm pretty sure some of the time it's wrong.

Probably asking too much for there to be accurate information in it for everywhere.

I'm finding it to say the exact same wind speed every time I check...over just past 3 days. Different locations in the city.

Probably asking too much for there to be accurate information in it for everywhere.
Been thinking same lately ,info handy but i stuck on sunday even though i update app and when conected it says last update couple secounds ago but cant get rid of sunday ,but other info changes,

Of course it's not.
It's a very approximate tool and can be completely wrong a lot of the time.
because it's on a screen, there's a tendency for people to assume it's accurate but if you understand how it gets the numbers you'd have very little faith in it.
They get a few forecast numbers (with their own inaccuracy) that relate to a few sites for a few times per day and average out to fill in the gaps between where and when those estimate numbers relate to and where and when you are looking at the app.
There are many, many factors that affect wind and other parameters on a local scale and can give you very different conditions from what a weather forecast suggested might happen at some place miles away.
UAV forecast does not tell you what the wind is at your site at the time you are looking at it.
It shows you an estimate based on other estimates, extrapolated way beyond anything that should be relied on.
Use it as a guess at what conditions might be but trust your own senses to tell you what the actual conditions on the ground really are.

Here's the AWOS number at your airport. Give it a call. It's a robot. The wind will be in knots.

SB

I use uavforecast every flight. It is generally accurate most of the time. Sometimes it's not very accurate. But that's okay because I also use

...www.windy.com

You have the advantage of seeing wind forecast by NAM, Euro, and GFS. But I don't use NAM because it only shows wind on the surface and at 1000 ft. The other two show wind at 330 ft. The wind speeds and directions are almost always a bit different from each other and also different from uavforecast (my theory is uav forecast uses NAM but draws an estimated average between surface and 1000 ft. depending on the specific elevation you type in).

A bit of a learning curve, but if you spend a few minutes with it, you will learn it. And then you will get wind estimates very quickly from two different sources and you can then make an educated guess on which one is the most accurate, or you can take the average of all three.

So what I do before each and every flight is check uavforecast.com. Do I fly? If the answer is no, I don't fly. If the answer is yes, then I charge my battery. When the battery is charged I check uavforecast again. Do I fly? If the answer is still yes, I check windy.com. Do I fly? Usually the answer is yes and so I fly. Sometimes the answer is no and so I log onto here with a cup of coffee.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4