Can you fly your Phantom in the rain?

In regards to those posting the DSLRPros underwater kit. As an update - 6-8 months ago they stopped selling this because it was not 100% proven to work and some users had issues. At one point EZ Drone were working on a similar solution, but nothing for sale from them yet.

Would like to shoot thunder, rainbow will be beautiful - Is UAV easy to be hit by thunder?

I'm assuming that the wet quad that collects water on the surface would have a slightly lower resistance than the surrounding air/rain, increasing its chances of a strike higher. The chances would still be probably less than it striking you as the pilot on the ground (presumably also wet and physically grounded to some degree), so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd be way more worried about the avionics in general. Lightning causes pretty significant EM disruption for a brief time even preceding the bolt as the charge accumulates. This could disrupt the GPS, LightBridge, and control signals. Not to mention GPS signals are going to be inherently weaker in cload cover.

On a technical note, it would be hit by lightning, not thunder.

I think making it water resistant is not impossible, waterproof would be!

Then again you can't get decent shots in the rain

Then again you can't get decent shots in the rain

If you were looking for the filmic mood of aerial video of rain, I would disagree; in that case you could certainly get decent shots in the rain. :) Just think of The Matrix fight-scene in the rain in the cityscape - Neo vs Smith

In fact, I think a movie shot in rain would be quite cool - as it would be something different than the perfect-weather-beautiful-aerial-videos we've all seen before.

It is a bit like filming fireworks - by flying into the area where the air bombs explode. It really is something - but also quite risky for the equipment.

PS: I'm not gonna volunteer my P3Pro for that rain-shoot ;)

Hello.. I have had an idea for a water resistant/proof/Splash down protection called - Phantom Water Jacket, this is a one piece item at the moment for the Phantom 3 range it will protect the camera & lower body + motors & will be incredibly easy to fit & still allow filming.. just need help with my prototype.. I'm in Colchester, Essex - anyone who's interested in helping please get in contact, help required in the moulding of plastics..

Also with some modifications of my idea it maybe possible to achieve filming in wet weather...

Hello.. I have had an idea for a water resistant/proof/Splash down protection called - Phantom Water Jacket, this is a one piece item at the moment for the Phantom 3 range it will protect the camera & lower body + motors & will be incredibly easy to fit & still allow filming.. just need help with my prototype.. I'm in Colchester, Essex - anyone who's interested in helping please get in contact, help required in the moulding of plastics..

The Phantom is the wrong platform to try and transform into an all-weather MR.

GE silicone used wisely and selective use of Saran Wrap.
There is a YouTube video that shows the easy 3 steps to flying in the rain

You can tape, and caulk, and wrap all u want 'cause someone on YT did it.

It's still the wrong platform.

I'm sure you realize that such treatments have drawbacks.
Is your point that someone did it and that makes it something you'd recommend?

My advice is clear.

Same issue here in Wales lots of wind and rain

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl