Can you get FPV with gopro in photo mode?

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a gopro hero3+ black for my phantom 2 with one of the new RC WIFI shutters to take still photos. I thought I read somewhere that there is no video feed when in photo mode? Is this true?

Thinking of buying a gopro hero3+ black for my phantom 2 with one of the new RC WIFI shutters to take still photos. I thought I read somewhere that there is no video feed when in photo mode? Is this true?

Yes it is true. Works the same way as any DSLR camera works when taking photos the LCD go black while processing the image.

You made mention of RC wifi what P2 do you have? If you have a P2 non vision you cannot use the GoPro with the wifi turned on as it will interfere with the RC's 2.4Ghz frequency.

Ok, well I can handle a momentary going black of my FPV feed when I shoot a photo, but can you still get FPV at all while in photo mode?

This is the shutter I was looking at :
http://www.rcshutter.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_65&product_id=103
Doesn't seem to interfere with Futaba, but I have Frsky in my P2. Not sure if it will interfere.

A P2 non vision and the RC (Futaba in your case) operates on a frequency of 2.4Ghz and more than likely so does this rcshutter. If you have a P2 vision/vision + and RC they operate on a frequency of 5.8Ghz so a wifi signal would not interfere with the remote operation so you could use the rcshutter on those units.

Trying to find out if it has been tested with Frsky. Apparently, Futaba systems work fine even though they are 2.4ghz.

So does anyone know if FPV works with gopro in photo mode?

Trying to find out if it has been tested with Frsky. Apparently, Futaba systems work fine even though they are 2.4ghz.

So does anyone know if FPV works with gopro in photo mode?

The GP cannot shoot photos on demand. You can setup the camera to shoot 30 photos at 1, 2 and 3 second or 1 photo at .5 - 60 seconds. There's also a photo/video setup but not if you have setup in protune. Of course you cannot use the camera with wifi turned on. Take the time to read the owners manual.
http://cbcdn1.gp-static.com/uploads/product_manual/file/202/HERO3_Plus_Black_UM_ENG_REVD.pdf

I'll take the time to read the manual if you take the time to read my post :) I know you are just trying to help but I get that wifi and 2.4ghz radios are not supposed to play together but in practice they can coexist just fine in some cases. I am not an electrical engineer but the frequency hopping is sophisticated enough or the wavelengths don't completely overlap.

If you look at the link for the shutter it allows you to control the shutter and mode of the gopro with the transmitter so in theory you should be able to do photo on demand.

Still trying to find out if it is possible to do FPV while in still photo mode? Does the usb port still output analog video? I had read that it does not output video while in photo mode but need confirmation.

I'll take the time to read the manual if you take the time to read my post :) I know you are just trying to help but I get that wifi and 2.4ghz radios are not supposed to play together but in practice they can coexist just fine in some cases. I am not an electrical engineer but the frequency hopping is sophisticated enough or the wavelengths don't completely overlap.

If you look at the link for the shutter it allows you to control the shutter and mode of the gopro with the transmitter so in theory you should be able to do photo on demand.

Still trying to find out if it is possible to do FPV while in still photo mode? Does the usb port still output analog video? I had read that it does not output video while in photo mode but need confirmation.

When the camera is setup to do both it will not do shoot video while processing a photo.

Your determine to try using wifi to trigger the camera and if you do so and it either crashes or flies away you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

Pretty sure you need to be in Photo + Video mode to get FPV. This compromises your choice of resolution and protune though, and the FPV will still blank whenever a picture is taken.

I have a Gopro 3 Black+, and I regularly use FPV, but I have no shutter add on. My practice, for still pictures, has been to set the gopro up on a 5 or 10 second interval, and then launch the Phantom. Hughie is right, I still get FPV, but it blacks out for a second or so with every photo. For this reason a 10 second interval make it much easier to fly. I tend to rely on FPV more for framing my picures rather than flying, so I'll get the Phantom over or near my objective with LOS, then turn to the monitor to frame up my photos.

When the camera is in picture+video mode no blackout occurs, but I prefer to have the camera set at 60fps and it won't do the picture+video in that mode.

Why don't you shoot video then in Gopro Studio you can export a still from the video clip

I recently took my Phantom 2 out with the GoPro set to time lapse still photography, taking an image every 10 secs, and the FPV worked fine. There was a momentary blanking of the screen as each photo was taken, but nothing that affected the ability to fly it.

I have set my Gopro to Video + Photo, I get 12 megapixel shots with video and don't notice anything on my screen.

I have set my Gopro to Video + Photo, I get 12 megapixel shots with video and don't notice anything on my screen.

If you mean the screen goes black when GP takes a photo then yes it does as do all digital cameras when taking photos.

Last edited:
Is there other ways to take still shots? Or is it only by setting the GP to so it every 10 sec?
What about The video stored on The GP does it also have those "Black" screens in The video every 10 sec, when The GP is taking a picture?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31